josecruz
tchinese, schinese and multilanguage
  • 2004/3/29 6:02

• josecruz

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/3/28

Hi everybody,

it's been awhile.

I've been contracted to put together a new website for a japanese client that wants to make a web presence in mainland china.

I've been using the multilanguage hack successfully for several months on a couple of different sites now and thought that it would be no challenge to make it work for a chinese site as long as I had all the language files installed properly.

But it turns out that when I install all the language files for tchinese, schinese, japanese english and spanish, all of them work flawlessly with multilanguage except for the schinese. In every instance, whether working with official modules or third party stuff (like xf-sections), schinese always reverts to the english entries for the user interface, but content encoded to show up in schinese (I use the tags [sc][/sc]) always comes out fine. I've even tried copying bits of the GB2312 encoded text from the schinese language files and pasting them in between [sc][/sc] tags and they come up ok too. On the other hand I'm not sure if they come up REALLY properly or not, as I can read japanese but can't really read chinese.

More strange behaviour is that when schinese has been selected as the language in the pop-up menu, the administration interface shows the raw php entries for language such as "_AM_POSTNEWARTICLE". It does this in some parts of the user interface as well, such as the notifications boxes.

It's as if the system simply can't see the language files even tho' I can see them there, and having looked at their contents I can see that they're ok.

Like I said the tchinese and japanese interface comes up perfectly so I'm pretty sure that it's not a multibyte problem, after all selecting schinese simply makes the interface jump to English (with those missing bits that show only the php entries).

Anyone know what might be going on?

Jose

josecruz
Re: tchinese, schinese and multilanguage
  • 2004/3/29 6:37

• josecruz

• Just popping in

some more info:

when I looked at the source code for the rendered page for this site, when I change the language interface the smarty variables in the theme that return language encoding ($xoops_langcode

josecruz
  • 2004/3/31 0:40

• josecruz

• Just popping in

I figured out most of the problem,

I didn't check the permissions of all the folders after I downloaded the different language packs for each module I was planning to install.

I found that some of them had the wrong permissions and after I fixed that, All was fine, no need even for a module update.

Jose

phppp
  • 2004/3/31 0:49

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

Quote:

josecruz wrote:
I've been using the multilanguage hack successfully for several months on a couple of different sites ...

Suppose you have been familiar enough with the Multilingual hack.
However, I feel that you have mis-configured something and not installed all required language files.

josecruz
  • 2004/3/31 6:21

• josecruz

• Just popping in

exactly,

It was the folder permissions on the download of the schinese lang files for agendax and xf-sections.

Jose

rh94040
  • 2004/4/13 7:17

• rh94040

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/4/13

Hi There,
Could you please tell me where you got the Chinese
(in particular simplified Chinese) language packs
for XOOP? I've searched for them on the XOOPS site
for a while with no luck. The only one I found was
a GB translation for the XFsection module.

I'm looking for translations for XOOP and all its
default system modules.

Thanks a lot,
Ray

limecity
  • 2004/5/19 6:32

• limecity

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/7/6 0

Everything u need is here
simplified chinese :

https://xoops.org/general/download.php#xoops2

Now i need schinese for weblog...
hmm..and soapbox ..wfsection..
xoopsgallery... tiny content..wfaq

goodluck~

Login

Who's Online

234 user(s) are online (165 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 234

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits