arvindg1
can i re-create webmaster use with uid=1?
  • 2004/3/11 15:36

• arvindg1

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/21

i deleted the original webmaster user, and now want to create a user with uid=1. is this possible? please let me know how! thanks for the help.

Brad
Re: can i re-create webmaster use with uid=1?
  • 2004/3/11 17:48

• Brad

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/12/4

If you are familiar with phpMyAdmin, you can edit the "groups" table and set your "webmaster" group primary key to 1.

Stewdio
  • 2004/3/11 18:00

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

If you have any more to add to this, I'm sure the rest of the community could use it, as there have been many a webmaster that have deleted the default account.

In hindsight, this account should not be deleteable from the user admin for obvious security reasons, but more commonly for the stability of the site and module calls that rely on uid=1.

I would also like to point this out to the documentation team to take note and place a snippet in the install notes for users asking them not to delete the account to save from unforeen permission problems with other modules and core functions that rely on it.

arvindg1
  • 2004/3/11 19:16

• arvindg1

• Just popping in

well i don't want to change the webmaster group id to 1, i actually want to create a new user, say "bob" and set that user's UID=1. i think i can get phpmyadmin, but where is that information stored? can someone expand on on how to edit this users uid? will this cause other problems for the user?

irmtfan
  • 2004/3/11 19:36

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

first create a user in XOOPS system admin --> edit user
then go to database & xoops_user table & browse it select user that u create before then edit & change uid to 1

u can recover a deleted user (any user that u know his/her uid) with this way then u can put him/her in webmaster group

Brad
  • 2004/3/15 13:53

• Brad

• Not too shy to talk

When I responded earlier, I had assumed that you wanted to restore the webmaster group. I failed to see (though you spelled it right out) that you were talking about users rather than groups.

Having said that...

Why do you want to set a user's primary key (uid) to 1? I can see an issue with a group not having a primary key of 1, but I fail to see any issues with a user not having the primary key of 1.

Brad

arvindg1
  • 2004/3/15 13:57

• arvindg1

• Just popping in

for whatever reason, xfsection would not let any other user make administrative changes. even other users who were in the webmaster group could not make changes. only once i edit the DB to have a new user with uid=1 did xfsection allow me to change the configs. go figure.

Brad
  • 2004/3/15 16:33

• Brad

• Not too shy to talk

All I can say is, wow.

That is a really bad programming practice to make assumptions about a particular key existing in a table that the module developer has no control over.

I'm further mystified as to why the module only allows the one person to make administrative changes rather than the entire adminstrative group or barring that, having a config option that indicates who is able to administrate.

Again, wow.

Glad you got it working though.

Brad

Shine
  • 2004/12/16 14:50

• Shine

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2002/7/22

A small question regarding this topic:
When I take a look at my xoops_users table I see for the default main admin the following:
Uid (1)
Rank (7)
Level (5)

Now regarding this level I see differences between my other webmaster who are having full acces and admin rights.
Their level shows (1) instead of (5).
So if I need to create a new main administrator (because somebody deleted him/her) should I also change its level into (5) ?

Grtz., Shine

Shine
  • 2004/12/18 13:42

• Shine

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2002/7/22

a carefully bump.

Login

Who's Online

163 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 163

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits