digital01
Our rights: Banning the PC? Must Read.
  • 2004/6/10 0:26

• digital01

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/6/3 1

A WIPO congregation comprised of delegates from all UN nations has recently proposed a treaty that deals with “signal theft”. Certain nations, namely the US, have pushed to make it international law to outlaw the decryption of anything, but however that only effects the little people such as us. Certain corporations and governments are still allowed to decrypt materials as they please. Now I suppose all of this only very slightly encroaches on our rights, but however there is more.
Quote:
From Article 16, Alternative V:
2. In particular, effective legal remedies shall be provided against those who:
(iii) Participate in the manufacture, importation, sale, or any other act that makes available a device or system capable of decrypting or helping to decrypt an encrypted program-carrying signal.

Now, read that again, but very carefully. Yes that’s right, it really is that vague. With that type of language they are basically saying anyone who uses a computer is capable of decrypting, and should be punished for having that possibility. It also completely shuts down the entire computer market, and leaves it open only to certain companies (Microsoft) to produce these “computers” that are incapable of doing much of anything. Can you say Big Brother?

Furthermore this treaty also bans the pencil and paper, I mean it’s a device you can use to decrypt something with. And how can you forget calculators too? They solve cryptic problems; therefore they too are banned by this treaty. Why stop there, I mean our brains are devices that can decrypt, why not ban us too?

Currently many nations are opposing this as they see what is really going to happen. However, this great (USA) country is pushing for it. The government doesn’t care about the common man, it only wants to help the rich guys so it too can retain its power. Support the underdogs, and if your feeling really ambitious go to the WIPO website and send them something to think about.

When is all said and done: If computers are to be outlawed, then I too shall be outlawed.

digital01
Banning XOOPS
  • 2004/6/10 13:36

• digital01

• Just popping in

Also kids, if you didn't really take that seriously, its true. Also it also implies that XOOPS is illegal...maybe somebody should start taking note of whats going on in this world?

limecity
Re: Banning XOOPS
  • 2004/6/10 14:49

• limecity

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/7/6 0

didn't quite understand what was being discuss here..
but it doesn't sound nice..

could you make a summary of it?

whos the bad boy and whats the badboy trying to do?

m0nty
Re: Banning XOOPS
  • 2004/6/10 17:03

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

as i read it..

summary:

If a company or person, creates a piece of software able to decrypt an encrypted message whether it's email or just text then that company/person will be liable to prosecution under the invasion of privacy laws.

this i would presume extends to devices that can decrypt radio and telephony systems such as what the police, army and government agencies use in secure communications.

of course this wouldn't extend to the governemnt and police decrypting our own personal communications that we want to keep private.. lol

in essence, if you or your friends create an encryption program to keep your messages secure so that other people can't read them, and i then come along and write a piece of software that will decrypt your messages so that i can read them without your permission, then i could be prosecuted..

domineaux
Re: Our rights: Banning the PC? Must Read.
  • 2004/6/10 17:14

• domineaux

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2002/9/29

I edited this one and it re-posted

domineaux
  • 2004/6/10 17:14

• domineaux

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2002/9/29

You did say United Nations.

Don't worry about it.

France, Germany and Russia will never agree.

-----------------

m0nty
  • 2004/6/10 20:13

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

hahahaha

i sometimes think the french can be very awkward and sometimes ignorant and don't particularly like them that much..

no offence intended, i do have a lot of friends who are french..

but yeah i love the way they veto US policies etc.. and i agree with them in a lot of cases for vetoing.. lol

i think Dom is right, it will never get passed at the UN..

brash
  • 2004/6/10 22:11

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Man, that is just poo! I can't believe something like this would actually get as far as being put forward to an international audience. Lack of public awareness lets governments do a lot of dodgy things. Gotta love the French though, they are always sticking it to the man, god bless 'em. Not like the Aussie government, saying they fold like a deck of cards would be too good for them. Our Pime Minister is Bushes little b1atch, and does whatever he says. You should see it, it is the most gutless, spineless approach to politics I've ever seen. It's really quite disgusting!

digital01
  • 2004/6/10 23:28

• digital01

• Just popping in

But your all missing the point, Sorry I wasn't so clear but however....they way they phrased this treaty it doesnt only ban software, but hardware too. They said any device capable of decyrpting a signal. The amount of items under that catagory is so broad that it even includes humans. Its just funny that polictians can even think of banning computers, but really alarming ath the same time.

m0nty
  • 2004/6/11 1:34

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

i did get your point.. lol

but really.. a computer is just a bunch of microchips.. it is totally useless UNLESS you program it to do that function, so in all essence the hardware/system in that case would be the software only..

of course special decryptors are used and built (a little black box) that are just used solely for that purpose, some are computerised and in that case the hardware/computer is built specifically for 1 purpose and that I think is what they are on about..

i can see where your going tho, and i agree, this whole war on terrorism as they call it, will eventually lead to a loss of freedom and liberty's, smart radio chips etc.. i think the usa will probably push for these to be used in all ID cards and in that situation will open a whole debate on personal freedom, as these will allow people to be tracked wherever they are.. of course they can already do that if u own a cell phone.. lol

Login

Who's Online

229 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 229

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits