Resized Image

Mikhail
Re: Module Categorization
  • 2003/10/29 9:21

• Mikhail

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/1/19

Next steps:

- upload all +200 modules separately to sourceforge...
- categorization in my computer...
- send the sql file to sunsnapper (hi, sunsnapper! nice to meet you )
- wait for feedback
- fix the inevitable problems (theory of the chaos, murphy's laws , nobody is perfect, etc. hehehe)

COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!!!!

Resized Image

Resized Image

Quote:

Mikhail Miguel wrote:
New filename standard:

mod_X[XOOPSversion]_[modulename]_v[version]_[developer].tar.gz/.zip

In progress:

Directories:

Resized Image

Filenames:

Resized Image

Inside:

Resized Image

king76
  • 2003/10/29 13:14

• king76

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/1/15

Hello,

I'm a french user of XOOPS and I have the same idea for the french's community !! aie aie !!

Have you also "develloped" a module for listing all the module ?

Thks

Herko
  • 2003/10/29 13:58

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

King76,

This project is for the Official XOOPS Module Rerpository, which will be part of the new modules website. This is the place where you can find all the modules. It would be double work (and it is a lot of work!) to have two repositories, in my opinion. My suggestion to the French support comunity is to focus on supporting the french built modules, and refer to the Official Module Repository if people are looking for any modules.

Herko

king76
  • 2003/10/29 14:56

• king76

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/1/15

Hello Herko,

Ok, but I think that the french's comunity prefer to read informations in French so your module Repository will be in english only ! Informations in english, commentary, etc..
Example with modscentral.com, for me it's a good idea, but I don't understand the description of each module :)

Can I say to me, when you finished this project ? The module Repository ? Because I want to "developped" a new Module : "MyRepository", it will be a mix with Mydownload (information, commentary on module) and MyAlbum (screenshot of module), what do you think ?

Thanks.

king

ps : our project : www.xoops-modules.org

sunsnapper

Mikhail, I like the idea. That was cool of you to mock that up. I think we should wait to hear from hsalazar on his ideas before anything is sent to me. He might have other plans.

Also, I'm not certain about including the XOOPS version in the filename, only because some modules may work with multiple versions and some may not. But, that's just my impression, there may be other thoughts on that.

Hsalazar has the lead on this, and I am happy to help any way I can.

Also, I agree with Herko on the organizational scheme he quoted in his post. Just seems easier all around, particularly in the long run.

onokazu
  • 2003/10/29 16:59

• onokazu

• XOOPS Founder

• Since: 2001/12/13

Thanks for your hard work mikhail.

I have a suggestion as to the naming of file packages. I think we should always prefix the packages with 'xoops-' or something like that so they do not get mixed up with packages from other apps. You never know there might be an app called 'mod' and distributes its packages with the 'mod_' prefix.

So my suggestion would be something like below:

Core packages:
xoops2-<core version #>-<core build #>.tar.gz

Theme packages:
xoops2-theme_<theme name>_<theme developer?>-<theme version #>-<theme build #>.tar.gz

Module packages
xoops2-mod_<module name>_<module developer?>-<module version #>-<module build #>.tar.gz

Language packages
xoops2-lang_<lang name>_<lang translator?>-<lang pack version #>-<lang pack build #>.tar.gz

Also, we might not need to attach all x.x.x version number of the core to the packages, since most of them would work even after minor upgrades of the core.

hsalazar
  • 2003/10/29 17:02

• hsalazar

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/2/6 1

sunsnapper:

Nice of you to say I have the lead. Actually, if you take a look at the thread, it was you who started it all, so we could say you have the lead. Then again, the lead should belong to whoever makes a contribution, and in this sense mikhail has the lead.

It's really good to see the interest in this matter. As I've said many times in the core team's conversations, I see myself more as a catalyst than as a leader, so here are some more thoughts regarding what's been said here.

It's a good idea to build a MyModules module. Even though Herko has a point about the difficulty of having separate repositories, XOOPS users need the choice. What would such a module have? Let's see:

a. An ordered list (MyDownloads). The admin should be able to select a default order. The list could have two versions (Spotlight): single line with linked title and double line (the first one, the linked title; the second one, a delimited number of characters from the description.

b. Blocks for Recent modules, Top modules, maybe Top Authors...

c. Each register would have:

--- The module's name (with link to the download. Or should we use several links for the different archive versions?).
--- The module's author (linked name)
--- The module's version (number and date)
--- What's new (short description of most recent change)
--- The module's description (up to 255 chars)
--- The module's screenshot (should we talk about the possibility of linking to a gallery?)
--- The XOOPS version (if applicable)
--- Link to report broken link
--- Link to send module's link to a friend
--- Link to suggest a feature
--- Rate this module
--- Comment this module
--- Links to the Forums' threads on this module
--- Links to former versions of the module

From all this we can see it's mostly a reconfigured MyDownloads module. Shouldn't be that hard for the daring xoopsers around.

An important matter has to do with multilanguage capacities. I've said elsewhere we're looking at how to solve this in the long term, but in the meantime, I'm not sure about this: should we use the hack in the modules site? This way we could have several languages in the same site. The implications are complex, and one of them has to do with the often neglected issue of maintaining content. It's still an open discussion.

I'd say mikhail's ideas are as good as they are fast. As someone who lived the 8.3 era, I welcome the opportunity to use long names. But I also try to be practical. Names that are too long have also implications. I'd go for a somewhat reduced version, maybe:

m205_modulename_version.tar.gz /.zip

m200_addresses_1.5.tar.gz

(Of course, we might include the author's name in the line containing the module's name.)

This stuff about setting standards should not stop here. I like the idea about having inside the archive the real directory name with all relevant stuff. And we should strive to apply the file and block names described in the module kickstart guide (in the Wiki).

One possibility I've been toying with is the use of an expandable tree to list the modules. Something like:

+ Linked category name one
+ Linked category name two
- Linked category name three
.. - Linked module name one
.. - Linked module name two
.. - Linked module name three
+ Linked category name four

We could store an abbreviated description of each category and module in a string of about 80 chars, and on mouseover we could show somewhere either the category description or the module's short description. What do you think of this?

I'd also like to have the whole bunch of modules uploaded and available, but I'd like to suggest another important task before that. Of course this is a personal opinion, and I hope the many authors don't think it a bad idea, but I'd say all the modules need to pass through a process to make them... er... uniform.

What do I mean? I say all the modules need to include (and many don't):

1) A README file with concise installation instructions, including the data that'll be contained in the repository (See above). This should also include a list of the files contained in the archive.

2) A carefully reviewed set of language files. Don't get me wrong, but there are authors that are excellent at handling code, but whose domain of the language isn't at par, so we should check this.

3) A description file, like the .NFO "standard". This should say what the module does. I've installed many modules just to see what they are...

4) Please add here your own ideas.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Excuse the long post, but I do think this is an important matter for the whole community.

LAST MINUTE ADDITION. I just read onokazu's post. Seems like a good idea, and the only additional comment I'd add is that I'd prefer to abbreviate xoops' name. All in all, the relevant point is we need to have a standard and to follow it.

Cheers.

ajaxbr
  • 2003/10/29 17:32

• ajaxbr

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/10/25

I believe the most important feature a official repository is... well... being official
So a MyModules module would be nice (phpBB has one) but the greater goal would be a high quality official repository. Such a repository would have to:
*gives lots of info on modules
*handle module forks, translations and hacks well, making it easy for the user to understand the differences among similar modules
*Perhaps set a quality standard that a module must follow in order to be listed (or given an special approval), like no laguage-dependent strings in non-language files, efficient use of the core classes, readmes, etc.

I believe the language problem should be solved by the hardest but most complete way: make the official repository in english only now and use the momentum to focus on an definitive multilanguage content solution for xoops. In the end, instead of many non-synchronized repositories with conflicting versions (hey, is that Xoops_makemyday_2.13_charleschaplin from Xoopsmods or from Modsxoops?) we get one humongously harmonic repository accessible in many languages.

Herko
  • 2003/10/29 18:52

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

One of the things the Quality Control Team and the Core and Module Development Teams will do is set up a certification process to certify the quality of the XOOPS modules. Certified modules contain at least the points hsalazar addresses, as well as those ajaxbr points out. These certified modules will carry some sort of stamp that shows it is a XOOPS quality module.

Herko

Login

Who's Online

219 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 219

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits