Talis
IS There A phpBB2 Module For Xoops?
  • 2004/3/26 12:05

• Talis

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/24

I saw the newbb plus on modcentral but I believe that's for a different fork of xoops?

Was hoping maybe someone did an actual port of phpBB2 because I really need all the features that it has over newbb.

Thanks! :)

destrux
Re: IS There A phpBB2 Module For Xoops?
  • 2004/3/26 12:11

• destrux

• Since: 2002/6/3 1

I think this is what you're looking for ;).

carnuke
  • 2004/3/26 13:55

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

The above link is for Koundashi's IPb conversion Another good option IMHO. Here is PHPbb module The one you asked about. Check out versions though. Caution. I believe both conversions require changes to core files. This is something to consider when XOOPS upgrades!

Richard

Stewdio
  • 2004/3/26 14:27

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

(Carnuke: Koudanshi also made a PHPBB2 module)

I stay away from core modification at all costs. Every upgrade to XOOPS there after will be affected and you may have to reapply your core changes each time. They may or may not always work, depending on the development cycle of the module developer. In short, I don't advise using modules of this nature. Although many people have had (limited) success and feel comfortable with applying core changes.

Before you upload the files to your server, compare the files (outside) of the module folders and make copies of them FIRST.

If your conversion works, great, if you have user problems, you can always replace your files with little effort.

I have in the past used mods that modify the core files. Sometimes this breaks your system. Proper preparation is in order before using these types of modules.

destrux
  • 2004/3/26 19:37

• destrux

yeah, carnuke, the phpbb module is also located on that same page in the link that I gave. Koudanshi made both of them.

As for if using this module would be safe considering it's modification to core files. Koudanshi has been doing these modules for a while now and he has kept them up to date as soon as a new XOOPS is released that effects the module itself. Although of course as pointed out the chance always exists where he could be late with updating but overall it's unlikely. I've been using his IPB module since he came out with it and he's never been behind in updating it to work with a new XOOPS release. Definitely something to think about though.

Talis
  • 2004/3/26 20:48

• Talis

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/24

This module is EXACTLEY what I wanted. :)

I didn't have to make any modifications to the core XOOPS files though and everything seems to be working. :)

destrux
  • 2004/3/26 21:13

• destrux

sweet, glad you got what you needed

Login

Who's Online

159 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 159

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits