MadFish
Re: NOT listed at opensourceCMS.com! Why?
  • 2006/1/30 11:32

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

Many thanks.

draj
  • 2006/1/30 13:48

• draj

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/6/23

Quote:

Herko Coomans wrote:
To clarify: what we're working on is this:
Herko

Well, very surprising to myself. Sorry, why do you need to even discuss about it internally? Why do you need to work on it? Just come out and tell the world that 2.2.4 is'nt a bad version!

It may be in the heads of experts what things could be better, but that does not reduce its quality already achieved in 2.2.4.

And I say this because IT IS NOT a bad or unstable version! I use it on a production site with about 25 modules and it works flawless. I have not seen the rreason to downgrade it. The modules included, i.e. extended profiles and pm are really very well programmed.

Moreover, if there are conceptual differences and implementation of different basic or fundamental technological or even logical changes, they may be so minor to many hundreds of people that it would maybe remain unnoticed.

Xoops still remain modular and object-oriented as really well trademarked. I am enjoying the quality of Xoops, especially after using Postnuke for years!!!

Moreover, the only important difference for a new comer would be the time of upgrade 2.2.4 would face in comparision to 2.0.13.2.

Herko
  • 2006/1/30 13:56

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

We are discussing internally because we need to take several things into account:
- the future development based on 2.2
- the future support of 2.2 code
- the future and current development of 2.3/2.4
- compatibility issues
- clear language for both developers AND end-users
- the effect on current 2.2 users and developers

Everyone needs to know what is relevant for them to know about this, and that is more than just saying it's a good version.

THAT's what we're working on

Herko

draj
  • 2006/1/30 14:16

• draj

• Quite a regular

Hi Herko!

Thanks. Nice to know the move.

Regardless about your internal discussions, I fail to believe that you all will leave 2.2.4 users including to myself in fron of a dead-end road!

So!

That means at some day both the branches would meet and I am more than sure, that the Core team including you shall make efforts to merge both the branches. This is a fact. Confidence of users like myself.

May be 2.0.13.2 have a bit more stability or anything that one could dimarcate. The fact it that both the versions are useable.

Question is primarily only in that direction which branch needs to be marketed or promoted and from which branch wants the core team generate more new users, 2.2.4 or 2.0.13.2!

I beleive that that should be objectively left to the users. If there is a small comparision chart and full versions available, the situation to the external world shall be looking different and both the versions would be marketable.

I would also find it unfair against new comers to de-grade the 2.2.4 quality, as it is really not as bad as it could be in somebodys head! Really...

allnewtome
  • 2006/1/30 20:21

• allnewtome

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/11/30

Quote:

m0nty wrote:
2.2.x is for people that really want the new features etc, but i agree this should now be made clear on the downloads pages..

What are the new features etc?

Thanks

draj
  • 2006/1/30 21:53

• draj

• Quite a regular

Hello!

For instance there is an extended profile module shipped with the new version you may find in 2.2.3. This profile module has a possibility to customise fields and fully configure they way you want.

This feature is not available in 2.0.13.x.

Also PM works fine or even better in the new version.

People claim that the older version 2.0.13.x is more stable than the newer. I have found no difference. It is possible that the earlier of the nerwer version was having a bit of bugs. But the versions is very nice and stable.

I fail to understand why the team is taking more tme to rethink in making a statement abou it.

tom
  • 2006/1/30 22:05

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

From what I understand there were a few problems which were programmed deep in and early, which pose a possible problem, and the XOOPS team want to correct that, hence why they are working on that at the moment.

I maybe wrong, but I think thats the gist of it.
Kind Regards.
Tom

http://bassmanthemes.com
http://www.xoopslance.com

draj
  • 2006/1/31 7:54

• draj

• Quite a regular

Hallo Tom!

Thanks. I understand better about the internal discussions. However, I would do it slightly different on the website than you suggested, keeping a bit of politic and user's choice in mind as follows:

Quote:

Download User option 1:
Xoops Recommended version:
XOOPS 2.0.13.2 Stable Full version
(released 2005/10/28)
Upgrade to XOOPS 2.4:
This version will be upgraded within about 2 months to 2.3 and have all the important features of Xoosphere, the new generation of XOOPS framework XOOPS 4! Upgrade 2.3 to 2.4 will follow with upgrade of 2.2.4 to 2.4. If you do not need some new features of XOOPS 2.2.4, we recommend you to use this version.

XOOPS 2.0.13.1 to 2.0.13.2 upgrade patch
(released 2005/10/28)

Download User option 2:
XOOPS 2.2.4 Stable Full version
(released 2006/01/23)
Upgrade to XOOPS 2.4:
We will offer an upgrade to 2.4 within about 4 - 6 months. This version will have all the important features of Xoosphere, the new generation of XOOPS framework XOOPS 4! If you need to use some features of 2.2.4 that are not in 2.0.13.2, only then you may use this version.

XOOPS 2.2.3 Stable to 2.2.4 Stable upgrade patch
(released 2006/01/23

Xoops Development version (Not reccomended for production sites):

Mind you, I have made a change there to 2.2.4 Full! Hence it would be very clear that there are actually two full versions and that can be used or atleast people are using them. Also a community for it and suppport for it exists.

davidl2
  • 2006/1/31 9:33

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Deepy - that's the sort of thing I would think as well...

Poslanik
  • 2006/1/31 15:37

• Poslanik

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/2/11

So, sorry but I'm a bit confused. 2.2.3 will be continued but 2.2.4 won't? If 2.2.4 won't will there be an "outdate" option where webmasters can roll back their XOOPS versions since they won't benefit from discontinued version.

Login

Who's Online

179 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 179

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits