domineaux
Site Map and Search Engine friendly page URLs
  • 2004/1/21 18:28

• domineaux

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2002/9/29

Is there a XOOPS SiteMap Module?

Has anyone created a search engine friendly rework of page URLs for easier flow for searh engine bots?

----------------------

carnuke
Re: Site Map and Search Engine friendly page URLs
  • 2004/1/21 19:21

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

Hi domineaux,

I'm always looking at posts like this to see if anyone has created what you are asking for!

So far I am not aware of this facility. There is a further challenge to your idea; Creating a site map maybe relatively easy, but creating search engine friendly URLs still requires using the Apache rewrite module see this link HERE
If a site map had friendly URLs it would mean removing query strings and then being able to apply them again in order to extract data from the database. This is usually done server-side using the rewrite module. Can it be done as part of the XOOPS system? That's the big question and I don't know enough about unix to comment. The good news is that Google is ok with query strings and therefore will find your pages easily, providing they are not behind javascript menus.

Richard

Draven
  • 2004/1/21 19:33

• Draven

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/5/28

SE friendly URL's are a huge task, it requires not only changes to the core, but also changes to every single module wishing to use them. On top of that, custom SMARTY functions must also be made. It's coming, but is going to take some time before it is fully implemented.

I've created this for a strip down version of XOOPS I'm going to be using for my new hosting company, but all my modules are built from scratch and made to use them. This is not as easy to do with existing modules and XOOPS versions.

Hang tight, it will come, just don't expect it any time too soon.

domineaux
  • 2004/1/21 19:34

• domineaux

• Quite a regular

Here is something available for IBP forums, which is PHP.

CLICK to MOD for Invision Boards - Search Engine friendly URLs

This would probably just be a Hack for Xoops, but it shouldn't be as tough as a Forum. The page urls would just be altered one time, since they're mostly built one time only.

-------------------

domineaux
  • 2004/1/21 19:36

• domineaux

• Quite a regular

Here is something available for IBP forums, which is PHP.

CLICK to MOD for Invision Boards - Search Engine friendly URLs

This would probably just be a Hack for Xoops, but it shouldn't be as tough as a Forum. The page urls would just be altered one time, since they're mostly built one time only.

-------------------

Draven
  • 2004/1/21 19:39

• Draven

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/5/28

This will not work for xoops. The URL's in IPB are generated using a function, which is altered to "re_write" the urls, XOOPS URL's are not done this way. Infact, ever module handles URL's differently.

NOTE: Also the URL's this generates are NOT SE friendly, SE's still trip up on '.' in the middle of a URL.
Quote:

http://gawaher.com/i2/show.php/act/ST/f/50/t/245

The funny thing is the author of this hack hasn't a clue, he says that goolge doesn't index query strings when in fact, google is one of the only SE's that DOES index query strings.

carnuke
  • 2004/1/21 20:37

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

Well domineaux, close ... but no cigar!

Draven is right, these URLs are no good. I have followed a few threads about this subject and I often see XOOPS users report high ranking in the google index. There are other S/Es that also pass query strings, hotbot is one of them. The good news is that many small search engines run off the back of google's cache and api system, so you will often find XOOPS sites indexed across several search engines. Fortunately google also dose not pay any attention to meta-tags. (another weak point with CMS) It prefers instead to look at page content against title relevance. Another important issue is link popularity.

There is a lot you can do to improve your sites visibility and ranking without getting over anxious about friendly URLs. Keep posting if you have other ideas though!!

Richard

Login

Who's Online

107 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 107

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits