psychicadvis
Witch to download (tar.gz) or (zip)

Ok with this being my first time every downloading it was suggested to down load the 209 on but it has and tar or zip??witch should I use casue I don't know whta is what with these files or programs.Thanks sorry for all the Q's

Herko
Re: Witch to download (tar.gz) or (zip)
  • 2005/2/8 15:07

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Never say sorry for asking questions. That's how we all started and learned

The Tarball (tar.bz/gz) is a Linux compressed archive, and all the files within are in the Linux formatting (UTF8 I think).
The Zipped version is for windows users who can use winzip or another archiving tool to extract the contents.

I hope this helps!

Herko

Gambero[removed]

Download tar.gz archive beacause it is better. Then uncompress with WinRar in windows.

psychicadvis

yes it does thanks so much I am doing it now!!I'll le you know how it tuurns out

carnuke
  • 2005/2/8 19:00

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

psychicadvis we often and easily overlook the simple things that can really trip up a beginner. Thanks for your question, its now listed in the FAQs.

Richard

Dave_L
  • 2005/2/8 19:25

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

As far as I know, the extracted contents of the .zip and .tar.gz XOOPS distributions are identical.

I usually download the .tar.gz, even on Windows, since the .tar.gz is smaller, and WinZip reads a .tar.gz as well as a .zip. The only drawback to using WinZip is that it doesn't test the integrity of a .tar.gz archive, so I do that with the freeware gzip.exe obtained fromhttp://www.gzip.org/

psychicadvis

Thanks so much for all your help and for getting to me fast,I glad to see that it is in thier now casue I read over that first before coming with my QQcasue i self toucht myself allot of this already and if i understand tis right it is for me hehehe!I'm doing my download now I waited to be sure thats the one to download so as soon as i do you all can see my fabualous site from teh help of xoops.org!!!!

Login

Who's Online

96 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 96

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits