tedsmith
Something very fishy going on....
  • 2006/5/1 18:36

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

My new(ish) site, www.Chddesden.org has been fine for weeks. Today though, I clicked on one of the menu options and I got the screen that I usually get when I've just bought a domain name but not built a site yet - like the default index.html page that the web host provides (see this screenshot).

As the day has progressed it's got worse and worse showing it to me randomly, but not every time. Until the last few minutes that is, and now, it seems to appear whenever I try to access my site at all!!

I've logged in with FTP and everything looks OK - all the XOOPS files are there. So what gives? I am paid up-to-date as well.

Help! Does this look like a hack job? Does it happen if other people access it (I've only got the two machines at home and it happens on both, one of which is Linux). If the site shows up normally when you access it can you just click a few things and tell me if it happens after three or four clicks, becauase that's when it seems to happen the most. I'm really rather worried.

Ted

Will_H
Re: Something very fishy going on....
  • 2006/5/1 18:52

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/10/10

well check for any html docs in your root directory, it my just be their suspension page. there should be an index.html, but it should only have one line in it.

also isps take different times to resolve, its possible thet your isp has not done so.

jensclas

What does your site host say?

m0nty
  • 2006/5/1 18:56

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

ted, i think this maybe a temp internet routing problem with dns servers etc..

i'm unable to access many of my usual sites today even some sites that i search for on google.. just getting can't find server errors.

it does happen occasionally when 1 of the larger/main connection routes go down, you maybe able to access some pages, but other sites may fail.. it depends on which route is used from your isp to the destination.. i would give it a day as they usually fix these problems quite quickly.. but i should check with your host that the dns and nameserver settings are correct..

spankee
  • 2006/5/1 19:00

• spankee

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/11/13

It looks like he is hosting the site himself at home.

I get an error "Firefox cannot find the serverhttp://www.chddesden.org/"
Maybe your ISP is blocking port 80.

Quest
  • 2006/5/1 19:00

• Quest

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/11/19

I just checked the site you linked and it is not showing the page at all. Can Not Be Displayed error.

tedsmith
  • 2006/5/1 19:04

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

Spankee - it's commercially hosted by NamesCo.

Monty - I had also noticed that the Internet was running slow today, but wondered if it was my Internet connection or a problem with my router. If other people like yourself are experiencing difficutlies that may explain it.

It is a bank holiday here in the UK today so lots of people probably downloading stuff too which might not be helping.

I will rest easy until tomorrow and see if the problem persists. Trouble with these things is that if anyone tires to use the site they'll think it's bust, a little odd, and just never come back!

Incidentally - we ought to arrange a local XOOPS meeting for us folk in the Midlands. I've seen a few guys posting from Nottingham, Derby etc. Seeing as you're in the same county we should go for a beer or two one day

Thanks all

Ted

Will_H
  • 2006/5/1 19:07

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/10/10

Quote:
Explanation: The IP address for the website you requested could not be found.

Login

Who's Online

221 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 221

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits