Vargr
HTML without CSS interfering
  • 2004/3/1 13:45

• Vargr

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/6/19

I need to use some complex HTML in a news article and elsewhere too (WFsections, forum, etc).

This time it is an excel spreadsheet converted to HTML.

My main problem is that the CSS of the theme is interfering wit the HTML table buildup etc. so I need a way to tell XOOPS or what-ever that I want to turn CSS off and on.

Something like:

This is my article about this-and-that. Please see the balance below:

[CSS OFF]
complex-html-code.
[CSS ON]

Normal article text with CSS.

Is this possible and how?

hsalazar
Re: HTML without CSS interfering
  • 2004/3/1 15:02

• hsalazar

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/2/6 1

Vargr:

Perhaps you might try putting your external file in a clean HTML page and then calling that page in an iframe.

Cheers.

Vargr
  • 2004/3/1 15:04

• Vargr

• Not too shy to talk

Hmm, that might be the answer. Have to look up how iframes work, though.

Thanks for the idea.

Mithrandir

perhaps a bit more work - but isn't it possible to put the included excel spreadsheet in e.g. a div tag with a class, which overwrites the theme CSS?

I know that would mean that you should define all background colors, text colors etc. etc. etc.

Vargr
  • 2004/3/1 16:50

• Vargr

• Not too shy to talk

Yes, I thought of that too, but the Excel HTML is full of inbedded CSS codes, that defines every little tidbit.

So that should be taken care of, I would think, but alas, apparently not. Always thought imbedded CSS would overwrite global CSS.

However, the iframe solution worked with a minimum of hassle, so I think I will stay with that solution for now. Especially as we might be adding a lot more of that kind of "stand alone" HTML code.

Actually I found out, that WFsections couldn't handle the insane amount of characters generated by Excel -> HTML converter. It cut off the text at one point. I will have to look into it a bit more, before I can say anything conclusive. Might be a problem with Windows clipboard, but I doubt it.

regen_r8
  • 2004/3/1 18:59

• regen_r8

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/5/23

Vargr,

If I understand, your problem is more with the way that MSExcel drops html with evil embedded style information, than the way that XOOPS handles it. I used to have the same evil problem with MSWord. I solved most of my problem by using OpenOffice.org (staroffice) which appears to drop much cleaner html than any of the MS products. Anytime I need to convert a MS word or powerpoint document to html, I just bring it up in OO.O and save as html. I don't know how that would work with a spreadsheet, but if the other 2 are indicative, it saved me a bunch of effort.

Hope this helps in the short term...

Vargr
  • 2004/3/2 8:28

• Vargr

• Not too shy to talk

Very interesting approach. I will try it out when I get home. There is no Open Office on this machine, so I have to get to my own.

The problem might be the extensive use of Visual Basic in the Excel spreadsheet, but I will have a look at it.

Thank you.

And yes; M$ applications are generally evil...

Login

Who's Online

257 user(s) are online (161 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 257

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits