Catzwolf
Re: WF-Downloads v2.0.3 Beta Released
  • 2004/7/5 1:39

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

@Tom:

I beg your apology, my frustration at what seems childish politics looks to have carried over into your post. I am ever so sorry over this. =)

Yes your point is valid and I accept everything you are saying, but what these files are for and how to use them are clearly stated in the install text.txt file within the package, even the changes that we have made to this function. These changes are not essential and will not affect the workability of XOOPS only our module in a very slight way.

I even submitted this small change to the XOOPS Sourceforge development website in the hope of getting it included in the XOOPS 2.0.7 package, but it did not make it. =(

Never mind, we will include this within the module structure just to save any problems in the future.

Liquid

Catzwolf
  • 2004/7/5 2:15

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Quote:

davidl2 wrote:
Please can someone clarify what the situation is with this module? I really do want to use it, as I was quite impressed with the feedback I read from others.

Is it compatible with the standard module? Is it going to replace it? Will I have to delete everything and reinstall a new one? Can I convert things across?

WF-Downloads is a continuation of Catzwolf My Downloads v2 module.

As I stated in another post in this thread, we believed that this was one of Catzwolf's WF-Modules and we inadvertently released it as we did. i.e. WF-Section, WF-Channel etc

But due to the fact that we where told we could not develop it further by the XOOPS Core Team, they believe that this 2.0.2 version belongs to them. So, we decided to fork what we consider to be our own code just to set it apart from the original module. Now we have changed the code so both modules can sit side by side.

There will be an updated script available very soon for those who wish to convert from the original Downloads module to WF-Downloads. This will be available on our website in the next couple of days.

I would just like to add this one further point, I never ever intend get involved in petty politics of any type or nature, but on this occasion, I could not stand back and let what seems the very start at a public smear campaign against someone I know and respect.

So I urge you all to think twice about stepping on any bandwagon, respect his wishes and quietly move on doing our own little thing on the big bad internet. What ever it is you do ;)=

Liquid
WF-Section Webmaster

EDIT: Would it be possible we could get this thread back on topic or close it?

veggieryan

wow..
its getting hot in here..
...just want to say that the latest beta is AWESOME!!!!

it works great! thanks for the hard work!
this is a VERY important module!

cool.
ryan.

intel352
  • 2004/7/5 4:08

• intel352

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/11/23

when i said i wasn't sure of the core team's stand, i was referring to their stand on wanting wf modules for core or not, which would encompass that modified .js file, that's what i was referring to

as for the branch-off remark, it was my impression that it was a branch off, since the files are in XOOPS cvs, it's called mydownloads, was worked on by a XOOPS dev member. true, it's gpl and cannot be restricted by XOOPS core, but it also cannot be restricted by catzwolf, so both parties are mainly looking for respect concerning their respective work (and since wf-downloads/mydownloads code by catzwolf is based off the original mydownloads module as stated, it's not a separate work... unless the whole thing was totally rewritten, but it was still included as gpl, so it's free use with no restrictions... sigh, i'm getting a headache)

anywho, sorry if i caused any consternation, i just posted what i had noted personally.

carnuke
  • 2004/7/5 7:29

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

You know folks... we should start appreciating the hours/days of input these developers do FOR NOTHING except hopefully some genuine thanks and kudos from the community. I think this is a superb development from the original mydownloads module that has received so much criticism and complaint over the months.

At Last we DO have a working moduke that will upload files, securely and effectively.

Liquid, to you and all your contributors a big THANK_YOU. Despite the politics (that have their place) your input to the community is greatly needed even more now that Catz has gone. be assured of our genuine thanks and support.

Richard

davidl2
  • 2004/7/5 7:54

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Hear hear.

Good work to the WF Team!

I'll be having a good test of this later :)

Herko
  • 2004/7/5 8:59

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Yes, WF-Team, thanks for the good work. It seems that you have fixed some very nasty bugs in Catz's module Thanks so much!

Herko

MadFish
  • 2004/7/5 9:20

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

I've got myDownloads installed, and I just installed the WF-Downloads module to have a play with it and this is what happened when I ran the wfdupdate.php script:

* The contents of myDownloads disappeared entirely. Its empty.
* The category structure from myDownloads jumped across to WF-Downloads. However the content did not (descriptions etc).

I'm sort of suprised about this - I thought that the update script would not update myDownloads, ie. that it wasn't related and wouldn't touch it. However, looking at the install screen it seems that the script renamed some of the myDownloads tables:

Quote:
Success: Table mydownloads_broken was renamed to wfdownloads_broken Successfully
Success: Table mydownloads_cat was renamed to wfdownloads_cat Successfully
Success: Table mydownloads_downloads was renamed to wfdownloads_downloads Successfully
Success: Table mydownloads_mod was renamed to wfdownloads_mod Successfully
Success: Table mydownloads_votedata was renamed to wfdownloads_votedata Successfully

myDownloads is now non-functional - it can't query the database because the tables are gone. I was pretty suprised by this...are you sure that my Downloads and WF-Downloads can coexist peacefully ? Or have I made a mistake somewhere ?

It also tried (and failed) to rename a couple of other myDownloads tables - is this unexpected / something to worry about ? And if so, how can I fix it

Quote:
Error: Could not rename table mydownloads_indexpage to table wfdownloads_indexpage!
Error: Could not rename table mydownloads_reviews to table wfdownloads_reviews!

I followed the install process in the install.txt file so I'm not sure where I could have gone wrong. Since I didn't have an older version of WF-Downloads installed, I am wondering if I should have run the 'update' script or not.

Anyway, it all happened on my testing range and I made a backup beforehand so its no big deal. I took a screenshot of the install screen (where it lists all the tables etc) if anyone wants it / if it will help diagnose the problem.

Many thanks

PS: Having poked around for a bit, this module looks VERY cool

tom
  • 2004/7/5 11:02

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

@ wfsection.

Thanks and apology excepted.

I'm with you in terms of polotics, this can ruin community spirit.

Before my disapearance on-line, I often spoke with Catz and offered my support, his work was and is outstanding, in fact you may of seen (Which is now removed) I had admin rights within the WF site it's self, to offer my support.

Any way, I hope to see much more from you guys, this is an outstanding module, well done and please keep up the good work.

davidl2
  • 2004/7/7 0:40

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Whoops!

As per WFsections's first post in this thread...

"Please Note that the update script cannot be used with the XOOPS Download Module and will NOT update My_downloads"

Unfortunately the update module is only for the earlier version of WF-Downloads... not for MyDownloads - which it has now been recoded to live alongside.

It's a fortunate thing it was a test site at least.

I always tend to do this myself with code, (use a test site) as I always manage to make an error setting up

Login

Who's Online

233 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 233

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits