JMorris
Re: Drupal
  • 2005/9/22 10:39

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

First of all, I'd like to clarify. I agree that people should be entitled to their opinions that that there shouldn't be censorship. There have been times when I've gone off on my own rants and the Admins have been overly nice about it. That was greatly appreciated.

However, I believe having "Official Moderators" would not be a sign of weakness, quite on the contrary actually. I believe that having a handful of moderators to guide users to the right resources and to politely remind users of how to be respectful (on the rare occassions it's needed) would be yet another way of reducing the Admin's work load so they can focus on other things.

Some members do this already, but not "Officially". I'm on this board periodically through out the day from 6am - 1am EST (GMT-5). There is a small group of people I see on here all the time that "work" the boards at different shifts. These are well known people who are well respected and are usually quite helpful. It would make sense to give them moderator rights so they can help maintain the forum.

Just my 2 cents.

Best Regards,

James
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

Herko
  • 2005/9/22 10:53

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

OK, but if we're going to have moderators, I'd like to see them do more then just police the forums. I'd like them to make sure questions are answered, put in the right forums, bring important issues to the core team, refer to the FAQ and other sources, etc. Basically, help out as much as one can. I'm not asking for full time work, but as a moderator, I'd like to see you responsible for the quality of a specific (set of) forums.

Thoughts?

Herko

JMorris
  • 2005/9/22 11:00

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Excellent idea!

Well, perhaps it would be best to do section moderators like davidl2 mentioned.

There are some regulars here that are quite adept at providing basic usage help. It would be best to set that moderator responsible for the XOOPS Community Support forums.

Some regulars are more knowledgable about modules. How they are used, which is suitable for what, etc. Set that moderator as responsible for the XOOPS Modules Support forums.

etc, etc.

In other words, capitalize on the strenths of our regulars. This will lighten the load on both the Core Team and the Moderator Team.

EDIT: By matching moderators to forums that match their strengths, you increase the likelyhood that they will be able to provide "quality" help to the end user. You wouldn't want a HTML/CSS coder trying to provide PHP support if he/she doesn't know PHP, now would you?

Best Regards,

James
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

bluenova

Quote:
I'd like them to make sure questions are answered, put in the right forums, bring important issues to the core team, refer to the FAQ and other sources, etc. Basically, help out as much as one can.

This sounds like a great idea. Sometimes it's difficult for those of us who are here almost everyday to remember what it's like to be a newbie and where to look for the right information. We can remember all those little issues, and think 'oh, there was a post about that 3 months ago' and dig it up for the newbie. I know we have a search box, but when you're new you don't always know what you're searching for. And having official moderators means people know they are getting advise from those they can trust and not just Joe Bloggs. (no offence to anybody actually called Joe Bloggs). We all know who the regulars are, but the newbies don't, it's a big daunting world when you first start out.

Lance_
  • 2005/9/22 12:42

• Lance_

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/1/12

If moderators are put in place and you want them to do some extra curricular activities, assign them a section of the FAQ or other article section, and have them recheck the info. Then we can have the whole lot of document people and moderators working together to get everything up to speed. And help in getting the moderators even more knowlegeable about their section.

Also, since this is done as time permits, there should be at least 3 moderators per section to get everything covered most of the time.

Cheers.
GDL-Web.com :: Website development.
Xoopslance.com::Freelancing and Projects
thelionsden-arena.net:: Clan/League/Ladder Hosting

Speed
  • 2005/9/22 14:00

• Speed

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/5/18

I love Xoops. :)

You guys take a pissy tirade and turn it into a productive new direction for Xoops. And I can't even remember what the original poster was whining about anymore because the moderators polishing the forums, FAQs, etc is so exciting!

davidl2
  • 2005/9/22 15:12

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

It's very true though.. best thing to do with any problem is to try and turn it around into a solution.

riosoft
  • 2005/9/22 16:15

• riosoft

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/11/8

It's ok to me that forums have certain moderation. A good idea could be a system of points: each user has the possibility of scoring like "apt" or "nonapt" a commentary. If the valuation reaches a certain level, post would be automatically censored... Others systems uses it!

gediminasbyt

Great people make great ideas. I'm happy to hear some moderation, because some people have no right to be offensive and enjoy the storm they have created.

Even though I don't answer many questions, but I am following what's on XOOPS pretty much every work day 11AM-8PM EST. Once things around me gets settled down I'll try to help and provide more help in things related to *nix, mail and some more.

Jharis
  • 2005/9/22 16:55

• Jharis

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/2/13

Sounds like a good idea. A little focused moderation never hurt.

don (el paso)
motto - green chili for everything!

Login

Who's Online

256 user(s) are online (170 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 256

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits