Mercury
User Control of Font Size ??
  • 2007/1/8 0:13

• Mercury

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/3/29

Greetings,

A number of months ago I came across a site that allowed the user to change the font size. This is a great feature for those who can't read small lettering. Is there an easy way to do this in xoops?

Thanks!

McPheron
Re: User Control of Font Size ??
  • 2007/1/8 16:40

• McPheron

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/6/25

Users who can't read small print will normally use the browser built in methods for zooming and style sheet control. A couple years ago it was popular to use something like styleswitcher from A list apart. In my opinion it is just extra work that isn't supported across alot of browsers.

You could turn on theme switching in XOOPS and have a few variations of your theme to choose fom in the same manner.

I think there are even some Ajax methods floating around.

I recommend that you just allow users with visual impairments to use their own browser controls. Most methods you deploy will conflict with the browser settings anyway.

Mercury
  • 2007/1/8 16:56

• Mercury

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/3/29

Thanks for the response. That is helpful. Does MS Internet Explorer now have an easy way for the user to increase font size? I know Firefox does...

DarinAllan

I had sent you a PM Mercury I may have what you need

Peekay
  • 2007/1/8 22:40

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Quote:
Does MS Internet Explorer now have an easy way for the user to increase font size?

You could always change the font-size in Internet Explorer for the Mac. The fact that the PC version didn't do this is shameful. I too hope that this has been addressed in IE7.

If not, Firefox will allow those with impaired vision to enlarge type in every website.

The argument for using proportional type specification in websites simply to accommodate browsers that have their type-scaling resources limited by hardware - and to meet the failings of IE - is wearing a little thin, (IMHO).
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

preachur
  • 2009/8/5 23:37

• preachur

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2006/2/4 4

There once was a designer on here (2005) WHO RELEASED A THEME FOR THE VISUALLY IMPAIRED where users could control the text sizes. Unfortunately he got fed up and converted all his sites to wordpress.
Magick can never be restrained, but when freely given is thrice regained!

ghia
  • 2009/8/6 1:14

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

You can find a widget for it in the Morphogenesis based themes from eg Kris and Voltan.

DarinAllan

I did what Ghia suggests on this site

http://www.ozms.com.au/

Login

Who's Online

244 user(s) are online (161 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 244

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits