dheltzel
More than 200 activated members causes problems with group admin
  • 2004/7/21 3:38

• dheltzel

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/1/8 1

There is a new way of handling the select boxes that list users at the bottom of the group admin page if the number of active users is > 200. The new method allows you to delete users from the group, but not add new ones to the group. The offending code starts at line 117 in the modules/system/admin/groups/groups.php file.

Making this value higher than 200 eventually causes a totally blank page (PHP script timeout?). The logic here needs some work, the way that users are added or deleted from groups should not change with the number of users in the system.

Dennis

irmtfan
Re: More than 200 activated members causes problems with group admin
  • 2004/7/21 11:17

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

you talk about add a user to a group in over 200 members??
look at this topic:
https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=19396&forum=7#forumpost84626
any suggestion for solve this problem ???

dheltzel
  • 2004/7/21 17:20

• dheltzel

• Not too shy to talk

It seems like this is the intended behavior. Clicking the "Find users for this group" link does allow you to search for users and add them into the group, but it doesn't filter out users that are already in the group, allowing you to add them multiple times. That can't be good.

The correct behavior, since we are intending to add users to the group, would be to only include users who are not currently in the group. The current situation makes the management of groups with many users to be very difficult.

Dennis

Mithrandir

I guess it is possible to change the "find users" admin functionality to exclude members of a certain group. Will look into that, when I get a spare moment

Besides that, I plan to include group management in "edit user" so you will be able to edit a user and manage his or her groups from the edit user page.

dheltzel
  • 2004/7/21 18:30

• dheltzel

• Not too shy to talk

I don't want to hack the core files too much, so I think I'll construct a custom page to do what needs to be done. I did want to point out the problem so that someone with more experience can make an elegant solution.

Dennis

m0nty
  • 2004/7/21 18:41

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

if i remember that actual code limits the viewable amt per page..

i had to reduce mine down to 150 instead of 200 as i was whitepaged everytime i tried to edit a group with over 200 members

this was due to memory limit in php.ini being set at 8mb

i don't think many have this problem at all when memory is set to higher than 16mb

but there have been a few threads regarding this issue..

just search for blank page on group settings or sommat like that..

but i like the idea that mith mentioned about being able to select the group the user is in from the edit user page.. :)

sdmacint
  • 2004/8/14 20:31

• sdmacint

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/11/9

Quote:

Mithrandir wrote:
Besides that, I plan to include group management in "edit user" so you will be able to edit a user and manage his or her groups from the edit user page.

Great idea! Can't wait!

Sean

jegelstaff

Quote:

sdmacint wrote:
Quote:

Mithrandir wrote:

Great idea! Can't wait!

Sean

Indeed!!! My 2 cents are completely behind this, it is sorely needed. In fact, I need it so badly that I was thinking of making a hack to do it in the next few days. Does such a hack already exist? Or Mith, can you elaborate on the timeline for releasing this feature? My company might be interested in paying for development of some key admin features like this. PM me if you want to talk about it.

--Julian

jmass
  • 2004/8/31 3:29

• jmass

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/12/18

Funny... I posted about this exact same issue this weekend. No responses. This occured after I inmported 160 (over 200 total) users into the DB. No one seemed to know what is going on. I assumed that with a site like xoops.org with thousands of members, that more than 200 would not be a problem. I see now that I am not alone. Is everyone with 200+ users having this trouble?

Then I concluded that this was intended behavior, due to memory exaughtion issues caused by displying so many registerd users. Is it or not? A definite answer is needed.

I hope there is a fix to the not suplicating users in groups soon.

JMass

bobdt
  • 2004/8/31 5:18

• bobdt

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/9/11

But over xoops.org there is over 20000 user registred why this site live without problem? Big server with large memory????

One of my site have about 200 member registred and work more with myads module and there is 5 to 10 new member at the day, then I must think in few days this will stop of work?
Actualy this site are runnining with about 300 other site over an linux RH server with 1gb of ram and the server dont have problem.

Bob

Login

Who's Online

277 user(s) are online (186 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 277

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits