blazin6543
renaming modules

is there a way to rename the module folders??? like liaise renamed to contact??? only thing i could think of is edit each file but that could take awhile

rabideau
Re: renaming modules
  • 2006/5/7 2:49

• rabideau

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/4/25

You can detemine the labels users see from your Admin--Modules area. Just rename things as you'd like.
Pax vobiscum,
...mark

may the road rise to meet your feet!

http://treemagic.org

hyperpod
  • 2006/5/7 3:17

• hyperpod

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/10/4

Quote:

blazin6543 wrote:
is there a way to rename the module folders??? like liaise renamed to contact??? only thing i could think of is edit each file but that could take awhile

That is how to do it... and you have to catch every spot for this including the html templates and code.

Its now always easy either.

Also, as rabideau said, you can simply rename the module in admin | modules if you only want the menu and headings to change, but if you want the URL and folder to change, you will have to hand edit the entire module.

What is it exactly that you would need to change?

Best regards,
Daniel Hall / XOOPS Module Development & Theme Design
Free XOOPS Support > My Wish List

iHackCode

a week or two ago i downloaded smartsection. it had some instructions on how to duplicate the module.

for SmartSection it said: (If you wanted to name the module called SmartNews)

*note this is only a part of the instructions from SmartSection
Quote:
- With a tool that let you perform find and replace (case sensitively !) in all files of a directory (Advanced Find and Replace is a good example), perform the following changes in all the files of the module :
- SmartSection => SmartNews
- smartsection => smartnews
- SMARTSECTION => SMARTNEWS
- Smartsection => Smartnews
- SSECTION => SNEWS

it was my first time cloning a module like this. . i used ultraedit to edit the files. cloning other modules should be similar . right? (not rhetorical, i am not sure myself.)

some info i found . havent tried any of the things below. but others might have and may provide feedback.
-
i just noticed that there was a hacks section for the news on this site.. Hacks : The cloning of a module
kinda old. should still be useful

-
i was looking through the FAQ and saw this .
How to rename modules without touching the database?
CBB / LatestNews / Publisher / XM-Spotlight

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Chris03
  • 2006/5/7 7:22

• Chris03

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/2/22

check out www.kickassamd.com we have like 7 clones of the news module, renamed every single module to something more normal sounding.

We used "Actual Search and Replace" to fix all the names within each file. Then just renamed each file as needed
KickassAMD

OldFriend
  • 2006/5/14 5:17

• OldFriend

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/10/28

I would like to see core and module developers making it easier to clone modules. A simple variable set in xoops_version.php file for the dir name and DB prefix should make it fairly easy to do.

Chris03
  • 2006/5/14 7:43

• Chris03

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/2/22

Also would have to change the functions names etc etc or you get errors when 2 blocks from cloned modules appear on same page...
KickassAMD

Login

Who's Online

171 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 171

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits