clare12345
Why is no one posting on my site?
  • 2007/2/23 13:32

• clare12345

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/2/2 1

I think its pretty straight-foreward. You register, log in, and post. Or just read posts. I've had visitors, but no posts!!!

Is there something about my site that makes people not want to post? I figured people would love to post complaints about stores or services they don't like or that they loved.

What should I do? Design issues or content issues? I need some advice!

Thank you

www.PickYourStore.com
www.PickYourStore.com
A forum to rate/review stores and services.

jeffgr
Re: Why is no one posting on my site?
  • 2007/2/23 13:46

• jeffgr

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/2/22

Perhaps your topic area "store reviews" is too vague for most people to be really driven to register and post...what I mean by this is, that maybe you need to focus the site on a sub-topic a bit more....so, instead of just "store reviews", you present the site as being about"

"NJ store reviews"
"Bad service NJ"
"NJ great store reviews"
"America's best stores"
"America's worst stores & products"

that sort of thing. I find that if you don't narrow down any topic like this, at least a little bit, people are both not really compelled to post and/or get that unfocused feeling when you are given a blank sheet of paper and are compelled to write something...they need a bit more prompting, that's all.

Just my 2 cents... :)

Speed
  • 2007/2/23 15:18

• Speed

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/5/18

Quote:
I figured people would love to post complaints about stores or services they don't like or that they loved.

People that want to complain typically want to be anonymous.

People that love something don't normally post.

gestroud
  • 2007/2/23 17:59

• gestroud

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/12/22

Also, it kind of looks like the site is still under construction. The home page is seems pretty empty. Maybe you might consider filling up some of the space in the center column with some of the latest comment, latest posts and latest reviews blocks - even if you're the only one who's posted so far.

One suggestion is to use some relevant content from free article providers like Adfusion, GoArticles, EzineArticles, Article Trader, Article Hub, Articles On, Content Infusion, NewsUSA, etc. There are dozens of good categories and some of the sites have affiliate programs.

Anonymous
  • 2007/2/23 18:56

• Anonymous

• Since:

That is good advice from Gestroud, particularly the bit about a list of recent posts on the homepage. Newbb/CBB has those blocks available to you and it's "free content" coz it's your's and already there.

Also, that is a very daunting list of Forums........ goes on forever and makes it very hard for the viewer to be certain that they're about to post in the right section. I feel you need to rationalise the list a bit. Sometimes "less is more".

Rationalising the list would also make it seem like your site is being used - empty Forums give the impression of a lack of activity (even if it is true!).

I would join in but I'm in the UK ;)

Sublime
  • 2007/2/24 4:24

• Sublime

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/5/23

Best advise I can give you is start talking to yourself in the forums...seriously. Just start making topics in your various forums about things that will drive people to comment. Ask questions in your topics to get responses...usually after people start replying to a few posts they'll make their own.

clare12345
  • 2007/2/24 17:26

• clare12345

• Just popping in

Thank all of you very much for giving me some ideas. I'm going to think it over and re-arrange some content, and make it more focused on certain types of content. Great tips so far! Thank you!!
Clare
www.PickYourStore.com
www.PickYourStore.com

rabideau
  • 2007/2/24 19:01

• rabideau

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/4/25

You should also be aware that about 95% of all website visitors simply lurk and do not register or post.

In order to get interaction you really need to have a compelling topic or area. By and large, I find the forums add little value or activity to a site except when there is a TON of interest.

It's actually bad enough that there are firms you can pay real money to that will then create forum activity on your site...
Pax vobiscum,
...mark

may the road rise to meet your feet!

http://treemagic.org

clare12345
  • 2007/3/1 17:20

• clare12345

• Just popping in

You guys have been very helpful. I have changed some things around and we will see if it works! :)
www.PickYourStore.com

sourcingmap
  • 2007/3/2 3:27

• sourcingmap

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/1/4 2

no doubtly it has something to do with you content issuse.
your content must be attractive and questionary, so that the visitors who have read your post,will be interesting in it and will take to ponder on it !
So the posts were coming !

Login

Who's Online

195 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 195

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits