Mithrandir
Re: Why are some people NOT using XOOPS?

"Template" in Mambo = "Theme" in XOOPS, isn't it?

kaliman
  • 2004/1/29 18:54

• kaliman

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/12/17

Yes!
That's it, you can build a "theme" (template in mambo) with dreamweaver in a wysiwyg mode. Very easy. you can see the original post
here

fatman
  • 2004/1/29 19:40

• fatman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/12/13

Quote:

I am lurking for about a month, and I cannot commit myself to XOOPS for one single reason.

Search engine friendly URL.

Search engine frieldly URL's are possible with xoops, just not standard. Do a search in the forums for MOD_REWRITE, this is an apache method for rewritting urls which several XOOPS users have used successfully.

You can see a demo of my own site using XOOPS and clean url's here noah.kerkness.ca log in with demo : demo

deepsoul
  • 2004/1/29 22:38

• deepsoul

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/3/6 1

Hi, I'm a low tech user, and may I take this opportunity to thank the developers of xoops. I have tried a few systems, and XOOPS is really impressive, especially the installation process. But I notice a problem with the default theme on my work pc (win95) and at home on Windows 98. Maybe that turns off some prospective users.
I have a little screenshot but haven't worked out how to add ot to this post :(

hervet
  • 2004/2/1 12:38

• hervet

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/11/4

Hi,

About Typo 3, here in France, some compagnies have specialized themselfes on this product and they are selling in hands solutions for the administrations.

Mithrandir

Would love to hear some more of, what makes those other CMS's good. Especially from a developer point of view.

hervet
  • 2004/2/1 13:09

• hervet

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/11/4

Hi,

Quote:

Mithrandir wrote:
Would love to hear some more of, what makes those other CMS's good. Especially from a developer point of view.

Personally, last year, when my boss asked me to find a quick solution to create some intranets, and after some researches, I had 2 solutions :
Xoops
Typo 3

Why XOOPS won ? :
Very good community and very good "program"
VERY good program too, but to use Typo 3, you have to learn an other language (developped for Typo 3), and I did not have the time.

Bye,
Hervé

joelg
  • 2004/2/12 14:47

• joelg

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/10/14

Well this is a very interesting discussion and so I will add my pennyworth.
I have been hacking around for quite a while new to find a suitable CMS for several sites I want to set up (which is taking a VERY long time, for reasons nothing to do with the technical).
I'm looking for something that is easy to learn, requires NO programming, and (of course) has the features I want. Here are some comments from the first site I'm developing:
Typo3 - great system, undoubtedly far more flexible than any of the others, as someone said a "professional" package. BUT way too complicated.
Envolution - liked the language support (allows you to attach a language flag to every piece of content or structure): hated the admin interface, especially the security feature; also hated the really arrogant techno-nerd type community response I got to my newbie questions (and in general - I keep seeing posts where they slag off other developers )
Xoops - didn't like some things (no proper language support for one), but loved the simplicity and the nice clean look, easy admin interface on balance, good selection of extra modules... and I was already to go BUT fell down on the user permissions in articles and wf-sections (I've already posted on this subject).
Tikiwiki: I finally chose Tikiwiki, which has very extensive permissions and is quite easy to use and understand, reasonably clean interface, did what I wanted for the first effort.

Now I'm back again for another site, and what is critical here is the search engine support (both inside and outside the site). I've posted on this subject too and would be very glad of an answer. But I'm surprised that in the list of CMS that people have looked at there is not Drupal which seems to have nice clean interface, fast loading, and very good taxonomy management for sites with complex, deep content. Also absolutely clean URLs. And by the way, there is no conflict between taxonomy and search - indeed the one should be a support for the other...

Any comments on this and my other posts would be most welcome.

JoelG

supernix
  • 2004/2/12 15:00

• supernix

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/3/13

Me personally I attribute my high search engine rankings to XOOPS.

I have managed to secure top spots on several search engines and I thing it must be something to do with XOOPS and how it handles keywords. Google never has a problem traversing my site nor does Inkitomi or Slurp.

pkidion
From personal experience
  • 2004/2/12 16:35

• pkidion

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/12

I tried to use PHP Website, and although it works great on my test box, the server didn't support PHP 4.2+ at the time.

Then I tried Envolution. Very easy to install. At the time, no themes, but I could never get a sense for how to make my home page look like I wanted it too. That was probably my ignorance, but it frustrated me a great deal.

I thought about postNuke, but didn't think it would be much better than Envolution. That is probably not a fair assessment.

I looked at Typo3 and said "Which way is up on this thing?"

I longed for the simplicity of Wordpress in a CMS form, you know? (I use WordPress on my personal site.)

Then I used PHP-Nuke for three months. It has been around forever and there are lots of folks just ready to help you.

UGH. It looked nice, but I had to login twice to enter information on my own, once as an admin, once as a user. Not only that, it has so many images that I was using almost all my alloted space and there was no information. On top of that, I could also never create another admin account. I think I could have cleared up some of these things, but little things like this kept happening.

The only real issue was NO USEFUL WORKING CALENDAR. All the times were wrong and there was a good calendar that had a server time zone offset.

I do have to say that it was straightforward to install and there are lots of modules. It is fun to play with and was pretty impressive.

So, I switched to XOOPS after realizing that I still couldn't use Envolution, PostNuke or any other PHP Nuke fork. PHP Website didn't have some of the features of XOOPS and although I could naviagte a bit in Typo3 and ezpublish, I decided that this looked the best.

I haven't regretted it. Security is easier to setup, it is straightforward to administer. THE CALENDAR WORKS RIGHT. In fact, I have two calendars, a tiny one to track the use of the church office and the other for events and happenings. 7dana.com has a great red theme that looks good.

I still have to come up with a good logo and I haven't entered categories for News and set up a couple of modules, but it is working pretty well. Thanks for a system I enjoy using.

Login

Who's Online

288 user(s) are online (166 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 288

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits