svaha
Re: The Wave of Change IS Upon Us!
  • 2007/4/17 20:09

• svaha

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/8/2 2

Nice to read that Skalpa's health has improved.
What doesn't kill me,
makes me stronger.

http://exm.amevita.eu
http://www.amevita.eu
http://www.alohaspirit.nl

vaughan
  • 2007/4/18 16:25

• vaughan

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/11/26

yes, great news James :)

and more to come in time too :)

in a nutshell we are all working behind the scenes now to speed things up more (well i say all, at the moment i'm not due to my day job schedule taking me away from home for days at a time, although i think i'm working local to where i live next week. but the week after & next month i'll be working away again which is unfortunate timing on my part).

but anyway, be assured times are changing and all being well, for the better.

vaughan
  • 2007/4/18 19:36

• vaughan

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/11/26

Quote:

preachur wrote:
I am really looking forward to it. I have to ask: Any idea of when we might see this?

we can't give a time frame as of yet, originally 2.0.x users would be able to move to XOOPS 2.3 while XOOPS 2.2.x users would have to wait for 2.4 before both versions merged into 1 single development path.

due to the nature of this and the communities response etc and a shift in management processes and development due to recent events, it was decided by skalpa that 2.0.x & 2.2.x versions should be merged together as soon as possible to create just 1 development path before the move to 2.3, so that every XOOPS user will be able to move forward at 1 time and that there is no more confusion etc due to 2 different XOOPS versions being developed.

essentially this merge is what the community has asked for and in my opinion it is a much wanted move. Bring the development back into just 1 version and then move forward from there.

preachur
  • 2007/4/18 21:23

• preachur

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2006/2/4 4

That's cool. I actually have a live site running on 2.2.5-rc2. If any developers want admin access to run tests, that would be fine.
Magick can never be restrained, but when freely given is thrice regained!

ladysham
  • 2007/4/19 3:56

• ladysham

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/11/11

I have worked with XOOPS for many years. And I have continued to do so, in spite of issues here on the main website. People have come and gone and come back again since I have been a member here.

Some of the things that I think would help restore some confidence in this project are administrative in nature. Grunt work - if you'd like to call it that. I would like to offer my services to help in some of those areas.

Here are some things that I have identified that I would be willing to help with if needed:

1. The module repository. Someone should head up a small "committee" or team that would be willing to go through all the modules. Ones that are no longer active can be archived - others that have newer versions can be updated and kept up to date when new versions are released. This would significantly lower the level of frustration of old and new users alike that are looking for working, stable modules. If one person could head this up, and "manage" a team working together, I think it would greatly enhance the XOOPS community as a whole.

2. The XOOPS Newsletter. Seriously, I think this needs to be resurrected and sent out regularly. There are many users that would be willing to share their expertise and tips for using Xoops. One person could coordinate a newsletter and/or manage a team of contributors, get the newsletter approved by someone, and email it to all users on a regular basis.

3. I would love to see the forums as an RSS feed. I am using an RSS reader more and more and love the flexibility it gives me to keep up with what's going on in categories I'm interested in. Any possibility of this?

As I stated before, I am more than willing to volunteer on any of these projects. I would rather spend some of my valuable time doing these administrative functions (which is my expertise) and free up the developers and programmers to do what they do best. And I know that there are others that would like to help too. How about letting someone else help organize community volunteers?

If anyone from the XOOPS dev or core team would like some help, please call on me.
Kelly Ling
Shamrock's Web Design
http://www.shamrocksweb.com

If you're coming to see my house - give me two weeks. If you're coming to see ME - come any time!

Chappy
  • 2007/4/19 4:33

• Chappy

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/12/14

This is welcome news after an utterly ridiculous, nearly obscene weekend. I am sure this will be a major step forward.

I do hope though that there will be a long, genuine, and fervent effort to work towards building more community. There is a cry for patience. Patience is much easier to obtain when a depth of community and all that it entails is in place - communicating, supporting, treating one another with a modicum of decency.

If we fail to respect one another - then the software and indeed XOOPS may just as well sign off now. The truth is - this past weekend reminded me of so many nasty fights I've seen in the name of religion. Inevitably, one split leads to another, leads to another, ad infinitum (perhaps a cautionary word to those who feel they can do better?). I really don't want to be around that kind of atmosphere. And we harm ourselves if we leave folks around here who have NO interest in community. Since about 2002 (I think it's been that long?) I've been stopping by here often three or four times a day. For some of that time, it's been a cheery experience where people help each other and do so kindly, saying thanks, etc. But, these folks who just come in here to tear the hell out of the community - they don't care about the wake they leave, the people they hurt. The community must come first, IMHO. I hope we can commit to that. Committing to a code release is much smaller potatoes...A few process changes and the other stuff will be fine. Nothing can cover for disrespect.

This speaks to my calls for someone to assist with steering XOOPS who is not primarily a coder, someone who advocates for both the community AND the developers. I genuinely hope that this is heard. I think it will benefit the community in important ways.

I apologize for all the ramblings... I'm just trying to make sense of all the sad stuff of this weekend here at XOOPS and - maybe in a larger sense - the pain life inflicts via mean people (eg. the UV shootings). I hope we can get on to being a kind place again...
MMM...It tastes like chicken! ...

carnuke
  • 2007/4/19 8:04

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

Thank-you Chappy, I fully support and endorse your comments in that last post.

In addition, I must add that having these conversations here on a public forum is absurd and destructive to the reputation of xoops. There should be at least one forum open to all registered members that is NOT visible to public and robots. Not an exclusive private fourm for the elite, but a place for constructive, creative discussion that at least attempts to do our dirty washing in private.

For example xoops.org feedback and suggestions should be open to registered members ONLY, not public
http://houseofstrauss.co.uk Resource for alternative health and holistic lifestyle
search xoops

comflash2
  • 2007/4/19 9:03

• comflash2

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/1 1

Really happy to see XOOPS moving ahead again. I almost switch to Drupal due to lack of XOOPS Core development. I'm not expert in XOOPS coding (API, Modules, etc) but i'm experience PHP programmer. I definitely lend a part of my time to help XOOPS development.
Act Like Lightning FLASH

MadFish
  • 2007/4/19 9:24

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

Quote:
I must add that having these conversations here on a public forum is absurd and destructive to the reputation of xoops. There should be at least one forum open to all registered members that is NOT visible to public and robots. Not an exclusive private fourm for the elite, but a place for constructive, creative discussion that at least attempts to do our dirty washing in private.

I agree. It is pretty embarrassing to submit a project proposal using XOOPS when you know the donor's first visit will be to a flamewar on xoops.org. So if it is possible to set up such a forum please do.

carnuke
  • 2007/4/19 13:09

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

So how about it forum moderators?

Will you give us a members only forum that is for discussing topics not available for Joe Public and crawlers to see?

There are many such topics, including security issues as well as some of these heated discussions.

What's the point?

1- Stops Google et al making everything we do here visible
2- Stops the casual lurker viewing in house conversations
3- Provides a place to transfer contentious posts away from public.

So users only have to register to see it!

1- sure, but google cant register
2- The general visitor may not bother to register.
3- Registered users are easier to track.
http://houseofstrauss.co.uk Resource for alternative health and holistic lifestyle
search xoops

Login

Who's Online

111 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 111

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits