Peekay
Domain hosted here. Website elsewhere. How to do?
  • 2005/9/19 19:19

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Apologies in advance if I have got any of this wrong, but here goes.

I understand that my domain registrar enters details of my domain names on the DNS. This information resolves requests for the domain names to an IP address - which is the address of their web server (they also host the web sites).

I have two questions:

1) Say for some technical reason I needed to host a site on another host's web server. If I asked my registrar to set up the DNS details for a domain to point to this server, I assume this would just require them to enter the IP address of the new host's web server in the DNS record for the domain instead of their own?

2) If the new host operated a shared server, I assume it is simple enough for them to direct incoming requests for the domain name to the folder where my website files are stored *without* them having to host the domain too?

(I have looked at numerous sites about the DNS and none make me any wiser about question 2).

I am happy with my registrar, but I would prefer to have more flexibility on where sites are hosted. Unfortunately, when I have enquired about this many web hosts want me to transfer the domain to themselves too. If this is not necessary I would like to know exactly what information the respective parties need from me to enable my domains to stay where they are and the site be hosted elsewhere.

Any advice would be appreciated.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

Herko
Re: Domain hosted here. Website elsewhere. How to do?
  • 2005/9/19 19:43

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

the way I do it is like this:

I have my domains registered at godaddy.com, and setup my own nameservers for every domain. These nameservers are the ones of the hoster of my websites. They need to add the domains and have them point to your account on the server the site is hosted. Some reseller accounts allow you to set this up yourself (that's what I do). That way you point the domain nameservers to the hosters DNS, and there you set it up tp point to your account(s).

I hope that helps

Herko

gestroud
  • 2005/9/19 19:51

• gestroud

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/12/22

You can register your domain with anyone you want to and have it hosted with any company of your choice. (read the fine print. some Registrars offer reduced prices only if you host your site on their servers.)

Some Registrars offer a Control Panel for their users to make changes to their domain name server. If yours doesn't, you should contact them once you know what your new name servers are.
(dns1.abc.com, dns2.abc.com or ns1.abc.com, ns2.abc.com)

Peekay
  • 2005/9/19 21:22

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Thx guys, so is this right?

If I register 'mysite.com' with my registrar and let them host the site, my DNS record for that domain shows:

dns0.myregistrar.net
dns2.myregistrar.net

these are the two nameservers on their network that point incoming requests for 'mysite.com' to a folder on one of their own web servers. If I wanted the site hosted elsewhere, my registrar would simply change the DNS record for 'mysite.com' to show, e.g.

dns0.newwebhost.com
dns1.newwebhost.com

and it would be up to the new web host to configure these (their) nameservers to direct requests to the right folder on their web server.

So for me to buy web hosting *only* I just need to:

1) Tell the web host the domain name I plan to use for the web space.
2) Ask them for their nameserver details and
3) Give those details to my domain registrar.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

LazyBadger

No...
As most of explanation it's terrible mix of errors, misinterpretation and god know that alse...
If you want see to see full picture, it will be long story, and we must start from theoretical basics
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Webmaster of
XOOPS2.RU
XOOPS Modules Proving Ground
XOOPS Themes Exhibition

gestroud
  • 2005/9/19 23:06

• gestroud

• Home away from home

Here's how it works:

I have most of my sites registered with Aplus.net because they were charging $5.00 for domain registration. They automatically associated my domains with their name servers [(example) ns1.abc.com, ns2.abc.com ], which I don't want because I used another company, ForExampleHosting.com, to host my sites (they charged more for registration.)

After registration was complete, I went into Aplus.net's Client Control Panel where I have the ability to designate what name server I want to use.

Once I know the names of the name servers that ForExampleHosting.com has set my sites on, I'm ready to go. (You have to get the information from them. It will be something like dns1.forexamplehost.com, dns2.forexamplehost.com or ns1forexamplehost.com, ns2.forexamplehost.com.)

If your Registrar has a control panel for its customers, you would look for the section that allows you to manage your domain name servers and change your server names to the new ones.

If they don't provide a control panel, you'll have to contact them with the information.

gestroud
  • 2005/9/19 23:11

• gestroud

• Home away from home

Quote:

Peekay wrote:
So for me to buy web hosting *only* I just need to:

1) Tell the web host the domain name I plan to use for the web space.
2) Ask them for their nameserver details and
3) Give those details to my domain registrar.

1. yes
2. yes
3. yes

At least that's the way it works here in the U.S. Going by LazyBadger's reply, it may work differently elsewhere.

jdseymour

Another solution would be, if your Domain Provider does not supply a control panel so you can manage your domain, would be to get the provider to point the DNS to one of the following DNS management servers, then you can have control of the name to point it where you choose. See these services:

EveryDNS.net

and

ZoneEdit.com

HTH.

Login

Who's Online

164 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 1

Guests: 163

Farell,

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!