rabideau
Downgrade script...
  • 2006/3/11 15:50

• rabideau

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/4/25

Has anyone succeeded in getting the downgrade script to function? (2.2.x to 2.0.13) So far as I can tell the script does not function.

Any help??? I saw one other note on this topic but no one responded to it. If there are only two of us who have failed at using the script please help us out. If the script does not function, please (someone) remove it from the site.
Pax vobiscum,
...mark

may the road rise to meet your feet!

http://treemagic.org

Herko
Re: Downgrade script...
  • 2006/3/11 16:20

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

What exactly goes wrong? Did you replace all the 2.2.x files with 2.0.13.2 files? Do you have any special modifications? Modified profiles, XOOPS 2.2 specific modules perhaps? What happens to the databse? ANy error messages or debug information?

Without this kind of information, there's not much anyone can do. It has been tested moderately (not extensively), so any debug info is very welcome.

Herko

rabideau
  • 2006/3/11 16:47

• rabideau

• Home away from home

I'll give it another try and document the process entirely. If it works, I'll pass along operating instructions; if not I'll send the details for debug purposes.
Pax vobiscum,
...mark

rabideau
  • 2006/3/11 17:25

• rabideau

• Home away from home

Okay so here's my tale of woe -- or here's the process I followed and what I saw:

1. Download the XOOPS Downgrade script
2. Backup entire site software
3. Backup site DB
4. saved mainfile.php file for later use
5. over-write XOOPS 2.2.x directory with the XOOPS full
install 2.0.13 (minus the install directory)
6. uploaded Downgrade.php script to the server, placed it in the top level (public_html) directory
7. uploaded saved mainfile.php script to the top level (public_html) directory
8. logged in to the site as admin
9. ranhttp://yoursite.com/downgrade.php
10. Ran Downgrade script components
-----config
-----blocks
-----users
11. went to the admin page (had to enterhttp://yoursite.com/admin.php in order to get there)
12. Saw the "This is your first time message..."
13. Logged in and saw tons of error messages (I ignored them and pressed on so far as I could, see below) Mostly I got 4 errors which repeated many times:

Notice [PHP]: Only variable references should be returned by reference in file C:\Program Files\xampp\htdocs\manyroads\include\functions.php line 491
Notice [PHP]: Only variable references should be returned by reference in file C:\Program Files\xampp\htdocs\manyroads\class\module.textsanitizer.php line 259
Notice [PHP]: Only variable references should be returned by reference in file C:\Program Files\xampp\htdocs\manyroads\kernel\configitem.php line 103
Notice [PHP]: Only variable references should be returned by reference in file C:\Program Files\xampp\htdocs\manyroads\kernel\configitem.php line 97
Notice [PHP]: Only variable references should be returned by reference in file C:\Program Files\xampp\htdocs\manyroads\class\xoopsform\form.php line 324

Attempted to Login to the site and saw a completely garbled theme... went back to admin and changed the site theme to default...
None of the themes I had seemed to work including the XOOPS standard default theme.
None of the site pages reloaded automatically (I always need to Click if the page does not automatically reload).

I attempted to perform a System update from the System Admin function. The following errors were returned when I ran that function for repair:

ERROR: Could not recompile template system_imagemanager.html.
ERROR: Could not insert template system_imagemanager2.html to the database.
ERROR: Could not insert template system_userinfo.html to the database.
ERROR: Could not insert template system_userform.html to the database.
ERROR: Could not insert template system_rss.html to the database.
ERROR: Could not insert template system_redirect.html to the database.
ERROR: Could not insert template system_comment.html to the database.
ERROR: Could not insert template system_comments_flat.html to the database.
ERROR: Could not insert template system_comments_thread.html to the database.
ERROR: Could not insert template system_comments_nest.html to the database.
ERROR: Could not insert template system_siteclosed.html to the database.
ERROR: Could not insert template system_dummy.html to the database.
ERROR: Could not insert template system_notification_list.html to the database.
ERROR: Could not insert template system_notification_select.html to the database.
ERROR: Could not insert template system_block_dummy.html to the database.
Rebuilding blocks...
ERROR: Could not create User Menu
ERROR: Could not create Login
ERROR: Could not create Search
ERROR: Could not create Waiting Contents
ERROR: Could not create Main Menu
ERROR: Could not create Site Info
ERROR: Could not create Who's Online
ERROR: Could not create Top Posters
ERROR: Could not create New Members
ERROR: Could not create Recent Comments
ERROR: Could not create Notification Options
ERROR: Could not create Themes

and then a little humor, I think:

Module System updated successfully.

All in all, I think the script is not operational, at least not on my site. Any ideas????
Pax vobiscum,
...mark

svaha
  • 2006/3/11 18:07

• svaha

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/8/2 2

Did you upload the Framework\xoops22 folder? (Just a question)

[edit] and other questions : Deleted the templates_c, the profile files etc. in \cache directory?
What doesn't kill me,
makes me stronger.

http://exm.amevita.eu
http://www.amevita.eu
http://www.alohaspirit.nl

rabideau
  • 2006/3/11 18:22

• rabideau

• Home away from home

The

C:\Program Files\xampp\htdocs\manyroads\Frameworks\xoops22

is on my test site... So I guess the answer is yes .

Although I had no idea I did. It must have been in the 2.0.13 build.
Pax vobiscum,
...mark

preachur
  • 2006/3/13 3:06

• preachur

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2006/2/4 4

I posted this somewhere else, but I will post it here again in case you are about to lose your whole site because of a downgrade script malfunction:

I had to re-build my whole site after trying to use the downgrade script. I lost a user database of over 80 people.

After this bad experience I decided to experiment. If you have the ability to run a SQL query on your database you can save your site. If your downgrade goes bad, and it seems like you have lost everything:

1) Upload all files from the XOOPS 2.0.13.1 to 2.2.3 Final Upgrade package onto your server EXCEPT the install directory.

2) Run the query on your database using the mysql.structure text file in the install/sql folder. Then you will be able to get back in to your administration and update all of your modules again.

I wish I had tried this before I started all over. It could have avoided allot of work, AND it could have saved my users a bunch of grief as well.
Magick can never be restrained, but when freely given is thrice regained!

defwind77
  • 2006/3/13 12:52

• defwind77

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/11/11

yeah, doesn't work for me either - it messes up the whole site - can't login, admin etc...

Trying to restore from backups now - certainly wouldn't recommend it, particularly as it has no log or 'undo' method.

rabideau
  • 2006/3/13 14:38

• rabideau

• Home away from home

Dealing with a downgrade... the manual way.

Having tried to use the XOOPS downgrade script without success I decided to try a manual downgrade of my largest site (in terms of total content). I am happy to announce that this was a "success". My site is now fully operational at version 2.0.13.2 of XOOPS back from 2.2.1. There is one important point worth noting and that is I had no users to migrate-- all of my sites are completely open access and therefore require no user access except by me as site admin. Known potential and definite problem areas:

1. I am unable to provide any insight into downgrading users (perhaps someone else can add to our total body of knowledge here! hint, hint).
2. Wf-links and wf-downloads seem to have problems rolling backwards (I've had to manually convert)
3. smartFAQ seems to have access problems for anonymous users after downgrade

The bottom line is that if you are careful this process is quite simple and not very time consuming (about 2 hours per site is my guess). So here's the process I followed:
Setup a test environment and perform the following in that environment (do not do this on your production site... unless you want to lose it).

1. Get a complete clean copy of the latest supported version of XOOPS (in my case 2.0.13.2) and place it in an appropriate directory
2. Identify those modules you are using on your production site and download them
3. Perform a clean XOOPS install
4. Access your "new"downgraded XOOPS install and add your modules (be sure to test each as you add them to be certain they function with the Downgrade version of Xoops)
5. Once you have all your modules installed and functioning, create a DB backup (just in case you run into problems later, you can always come back to this step).

On your production site:

1. Create a DB backup (I use complete inserts, drop, etc. I set almost every option available so that the sql generated will be added into my new DB); also make certain your versions of MySQL are compatible (if not you'll need to account for that).
2. Backup your production mainfile.php (you'll need it later)
3. Download your DB backup to your work environment

On your work environment

1. Open your DB (I use phpMyAdmin)
2. Open your production DB sql file in an editor
3. Copy the sql for the modules your downgrading (I use 'insert"); note avoid any that have to do with users or any other aspect that is different in version 2.0.x and 2.2.x.
4. I tested each module as they were updated... you might consider that or risk it by testing later.
5. Once you have all your module data transfered; test your downgraded system.

With both your production system and Work environment open (two separate windows)

1. Make edits to your blocks (I cut and paste between the 2.2.x and 2.0.13.2 versions)
2. Update your metadata (I cut and paste between the 2.2.x and 2.0.13.2 versions)
3. Update and sequence your visible modules on the Main Menu
When your done with this and have tested it to your satisfaction make a backup of your DB for later upload to your production site.
If everything worked as it did for me, you'll now have a downgraded XOOPS site on your work environment
machine!

Create a XOOPS public_html file structure upload to your production machine.

On your production site:

1. Shutdown your production site (I just blew mine up... didn't much need any type of finesse, in my case).
2. Delete your modules directory(you'll want this populated with clean 2.0.13.2 XOOPS scripts not 2.2.x materials.
3. Upload your 2.0.13.2 XOOPS material to your production site
4. Fix access rights on cache, templates_c, uploads Copy your saved mainfile.php (over-writing that from your work environment machine)
5. Using your DB backup (and phpMyAdmin) drop all the contents of your 2.2.x database
6. Insert your DB with the backup copy from your work environment machine.

Voila! You're downgraded.... if you'd like to visit my 2.0.13.2 site it is at:http://eirenicon.org

Now wasn't that easy!?!?!?!?!
Pax vobiscum,
...mark

Mantooth
  • 2006/3/13 17:12

• Mantooth

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/11/2

i tried to use the downgrade script one time and had a mess of problems.

in my opinion, using a backup is a whole lot simpler than trying to downgrade.

i've also learned along the way that using xampp and testing upgrades on my localhost is a really good idea. that way, you can know what errors/difficulties you might have on your production site.

on a side note...it really annoys me that you can only load tiny sql dumps using phpmyadmin. it took me many hours to figure out how to go into the command line and manually type in the correct command to load my 70mb database.

I hate Mortal Kombat

Login

Who's Online

149 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 149

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits