I thought about an easier way on how to rename modules, without the hassle of saving and restoring database contents.
Some modules really have weird names (like debaser) which look ugly in an URL.
The modules will be called nice and ugly module. Here are the necessary steps:
1. Make a copy of the ugly module and save it to your PC
2. Rename it to a nice module
3. Take a good editor! and search the paths to the ugly module and replace with the paths to the nice module
4. Open xoops_version of the nice AND the ugly module and comment out the lines that start with $modversion[tables]... like this:
//$modversion['tables'] = 'tinyeditor_toolset';
//$modversion['tables'] = 'tinyeditor_mimetypes';
5. Deactivate, deinstall and delete the ugly module
6. Copy the nice module to your server and install it (generate templates if needed)
7. Remove the comments in xoops_version.php you made in step 4 if you want really deinstall the module one day
Needless to say, that only cowards make a database-backup before doing the above!