intel352
Re: Xaraya = Xoops history is over ?
  • 2004/5/27 2:20

• intel352

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/11/23

that xaraya download (0.9.9 full) was huge, right around 8-9mb... lol, glad i'm testing on my local server and not my web server, i'd hate to upload

anyways, imma test to give it a good evaluation
btw, john, on your front page there's an error saying that an article could not be retrieved, just thought you should know.

[edit]
n/m, the article is working now..

btw, i installed xaraya on my pc running apache2, php4, MySQL 3.23, got an error right after installation. tried to report a bug, but your bug site is down. i don't use IRC, and you don't have forums, so i'll just post here

PHPError Notice 
At
C:Program FilesApache GroupApache2htdocsxarayamodulesmimexarinit.php (Line95)

Undefined variablemime_list

Explanation

There is an error in the PHP code that is being processed.

sucks that it broke, but anyways, the install looked nice. only request is that you setup index.php to determine when the CMS isn't installed and automatically kick over to the installer (like in XOOPS )
[/edit]

another edit:

further information. i had done a Public Site install, left default view permission, selected *all* modules for installation, and the next screen was the error, not the 'launch site' screen. i was able to reinstall and get to the launch site screen by leaving the default modules that were selected for a Public Site, so i'm guessing you have a broken module install somewhere?

limecity
  • 2004/5/27 2:37

• limecity

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/7/6 0

Xaraya got smilies that look exactly like Xoops.org

It has...these modules...that XOOPS don't

Base
Dynamicdata
Figlet
Helpdesk
Issueareapub
Newsgroups
Recommend
Roles

intel352
  • 2004/5/27 3:01

• intel352

• Module Developer

xaraya full has a TON of stuff in it... i don't like the navigation all to well, and i would prefer if the module overview were available from the 'Info' link (in the Modules admin) so that i could find out more details of what the module does, instead of having to install it to find out

i DO like how it hooks everything together, that's sweet, but definitely a learning curve involved. it's going to be hard for them to pull in alot of people, but maybe that'll keep a certain level of non-noobness outta their message boards, lol (if they get any, i didn't see any)

btw, tried to log out of admin, got this error, lol
Fatal errorCall to a member function on a non-object in C:Program FilesApache GroupApache2htdocsxarayamodulesauthssoxaruserapiauthenticate_user.php on line 33

anyways, it's fun to play with, i definitely want to see what it looks like as a fully working, mostly bug-free product. i can tell alot of time and care went into it, and there's definitely a few features (HOOKS) that i'd like to see implemented into xoops

aaaaanyways, that's all from me for now
until i think of something else to say

limecity
  • 2004/5/27 3:04

• limecity

• Friend of XOOPS

Who existed first?
xaraya or xoops?

I haven really explore xaraya theme yet..
from the looks of the site's current theme..

Its better off with XOOPS theme..~

btw.. ezpublish looks very professional cms..
all clean and nice interface...

intel352
  • 2004/5/27 3:23

• intel352

• Module Developer

dunno, in xaraya's docs, mentions over a year dedicated to documentation alone, so the cms was probably in the works just as long, if not more

i'm still playing with it, nice features, esp uploads (tied it with articles, added a Download, but the download link doesn't work, weird)

i think it needs a bit more work, shouldn't be at 0.9.9, but definitely a good direction

navigation is still a chore

i like how it allows multiple CSS styles in it's default theme, heh..

never tried ezpublish, but seemed too article-oriented, just from the name alone, heh..

Stewdio
  • 2004/5/27 3:57

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

Thats a funny error you spotted ther bd_csmc! lolz

I was looking at Xar long before I moved to xoops. I was running PN at the time and was looking for an alternative solution. Naturally I ended up here, but Xar was still in .7 stages at the time.

They realy have come a long way since then. They have been around in the development stages for a very long time, I would bet almost 2 1/2 - 3 years, possibly longer, but don't quote me on that. They are going out of their way to develop a rock solid product. Something tells me it going to be seriously aimed at professionals.

*edit*
Oh, and would the original poster please remove the bit about XOOPS being over! lol (kidding)

That will never happen

intel352
  • 2004/5/27 3:59

• intel352

• Module Developer

yeah, learning curve seems higher than most, but i'll bet if the right people get their hands on this cms (i.e.- someone really anal and willing to fight the learning curve), they'll produce one of the slickest sites around with it

limecity
  • 2004/5/27 4:03

• limecity

• Friend of XOOPS

Ezpublish is GOOD enough for Lite websites...
its really neat and clean... should check it out..

i'll need to explore how the theme works...

btw.. can someone.. hijack the HELPdesk from xaraya...
hehehehehe

winabe
  • 2004/5/27 7:30

• winabe

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/5/12

Quote:

Mithrandir wrote:
In May, I will be writing a University project regarding XOOPS and the Open Source CMS's, in which I will compare XOOPS to other CMS's.

I have so far decided to compare with the following CMS's:
Xaraya
Drupal
phpWebSite
Typo3
Mambo

Any more, you guys would recommend?

I will of course publish the report for you to read.

Would like to take a look on your comparation

Mithrandir

Well, the list ended up as Xaraya, Drupal, Mambo and then of course XOOPS.

Luckily my project size was doubled (because I asked for it) so my deadline is not until August - but the comparison is almost finished and I will publish it soon.

My general conclusion on Xaraya is that it is a good system, the hook system is good, but there is too much configuring needing to be done before it shows a website as you want it.

And I personally have a little grudge against central index.php files doing all the work and rigid function naming structure - it makes the code hard to read.

More to come...

Login

Who's Online

218 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 218

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits