jeanito
Why choose Xoops vs PHP Nuke?
  • 2004/1/14 14:48

• jeanito

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/1/14

I don't want to attack anyone, I find Xoop quite nice, buy why to choose Xoop vs PhpNuke? I find that you can get like 200 kinds of adons for phpnuke and if you want a little bit more friendly templates, you can also get postnuke...
so why should I move my site to xoops?

Thanks for your help guys....

jeanito
Re: Why choose Xoops vs PHP Nuke?
  • 2004/1/14 14:56

• jeanito

• Just popping in

Does any one has any experience with Mambo Portal System?
http://www.mamboserver.com/

Herko
  • 2004/1/14 15:02

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Check out www.opensourcecms.com if you want to see what is available. We'll tell you about XOOPS right here

XOOPS vs. Mambo and PHPNuke, is in my opinion quality vs. eyecandy and quantity.
XOOPS is high quality coding, very stable, flexible and powerful. It's object orientation allows developers to expand the system easily, using the advanced kernel and core.

Mambo Open SOurce is relatively new, but has advanced real quick. It has lots of eyecandy, but under the hood XOOPS is far more advanced.
PHPNuke is the biggest of all the *Nukes, with so many members, in-house forks, compatibility issues, addons, versions, hacks, you name it, that it is unmanageable. Their focus is quantity.

I'm sure you'll find many many many more posts like this if you do a search on the forums (you're definately not the first to ask this), and many other community members will comment you on the pros and cons of XOOPS.

Herko

DHairy
  • 2004/1/14 15:10

• DHairy

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/1/13

I can tell you from experience with both PHPNuke and XOOPS,,

XOOPS loads SO MUCH Faster and is way less of a server/SQL drain. I ran PHP Nuke on the same machine I now run XOOPS on and there is no comparison.

Also, the Admin/backend section of PHPNuke is od awful.. nothing like the simplistic module based XOOPS which is so much easier to get setup.

Found lots of little things that don't quite work with PHPNuke,, and my XOOPS site worked from the fist install without one single glitch.

Check out my band and XOOPS Site:
Dirrty Hairy - A Tribute To Hair Metal

sunsnapper

The high points have been hit. I would say the only reason not to use XOOPS would be if you need a module that exists only for Nuke and not for Xoops. (Unless you plan to create your own modules anyways...)

The truth is, while there are 100s (1000s?) of Nuke modules you probably won't use them all. But, if there is a module you specifically need that is only on Nuke, it might be worth suffering the Nuke performance to have that module.

jeanito
  • 2004/1/14 15:59

• jeanito

• Just popping in

Can you define for me "eyecandy"?... you mean nicer in the graphics... ?

Mithrandir

Yes

jeanito
  • 2004/1/14 16:33

• jeanito

• Just popping in

Sorry for another silly question:

Is there any demo for the admin section of Xoops?

Thanks

neWPCNeo
  • 2004/1/14 16:34

• neWPCNeo

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/12/22

also all the versions of XOOPS come with a install program you just direct your browser to the install/index.php file and set it up whereas i have always struggled to install PHP-Nuke without using the older version in my cPannels pre-installed scripts.

EDIT: demo can be found -> here <- on opensourcecms.com just click the link type username and password provided on the page that i gave you the link to and click administration and there you go some features have been disabled though and the databases are reset every hour on the hour

chapi
  • 2004/1/14 16:38

• chapi

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2002/1/22

As Herko said before, you could check the following site.

http://www.opensourcecms.com/

It has many opensource cms systems for testing available, including xoops.

Login

Who's Online

222 user(s) are online (159 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 222

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits