m0nty
New XOOPS News Team
  • 2005/3/28 2:29

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

After a few discussions in the past few months and with the recent XOOPS Foundation launch after XoopsDEM. There's been lots going on in the world of XOOPS and it became apparent after reading THIS topic that improvements can be made in all areas, 1 of these areas is keeping everyone informed of what's going on.

Another area of particular interest is aimed at promoting Xoops, an example of which you can see in THIS excellent article by Chappy.

of course there's also the WOX newsletter which will also be returning.

anyone wanting to help out is welcome, and suggestions are more than welcome..

Mithrandir
Re: New XOOPS News Team

*cough* *bump*

Herko
  • 2005/3/28 18:51

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

I'll put some of the (immature) ideas that I have about a News Team here, for your consideration and discussion.

I see the work of the News Desk Team as part of the XOOPS.org site maitenance activities, and as such, it should fit in with the other activities in that 'category' (others are FAQ maitenance, repository and library maitenance, forum moderation).
The news is our official channel which the XOOPS.org project uses to inform the community. But as we discussed in the excellent PR thread, XOOPS has been focussing it's communications too much to the incrowd. Therefore I would like to see the news desk evolve (in small steps) towards a more professional news service for everything XOOPS.

How do I see this, you ask? (how kind, thank you ) These are just some of the ideas that my mind has spawned, in no particular order:
- reporters who write news articles about YAXS sites, development news, CMS news, web developments, design news etc.;
- in collaboration with the docs team, themes design team, dev teams write longer A List Apart style articles;
- Categorised newsletter by e-mail where people can subscribe to;
- news feeds management (RSS etc.);
- Expertise on Document Management and Meta information use for XOOPS developments.

There probably are many more ideas, but these give a nice view of the level of comitment and professionalism I'd like to see. XOOPS.org is a portal, and the news section should be one of it's main attractions, that keeps attracting and inviting people back to the website.

Herko

davidl2
  • 2005/3/28 22:52

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

I'm interested in helping on this - although I am going to be off line for a few days while moving.

Please contact me by PM as I should be online on and off over the next few days.

thanks all

m0nty
  • 2005/3/29 1:39

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

Quote:

- reporters who write news articles about YAXS sites, development news, CMS news, web developments, design news etc.;
- in collaboration with the docs team, themes design team, dev teams write longer A List Apart style articles;
- Categorised newsletter by e-mail where people can subscribe to;
- news feeds management (RSS etc.);
- Expertise on Document Management and Meta information use for XOOPS developments

The YAXS sites speaks for itself and I agree it would help a lot of people in their decisions for using XOOPS if they could actually read articles about how XOOPS is used by various websites.
Chappy's Ministry article is a good example of this as it explains how XOOPS was/could be used by religious groups to promote their church etc, of course there are other ways this will help.

A focus/targeted approach regarding YAXS would work well i think. for example, picking a profession or industry.. if there were articles related to how XOOPS can be used to promote your business or hobby with a detailed overview of the possiblities presented by each area with examples if need be, then a user will already be able to get some idea as to how XOOPS could possibly help them.

-Development news needs addressing especially with all that's going on lately and the upcoming XOOPS 2.1/2.2 release, we need to keep everyone more informed, this would mean news team members and core/module developers communicating a bit more aswell as scouting through the dev site for relevant news. some of this news should be brought to the attention of regular users in as less of a technical way as possible.

maybe producing a non technical but informative newsletter along with a seperate technical/developers newsletter aimed at developers and the more techy people..

regular user surveys for both members and non members aimed at giving us an idea of peoples habits, how tech minded they are, do they find certain areas of XOOPS better than others etc etc, these kind of user surveys can provide a lot of info for us to work and improve on things..

The Liaise module would be ideal for those..

there's certainly a lot for a news desk team to accomplish anyhow.

JasonMR
  • 2005/3/29 6:47

• JasonMR

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/6/21

I could do a write up of our first Sydney XOOPS User Group Meeting, if this is regarded as appropriate.

m0nty
  • 2005/3/29 7:22

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

i think that would be a XXXX idea Jason ;)

just don't get to legless tho and go walkabouts..

JasonMR
  • 2005/3/29 9:14

• JasonMR

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/6/21

I contact you then, when ready

davidl2
  • 2005/4/1 9:41

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Looking forward to this one

Login

Who's Online

211 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 211

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits