Tanith
New host time / what is "high traffic"?
  • 2005/1/26 15:59

• Tanith

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/6 2

Quoting from another thread, but starting a new one so as not to drag the other thread totally off-topic:

Quote:
Generally, what is the maximum amount of traffic that an XOOPS site can handle on a shared server (without frequent slowdowns, crashes, or getting shutdown by the hosting service)?

I am really hoping someone can give at least a rough answer to this question.

Also, what level of traffic is considered a high-traffic site, what level moderate, etc?

I'm maintaining a site for a friend who's away on a road-trip. She used to get traffic of about 1500 pages served a day; recently it's gone up to an average of 17000 pages served a day this month. (That's pages, not unique hits - since the site is down, I can't get into the logs to give more details.) That does not, to me, look like a huge amount of traffic, even though it's a big increase. However, the host says our site was crashing the server, and after some back and forth with tech support trying to sort it out (two weeks of it going down, being put back up, and crashing again), they have said they think we should find a new host because we have too much traffic and too many hits on the database from our main page for them to handle.

We have 64 blocks on the main page, most of them cached, and the most users I've ever seen online at one time was 40 or 50 (registered users and browsers). Usually it's more like 20. I notice that as I type this, Xoops.org has 148 users online.

So - I'm looking around at new hosts, considering Hostrocket.com right now. I'm basically looking for some feedback on whether I am right to think that my current host is being profoundly crap over this, and an idea of how much traffic is considered "high traffic" for Xoops. I am also fairly clueless when it comes to the more technical end of things, so I have no clue how to work out how much bandwidth I need per month (current host is unmetered traffic). Hostrocket's cheapest deal comes with more than enough space for us (the whole site is only abouot 25 mg), and 50gb bandwidth a month. The site will have a photo gallery at some point but at the moment it's mostly forums and text, no film clips or sound files or anything of that nature.

All and any feedback welcomed, thanks.

Tanith
Re: New host time / what is "high traffic"?
  • 2005/1/26 16:42

• Tanith

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/6 2

Also - I'm pretty much looking at 3 hosts right now:

http://www.onsmart.net/linux.htm
http://www.planetxoops.com/
http://hostrocket.com

Preferably paying around $10 a month or less.

Any experience with these hosts, positive or negative? I know Planet XOOPS hosts this site, so I assume they're pretty darn good. I could get more bandwidth cheaper elsewhere, but I really don't know how much I need.

paRabola
  • 2005/1/27 5:44

• paRabola

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/7 2

My host handles XOOPS fine, and I don't think your site is really that high traffic. Obviously they just couldn't handle it. I'd say high traffic would be 50+GB, Mid range 10-50GB, low under 10GB. Re: the experience, sorry can't help you there. Never been with any of those.

If you're wondering who I'm with,http://hosting.cats-computing.com

puldom
  • 2005/2/2 1:56

• puldom

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/29

Quote:

Tanith wrote:
Quoting from another thread, but starting a new one so as not to drag the other thread totally off-topic:

Quote:
Generally, what is the maximum amount of traffic that an XOOPS site can handle on a shared server (without frequent slowdowns, crashes, or getting shutdown by the hosting service)?

I am really hoping someone can give at least a rough answer to this question.

Also, what level of traffic is considered a high-traffic site, what level moderate, etc?

I'm maintaining a site for a friend who's away on a road-trip. She used to get traffic of about 1500 pages served a day; recently it's gone up to an average of 17000 pages served a day this month. (That's pages, not unique hits - since the site is down, I can't get into the logs to give more details.) That does not, to me, look like a huge amount of traffic, even though it's a big increase. However, the host says our site was crashing the server, and after some back and forth with tech support trying to sort it out (two weeks of it going down, being put back up, and crashing again), they have said they think we should find a new host because we have too much traffic and too many hits on the database from our main page for them to handle.

We have 64 blocks on the main page, most of them cached, and the most users I've ever seen online at one time was 40 or 50 (registered users and browsers). Usually it's more like 20. I notice that as I type this, Xoops.org has 148 users online.

So - I'm looking around at new hosts, considering Hostrocket.com right now. I'm basically looking for some feedback on whether I am right to think that my current host is being profoundly crap over this, and an idea of how much traffic is considered "high traffic" for Xoops. I am also fairly clueless when it comes to the more technical end of things, so I have no clue how to work out how much bandwidth I need per month (current host is unmetered traffic). Hostrocket's cheapest deal comes with more than enough space for us (the whole site is only abouot 25 mg), and 50gb bandwidth a month. The site will have a photo gallery at some point but at the moment it's mostly forums and text, no film clips or sound files or anything of that nature.

All and any feedback welcomed, thanks.

Xman04
  • 2005/2/3 22:35

• Xman04

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/7/12

I found this site, which helps to determine bandwidth requirements.

http://www.newbienet.com/site_management/webhost_bandwidth_calculator.php

I would be interested to know some real numbers/stats for an actual high traffic XOOPS site. I think this would help us all better evaluate the different hosting plans available, since bandwidth is a critical factor to consider when choosing a web plan. Maybe xoops.org or another high traffic XOOPS web site will share their web site statistics with us.

For example, I would be interested to know how many people visit xoops.org per day, how many pages are viewed on average per visitor, average file size of a page, and how much disk space is utilized. I would guess that xoops.org is a high traffic site, and thus the stats for this site would provide some insight into what we should be looking for in a web host (especially if we aspire to have a high traffic XOOPS site in the future).

It would also be helpful to see the statistics of moderate and low traffic web sites, so that XOOPS users of all sizes and traffic volumes will be able to find the most well suited hosting plan for their site.

Without having any kind of guide for what we may need for bandwidth and disk space, it would be very easy to pay too much for bandwidth/space we don't need, or run out of bandwidth/space because we didn't choose a host with enough capacity.

Dave

brash
  • 2005/2/3 22:47

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Hi Dave,

great little find there . From memory we are using around 20GB a month from about 18000 page views a day on one of the popular XOOPS websites I work on. We are looking at reducing this though as the theme and amount of content we are currently using on a given page is pretty graphics intensive and is sucking a lot of bandwidth.

Xman04
  • 2005/2/4 17:24

• Xman04

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/7/12

Hi Brash,

Thank you for the information about your web site. It certainly gives me a better idea about bandwidth requirements.

Are you on a shared host or a dedicated server? And, how does your site perform at 18000 page views per day?

Dave

Mithrandir

It would really be nice if hosts could learn to specify exactly what they mean, when they say:

1) Your site generates too much traffic
2) Your site has too many database queries
3) Your site uses too many server resources

We are constantly trying to improve things like database query counts, but we are more or less working blindly here as even though we can reduce the amount of queries, there is no guarantee that this will lessen the load on the server or generate less traffic - on the contrary, the better, faster, more secure sites one can make with XOOPS the higher is the probability that the site becomes popular... and generates a lot of traffic

Mithrandir

Off the top of my head, here are some numbers from xoops.org websites (www.xoops.org, dev.xoops.org, docs.xoops.org):

Daily visitors: 30.000 (very insecure on this figure)
Daily pageviews: approx. 150.000 (more secure on this one)
Concurrently users online: 100-150 (according to who's online block)

the xoops.org websites run on a dedicated server with the database running on the same server - a dual 700 MHz PIII with a couple of gigs of RAM, I believe - that will probably be upgraded in the not-so-distant future as it has trouble coping with the load.

The biggest resource-hogger on the xoops.org websites is the searches, generating a large percentage of the server load. This is probably mainly due to the 90.000 forum posts in the 20.000 forum threads, we have here.

Login

Who's Online

262 user(s) are online (176 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 262

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits