MrGrey
w3c compliance
  • 2008/10/23 15:49

• MrGrey

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/4/13

Understanding effects of XOOPS w3c compliance

According to different sources this non compliance does NOT EFFECT webpages BROWSER appearence. That I understand.

How big is the divergence from w3c? I have seen both xhtml and CSS abrevations around, so I guess the divergence is small.

Perhaps it is a little stupid with percents, but IF... is it 0.01% 0.1% 1.0% or 10% divergence?

Is there any typical kind of divergence that easily can be pinpointed? In xhtml, in CSS or even some special area?
Templates?
Themes?
[size=xx-small]
Yes, searched but no find.[/size]

sailjapan
Re: w3c non compliance effects

Where is it stated that XOOPS does not comply with w3c? Sounds like you are quoting something...
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

MrGrey
Re: w3c compliance
  • 2008/10/24 13:31

• MrGrey

• Just popping in

Personaly I don't know noothing... but there where some places I saw it... It was also somewhere on the Xoops, but I don't find that now.

https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=ASC&topic_id=60660&forum=27&move=next

Seak XOOPS (non xhtml)
http://www.cmsmatrix.org/matrix/cms-matrix

So I was wrong then? ...it's nowadays fully w3c compliant although cms matrix is faulty. Huh?

------------
Please moderator change this thread headlines to the one I use here. If misleading... I think.

Anonymous
  • 2008/10/24 14:02

• Anonymous

• Since:

If my understanding is correct (and it very likely isn't!), there are issues with themes that use tables to control page layouts.

Many (perhaps older) themes use tables in the theme.html file so it can be as basic as that. Many (perhaps newer) themes control layouts using tableless css-based code.

It goes deeper than that, of course, because even if a theme uses tableless css-based layouts, many modules (and their blocks) do not.

Please tell me if my understanding is bollix

sailjapan

interesting links, Mr.Grey. thanks.
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

MrGrey
  • 2008/10/24 16:13

• MrGrey

• Just popping in

Thank god it's friday... and I use CSS

JasonFrank75

w3c is really hard stuff)

ghia
  • 2008/11/14 19:12

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

Compliance is not a matter of percentages. You do have it or you do not.
In the years that XOOPS exists, standards have been shifted and to bridge the gap, there are transitional standards too.
The core is designed to be compliant, but a lot of themes and modules do not comply with the latest standards (or even not with the older ones). And then there is also the user which can add in WYSIWYG editors html content, which may also be a source of non-compliance.

So, altough designed and intented to, XOOPS may not be compliant.

You can check the compliance with the W3C validator. If you run it for this thread, my check found 183 errors (altough a lot are structured doubles and when you fix 1 error, you fix a lot).

To know if a site is compliant, all pages must be compliant and that means passing the test for all occurences and combinations.

Many sites label themselves as W3C compliant, but in reality only a few small and static sites pass the test. Read all about the Markup Validition in this FAQ.

ianez
  • 2008/11/20 12:54

• ianez

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/1/26

I totally agree with ghia..
every site should conform to those universal standard and hopefully every browser should respect them...
the whole web is full of sites showing the w3c compliance icon as a flag of quality... but being validated by w3c don't make a site a good site .

Actually, except some minor details, ALL the xhtml and css generated by XOOPS is valid. More communication efforts should be taken to inform theme developers but above all module developers about standard markups for XOOPS and general lines for xtml+css compliance.
I suggest also, that more clear and rigid rules should be created in order to generate a kind of 'offical repository' containing only modules and themes that have w3c compliance, css templates (or clean table templates), accessibility features, adeguate compliance with XOOPS standards and Smarty.
that way developers will find their way to develop honest code, wich personally I prefer to cool graphics using non-standard or very messed code.

Ian

sailjapan

You volunteering?

Login

Who's Online

213 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 213

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits