a1nerd
Installing themes
  • 2004/5/12 9:42

• a1nerd

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/12

I am new to XOOPS and i would like to install a theme. I have no clue how to configure anything using php or programming. Is there an easy way for a beginner like me to do this. I want to be able to install themes and templates. I have no idea what the difference is. It looks like a tehem is like a template in appearance.

Herko
Re: Installing themes
  • 2004/5/12 10:23

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Hi and welcome to the XOOPS community!

For a very good introduction in themes and templates, I recommend you read thru the Themes vs Templates pages in the XOOPS Wiki.

Basically, a theme controls the general page layout. They're static files that you upload into the /themes/ folder on your server. Check out the themes in that folder and see what files they are. You'll notice they all have a theme.html and style.css file, some have additional files.
A theme controls the static part of a website: the things that don't change when you're viewing a new page.

Templates on the other hand, are loaded into the database when installing the modules (and the system), and can be edited by going to the system admin -> templates manager. They control the look and feel of the dynamic elements (blocks, module content pages etc.). Templates are organised in Template sets, and there aren't that many template sets around.

Most of the time, people create a new theme and use the default styles in the style.css file to give the default templates the look and feel they want. Thus, you only have to edit the theme.

I hope this makes it a little clearer!

Herko

a1nerd
  • 2004/5/12 14:47

• a1nerd

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/12

where is the XOOPS wiki? I uploaded a theme how do i make it work? I was also wondering how i add comments to the middle of the page. I have tried everything and i cant seem to find out how to do it.

fredski
  • 2004/5/12 14:56

• fredski

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/1/26

To change a site theme, log in as admin, then goto the admin menu, click on system admin, and select preferences, if you then click on edit general settings you will see a list of things you can change, look for default theme, the drop down box will show a list of themes you can select, if you uploaded a theme to your theme directory then it will be in the list. select the one you want and click the 'go' button at the bottom of the page. when you go back to view your page it will now be your new theme.

The selectable theme box will only apear on your site if you have chosen to show the theme block, in the block admin. This will allow your users to select which theme they want to view your site in.
Hope that helps.

JohnCVermont

Hello --

For a newbie-beginner-wannabee XOOPS admin like myself, could you provide a pointer to a collection of themes which can be downloaded by the general public?

(Thank you for the informative & pleasant posting regarding the difference between themes & templates.)

Cheers,

JohnCVermont

Hello All -

Allow me to answer my own question, user headspace problem (i.e. gapped a little too wide between the ears)

https://xoops.org/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=25

fredski
  • 2004/5/13 8:51

• fredski

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/1/26

Try these places too, for a range of themes, The ucberkely liquid theme HERE with tabs is a nice theme to get, also the 7dana - clean is a good simple clean theme HERE to go for.

xoops-themes.org

incama.nl

7dana.com

Hope that helps ;¬)

Jools_chem
  • 2004/5/13 13:45

• Jools_chem

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/10

There are some fantastic themes available, try the art theme from the XOOPS official site - very nice. Its also quite easy to edit - to give you new letters etc.

Some themes can make XOOPS run a little slow though in my humble experience.

Part of the fun in setting up an XOOPS site is playing with the fantastic range of themes available. I just can't help changing when I find a new theme.

Be careful though as some of them don't work with the Mozilla family of browsers - especially when writers use DHTML. But hey thats part of the fun!

Enjoy

Login

Who's Online

159 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 159

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits