gordy
XOOPS vs phpBB vs IPB vs VBulletin
  • 2004/8/2 21:00

• gordy

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/8 2

I've been working on making a list of features other forums have and comparing them with XOOPS. We currently have a site package and we're looking to incorporate forums but XOOPS does more than our current package does. I'm trying to convince the company I work for to go with XOOPS for 200-300 web sites in the next year. It would be great because I would be able to work on modules professionally and the community would gain a huge number of sites. Here's what I have so far. Any suggestions would be a great help!

http://dev.sun-enews.com/xoopsvseveryone.htm

brash
Re: XOOPS vs phpBB vs IPB vs VBulletin
  • 2004/8/2 22:33

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

You can add XOOPS to the user rating criteria. The next version of NewBB which is the forum module that comes with XOOPS will have this feature. From what I can tellit is mostly complete, and should be included with the next major version of Xoops. You can download it and give it a try for yourself from dev.xoops.org

kiwiguy
  • 2004/8/3 13:14

• kiwiguy

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/4/19

Hey gordy looked at your list and your incorrect on one thing I am using invision power board and you do have a buddy list in it as you state there isn't.

Thought you like to know that and I feel IPB has way more functionality than the XOOPS forum board but thats my opinion.

If your wondering where I seen the buddy list how about checking out the private message section of it and it says next to the name that has sent you a message {add to buddy list} maybe this was a oversight on your part.

cheers
kiwi

m0nty
  • 2004/8/3 13:39

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

another thing to note is - XOOPS is a CMS system whereas invision, phpbb and vbulletin are just forum/message boards.

xoops has far more features & functions than any of them put together.

so comparing them to XOOPS is not really a fair comparison.

intel352
  • 2004/8/3 15:03

• intel352

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/11/23

if he's focusing more on newbb -> phpbb -> ipb, etc, then it might be a fair comparison (tho obviously newbb loses)

fyi, phpbb and ipb ported modules exist for XOOPS at bbpixel.com, and over at dev.xoops.org, i'm working on a fully integrated phpbb, but i'm not touching XOOPS core, which means XOOPS private messaging and whatnot will not be changed to the phpbb method.

buddylist abilities could be added to xoops, it would be a nice feature.

Montag
  • 2004/8/3 15:14

• Montag

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/14

What does it mean "built in file-sharing"?

intel352
  • 2004/8/3 16:34

• intel352

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/11/23

File Attachments?

gordy
  • 2004/8/3 16:38

• gordy

• Just popping in

See... we currently have a cms and we want to add forums to it and I'm trying to put together something that says why add forums and other things when XOOPS already comes with it all. So I'm comparing what they want me to add to what comes with XOOPS.

The file sharing is my downloads.

gordy
  • 2004/8/4 18:10

• gordy

• Just popping in

Looks like we're going to convert over to XOOPS. I'm so excited, I'm going to be paid to develope modules! Woohoo!

slugo
  • 2004/8/5 11:19

• slugo

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/4 1

U need to pay for VB...er...phpBB is free, IPB is free for a kind of demo version and XOOPS is best

Login

Who's Online

171 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 171

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits