zarron
Re: 2 New Themes for Xoop Peepers!
  • 2004/4/8 19:52

• zarron

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/4/8 1

Hi
I guess you feel good taking credit for other peoples work?
When you downloaded my themes you were bound by my agreement which states:
Quote:

I would like to convert your style for another script, can I?

Yes you can, providing you let us know before you start as there may be someone already doing it.
We have no objection to others converting our styles, providing they do a good job and make it look as close as possible to the original.
You may also place your own link on the style. An example is: "zzz theme by zarron media converted by: xxx"

1. You never contacted us.
2. The header isn't the same.
3. I "hope" the original copyright is at the bottom, with the link intact - otherwise this is breaking the T&C of use. I currently don't know about this as I haven't seen it in action.

I hope you will take note of this and make any needed changes straight away.

Goober
  • 2004/4/9 3:08

• Goober

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/3/30

Quote:

zarron wrote:
Hi
I guess you feel good taking credit for other peoples work?
When you downloaded my themes you were bound by my agreement which states:

Wow! pull your panties out of that bunch!

First of all, I didnt download any theme. The site I viewed was a Phpnuke site, i thought the theme was simple and the colors were nice and proceeded to make a theme based on it for Xoopers - just my way of thanking the peeks that have made such a wonder CMS.

If the site I viewed had provided credit on the bottom of who the author was, (blah theme by xxxxx) i would have been more than happy to provide who the original design was based on. It didn't - so i did include what i did know and provided the names of the themes they were based on, this was also included in the readme file that was included.

If you can provide me with the necessary proof that this is indeed your design i based the XOOPS version on, i will gladly include that in as well as in the readme.

See! easy! tempertamtrum not necessary!

In the future, if i do any more converts, will be sure to change them enough and add different things to avoid finger pointing.

Stay well and Xippy Xooping!

zarron
  • 2004/4/9 10:58

• zarron

• Just popping in

First point: We are talking about 2 themes here.
AirHead and Boyz. If you visit phpbb.com and look at their styles demo you will see that both of these themes are mine:http://www.phpbb.com/styles/demo.php

Nukecops.com converted the themes for nuke with my permission:
http://nukecops.com/article-893-nested-0-0.html
http://nukecops.com/article987.html

Second point: It is your responsibility to find out who made a theme you are going to rip off/duplicate. Lets be honest, the fact that you say there was no copyright info on the site you got it from is irrelivent - you stole both of the designs anyway, I doubt that if there was copyright info you wouldn't have copied them regardless.

You say you know what the themes names were, so why didn't you do a google search to find out more info? There are a lot of links that prove they are my themes.

Third point: Whether you downloaded the theme or stole it, you are still bound by the copyright agreement

The original copyright says:
Quote:

The original "AirHead" theme for phpBB 2.
-------------------------------------------------
Author: Zarron Media
Web:http://www.zarron.com
AirHead is a theme for phpBB 2.0.x
This package contains only images for the english language.
Copyright!
I have spent a long time creating this theme, and I do NOT want other people to change, borrow or steal what I have done.
If this happens there will be no more free themes.
This theme is not for modifying in any way other than putting your own info into the header.
It is not to be converted to any other script theme - like phpnuke, postnuke etc.
Please Do not do this without permission from zarron first.

Please do not disribute this theme without this file information.

Installation
Copy the directory 'AirHead' and all it's sub-directories to your phpBB2 templates/ directory.
Start your web browser and go to the phpBB 2.0.x Administration Panel.
Click Style Admin / Add.
You will see a list of available styles.
Click Install AirHead.
Click General Admin / Configuration and select AirHead as Default Style.
If all registered users should use the AirHead style, then click the Yes button in the
Override user style row.
Otherwise you must edit your user profile.
Then click the Submit button at the bottom of the General Configuration page.

Inside this zip you will find an extra file "logo_blank" this file is for you to put your own logo/slogan on the header.

phpBB is Copyright © 2001 phpBB Group.
The AirHead template is copyright Zarron Media - All images and code is never to be used without permission from Zarron Media.
Do not sell, re-distribute or give away this theme.
http://www.zarron.com

Quote:

The original "Boyz" theme for phpBB 2.
Author: Zarron Media
Web:http://www.zarron.com
Boyz is a theme for phpBB 2.0.x
This package contains only images for the english language.
Copyright!
I have spent a long time creating this theme, and I do NOT want other people to change, borrow or steal what I have done.
If this happens there will be no more free themes.
It is not to be converted to any other script theme - like phpnuke, postnuke etc.
Please Do not do this without permission from zarron first.
Please do not remove my link at the bottom.

Please do not disribute this theme without this file information.

Installation
Copy the directory 'Boyz' and all it's sub-directories to your phpBB2 templates/ directory.
Start your web browser and go to the phpBB 2.0.x Administration Panel.
Click Style Admin / Add.
You will see a list of available styles.
Click Install Boyz.
Click General Admin / Configuration and select Boyz as Default Style.
If all registered users should use the Boyz style, then click the Yes button in the
Override user style row.
Otherwise you must edit your user profile.
Then click the Submit button at the bottom of the General Configuration page.

Inside this zip you will find an extra file "logo_blank" this file is for you to put your own logo/slogan on the header.

phpBB is Copyright © 2001 phpBB Group.
The Boyz template is copyright Zarron Media - All images and code is never to be used without
permission from Zarron Media.

Do not sell, re-distribute or give away this theme.
http://www.zarron.com

As I stated previously, I have no problem with others doing conversions provided they get permission and do a decent job.
At the very least these themes should contain the following in the footer:
Airhead theme by Zarron Media 2003 and Boyz theme by Zarron Media 2003
The zarron media should be linked tohttp://www.zarron.com

Goober
  • 2004/4/9 14:45

• Goober

• Not too shy to talk

Wah Wah Wlah Wah Waaaaah.. sounding like Charlie Brown's teacher!

Ok, cleared up!

The themes have been altered and I removed any reference and credit I gave to ?your? themes.

It wasn't that hard, the only image used prior - that was similar - was the logo.... and even that was shopped

Actually, this was a good lesson. Next time (if there is a next time) I convert a theme, I will change it enough to ensure any finger pointing temper tamptrums [size=xx-small]-as witnessed-suffered through-laughed at-[/size] will be avoided! (sowwy to the xoopies that had to witness it)

So you can calm down now. Grab a Cadbury Egg and relax!

Happy Easter!

Stewdio
  • 2004/4/9 16:30

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

Hey Gooberhead, don't sweat it! I knew I saw it around somewhere and noticed that you gave credit where you thought it originaly came from. You did what you could. Afterall, we can only work with the information we have at hand. If an author of a theme you grab from somwhere doen't properly include credits, it's not your fault that the original author isn't noted and you did try to let people know of that fact.

As for Zarron try sending a PM and resolving it in private before taking it the boards. As you can plainly see, Goob is doing her best to satisfy all interested parties. Saying that she didn't do enough research is irrelevant. Beside, what are you going to do, take her to court. Relax and have a twinkie!

Now if you'll all excuse me, I think I'm going to go play with my pet rock.

zarron
  • 2004/4/9 17:23

• zarron

• Just popping in

Quote:

If an author of a theme you grab from somwhere doen't properly include credits, it's not your fault that the original author isn't noted and you did try to let people know of that fact.

???
I ALWAYS include credits - Don't blame me if some script kiddie decides to remove them and pretend that they made the work.

Quote:

Saying that she didn't do enough research is irrelevant

Of course it isn't. If you are going to copy a theme, know what its called and want to be upfront and honest about it, you would find out more info - this information is VERY easy to find.

Quote:

Beside, what are you going to do, take her to court. Relax and have a twinkie!

Despite what you might think, this is considered a legal issue - its copyright theft and yes it could be taken to court, or at the very least have the website offering the material removed.

What you people have to understand is that this is a product and carries my name. I therefore have to maintain a level of quality. If someone decides they will convert my work and its garbage it will come back to me.

studioC
  • 2004/4/9 17:26

• studioC

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/12/7

hello zarron,
i may understand you, but in this case... it's a nice girl and it's easter ... take one of mine...

michael

Goober
  • 2004/4/9 18:04

• Goober

• Not too shy to talk

Ahhh the voices of reason creep through the ...um...(stuff you scrape off your shoes)

Stewdio - thanks for reminding/pointing out that I did give credit. It's not like I stood up on the Pillar of Pooron and claimed the work as an original.

Personally, I find the whole thing funny. It would be one thing if it is (or was) in fact what Pooron was (is) trying to make it out to be - He could of saved alot of waaaah'n if he would have just popped in, said, "hey, that's mine - could you do this or that..." I would have (gladly) done it. Moot now.....

Well, Pooron doesn't have anything to waaah about now so maybe he'll just fade and this whole thing can be chalked up to a great learning experience! (use words like "interpretation" vs "conversion")

Wonder if easter peeps are on the PETA hitlist?

zarron
  • 2004/4/9 21:23

• zarron

• Just popping in

Quote:

Stewdio - thanks for reminding/pointing out that I did give credit. It's not like I stood up on the Pillar of Pooron and claimed the work as an original.

There was no credit given on this site where you spammed my work. what you actually wrote was:
I've done 2 themes for the XOOPS Peepers! Here's what they look like.

Quote:

He could of saved alot of waaaah'n if he would have just popped in, said, "hey, that's mine - could you do this or that..." I would have (gladly) done it. Moot now.....

err, read my post again - that is exactly what I posted.

Quote:

Well, Pooron doesn't have anything to waaah about now so maybe he'll just fade and this whole thing can be chalked up to a great learning experience! (use words like "interpretation" vs "conversion")

I guess you think writing like a retard and insulting people is funny and I'm happy that you find this whole thing amusing.
You seem to have the idea that I am being hostile but that is far from the truth. My posts have been concise and to the point because I don't want to make idle conversation with you.
I pointed out the issue and solution in my fist post, my second post contained references to proof that the themes were created by me.
You seem to think this is a joke but I have to deal with this crap all the time.

Questions:
What do you think gives you the right to assume you can duplicate someone elses work and call it your own?

How would you feel if someone did that to you?

If you do respond to this please try to write in E-n-g-l-i-s-h without insults please

JackJ
  • 2004/4/9 22:16

• JackJ

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/8/31

This agressive "invader" is bringing some of the well known nukey forum "nastyness" into Xoops. These are friendly forums--notice he just joined to give himself some credit? He is just making a damn fool of himself.

I am generally quite cool, but can't stand schoolgirl bullies, sitting safe behind their cowardly screens. I am ashamed he is from UK. You have given yourself no credit here.

If someone does not ban this ugly natured reminder of Microsoft, you will need to ban me.

Go on post again asshole, we know you will..you can't help it. Was that good enough English for you?

Login

Who's Online

188 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 188

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits