jfebus
Note from my hosting service
  • 2004/11/19 12:52

• jfebus

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/1 1

Hi All,

I got this email from my hosting service.

Any idea of what is causing the problems?

Quote:
We have been monitoring this site for the past 2 days, and the php executions are using 100% of the cpu time causing the server to become unstable. I have temperarily stooped this site for testing purposes, and the server once again is stable. We ask that you look at the queries it is executing, as this cannot be allowed to monopolize the whole server.

Best Regards,

Jose

Mithrandir
Re: Note from my hosting service

It is desirable, when asking for help, to actually give some information along the way.

What are you running on the server? XOOPS version? Modules? Number of regular visitors? Anything, you can come up with in that regard.

jfebus
  • 2004/11/19 13:12

• jfebus

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/1 1

Hi,

i am using XOOPS 2.0.7, with xcgal, newbb, smartfaq, xoopspoll and I have 2,000 visitor daily. The server is windows running iis...

and my host had a DOS attack to days ago!

It is possible that the high CPU usage be related to the DOS Attack?

Thanks,,

Mestophales

2000 users daily??? Have you always had that traffic?
The database is inundated with constant queries to login, etc. How many user record does your DB have?

detar
  • 2004/12/5 15:52

• detar

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/11/22

it could be a DOS attack...

try to install Anti-DOS module for XOOPS at this link :Anti DOS

hope can help..
;)

detar
----
indonesia : where air is water

ajaxbr
  • 2004/12/5 17:50

• ajaxbr

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/10/25

The hosting guys should give you more info, like what pages/threads/whatever are causing that. Are your 2000 users registered users that visit daily, 2000 visitors a day, 2000 registered users, other (please specify), Cowboy Neal?

Slightly OT: can we run a profiler in a large site like... xoops.org?

brash
  • 2004/12/5 21:14

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

In addition to what the others have said, it might be worth having a look at this thread.

jphilipson
  • 2004/12/30 12:06

• jphilipson

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/12/30

Wouldn't it be your hosts job to find out what script it was? Just another kid with a $99 dedicated server that doesn't know how to run it IMO .. I would have found out exactly where the problem was and did something to fix it, rather than send a vague note to a customer. .....

Wilkinsa
  • 2005/1/2 16:34

• Wilkinsa

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/4/13

Jphilipson,
Do you believe a host can go through 100+ peoples code (per server) plus his own and make sure that there will be no issues? Its simply not possible to run down every error or hack in everybodies code. Now yes your host should be able to give you an idea of what actual page or scripts is causing the probelm as they can see what process is taking so much of the CPU. Also read the TOS sometimes its against the TOS for the host to actualy mess with the code or site the only thing he can do (because of the contract) is suspend or unsuspend accounts. (along with create and terminate) Now I am not saying that poor support is justified I am just saying make sure you try and comminicate to your host the issues and ask the questions your being asked here.

-Adam

jphilipson
  • 2005/1/5 8:38

• jphilipson

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/12/30

Quote:

Wilkinsa wrote:
Jphilipson,
Do you believe a host can go through 100+ peoples code (per server) plus his own and make sure that there will be no issues? Its simply not possible to run down every error or hack in everybodies code. Now yes your host should be able to give you an idea of what actual page or scripts is causing the probelm as they can see what process is taking so much of the CPU. Also read the TOS sometimes its against the TOS for the host to actualy mess with the code or site the only thing he can do (because of the contract) is suspend or unsuspend accounts. (along with create and terminate) Now I am not saying that poor support is justified I am just saying make sure you try and comminicate to your host the issues and ask the questions your being asked here.

-Adam

I didn't say anything about a host going through every script or whatever, what i said, I good sysadmin can find out exactly what is causing a particular issue with the server, and then make an informed suggestion to the customor on how to fix it. I do this all the time myself, takes a few minutes for each occurance. If one knew how to get the relevent info from the server, then its no problem at all nailing these issues down. I stand by my position.. I qualified and schooled sysadmin can do things that a novice can't .. and when said novice doesn't know what to do they pass the buck to the customer.

Login

Who's Online

170 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 170

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits