matangi
Help function with user levels
  • 2004/3/8 4:17

• matangi

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/4/13

My users are less used to websites with functions. A lot of them have problems to use XOOPS because of the bunch of functions it offers ( like to register ). The result is that the send me emails with there questions, ...

What I appreciate is a function ( a link ) that calls a help file from the database for every module. That means it has to be included in the module-file structure.

Every module you install you have to find the faq, read-me or whatever. There is a description for the admin but not for the user.

I like to have a button like a questionmark that call the help file from the database. The call is depending on your user-level from anonymous to admin.

It makes it easier to spread the helpfiles around in the community and for the users of the system is less questions.

Hope you think about it, because XOOPS should have a easy usability even for the non computer-skilled people.

Thanks Matangi

Stewdio
Re: Help function with user levels
  • 2004/3/8 5:27

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

Thats not a bad idea actually. To take it a step further, if one has the faq module installed, a new module installation could inject new common FAQ's into's the main FAQ tables for inclusion to the main output.

Just brainstorming, so don't mind me. The only other option I have right now is to create new FAQ's for each subsequent module installed that requires more user interaction. It makes good practice for me, because if the module developers don't inform the users, and I don't inform the users, then I have a whole mess on my hands.

I don't know whas worse, planning ahead for new features on my site, or developing and implementing them. Either way, it's a tedious task that has to be done one way or the other.

Vargr
  • 2004/3/8 6:16

• Vargr

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/6/19

The module you request is in the works.

It is number two on the to-do list (after the modified language module) and we hope to get started pretty soon for earnest (at the moment we are just checking out ideas and possible technical solutions and found that it is possible to do in a neat and XOOPS complient way).

So please stay tuned as news about this might soon appear on this site.

Don't expect it to be tomorrow, though.

matangi
  • 2004/3/8 10:35

• matangi

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/4/13

Quote:

Vargr wrote:
The module you request is in the works.

It is number two on the to-do list (after the modified language module) and we hope to get started pretty soon for earnest (at the moment we are just checking out ideas and possible technical solutions and found that it is possible to do in a neat and XOOPS complient way).

So please stay tuned as news about this might soon appear on this site.

Don't expect it to be tomorrow, though.

In my opinion this will help to give a more professional impression to the users, they never ask for technic only that its easy to use and fullfilling their ideas.

Thanks for the answer and good luck with coding

Matangi

Login

Who's Online

163 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 163

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits