Posted on: 2002/6/14 7:06
Re: Browser cache causing many problems?
I don't know if your problem has been solved, but I've also had many problems with that damn "Sorry..." message.
What I've found during my testing of XOOPS is that the browser is caching the "Sorry..." redirect page and I have to force the browser to refresh the page to make things work right.
For example, consider this scenario...
1. I set anonymous user permissions to the contacts module to off.
2. I logout and try to access the contacts module and get the old "Sorry, you don't have permissions..." message. Good so far.
3. Now I log back in and change the anonymous user permissions to the contacts module to on.
4. I logout and try to access the contacts module and still I get the "Sorry..." message. Not so good anymore.
5. Now, if I try to access the contacts module again, and I immediately press the browser refresh button before the browser can redirect me, I can get to the conacts module.
I think this browser caching issue is causing a lot of the problems that people are attributing to cookies. Also caching may be the cause of problems where it "appears" that updated settings are not taking effect.
Possible solutions to this may be to add a line to the page headers to prevent caching. Either...
<meta-http-equiv="Expires" content="Thursday, 10-Jan-69 00:00:00 GMT">
or <META HTTP-EQUIV="Expires" CONTENT="-1">
or <meta http-equiv="Pragma" content="no_cache">
or <META HTTP-EQUIV="Cache-Control" CONTENT="no cache">