marcan
FAQ for simple user
  • 2004/2/21 19:33

• marcan

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/10/8

Does anyone know if something like this already exists somewhere on a XOOPS site :

An FAQ for basic user. Something that would teach some basic function of a XOOPS site to someone who's not really good with the internet. For example, a web surfer that come accross on of our site could wonder

- how to post something in the forum
- what is the difference between a comment and a post in the forum
- How to sumbit a download?

I know that some FAQ are available in the wiki of this site and also (just to name 1) on DigiComplex but those FAQ are meant for XOOPS Site Admin, not basic user.

Anybody have an idea?

carnuke
Re: FAQ for simple user
  • 2004/2/21 19:54

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

Good question marcan

perhaps we all take too much for granted about how much the average user knows, before they become "X O O P S E D"

I have had an enquiry to build a XOOPS website for a friend who knows very little about hml so I sent them here to take a look around first. Well, they were totally lost with jargon. So I wrote a little introduction to what XOOPS is all about, just for their benefit. I think you raise a valid point though... good call!

Richard

marcan
  • 2004/2/21 21:47

• marcan

• Just can't stay away

I'll bring this to the XOOPS Documentation Team.

marcan
  • 2004/2/22 18:35

• marcan

• Just can't stay away

Just out of curiosity, is this some kind of need for some of you out there?

Vargr
  • 2004/2/22 18:55

• Vargr

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/6/19

Yes, it is a (huge) problem that users might not be very net-savvy not to mention XOOPS-savvy.

A friend and I are planning to find a solution for this. But don't hold your beath - we have only gotten to the principal discussion of how best to solve the problem.

Naught might in fact come of it.

Maracas
  • 2004/2/22 18:56

• Maracas

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/18

I think there is a need for it. I'm new to Xoops, but not to web sites or HTML, forums, photo galleries, and all that nifty web stuff. So it was all fairly simple once I got adjusted to Xoopsing. And now that I am bitten by the XOOPS bug, I am totally hooked.

I am building a family site, where the users (mostly my extended family, most of whom are scattered everywhere and barely PC literate) will not know how to post in a forum, post a link in Web Links, upload a photo for xcGallery, send an e-card from xcGallery, or any of the other stuff that seems relatively simple for people who have been around the web, or PC's, for a while.

I think a good FAQ for using the core modules would be wonderful, and add-on FAQ's for popular modules would be good, too. As it is now, I am faced with writing the FAQ's myself, so as not to have answer the questions all the time.

In short, I think there really is a need for this.

marcan
  • 2004/2/23 14:22

• marcan

• Just can't stay away

Thanks for your answer. Well I'm proud to announce that the XOOPS Documentation Team is working on that !

Login

Who's Online

194 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 194

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits