kaliman
An easy way to test xoops
  • 2004/1/7 19:00

• kaliman

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/12/17

Abyss + php + XOOPS =

The first approach to XOOPS for people without programming knowledge can be quite difficult. Uploading, setting up a database in a remote server etc. can be very frustrating. I found this to be the easiest way to start testing XOOPS at home. I must tell you that my skills with servers are very low, so if any mistake is detected, please let me know or post it here. This was tested on win xp and win 2k.
Please notice. This post do not include how to create databases or how to secure your server etc.

Follow the book ok You need:

a) abyss web server: download and install abyss web server: here: http://www.aprelium.com/abyssws/download.php This is the easiest part of all .
b) PHP for Windows from http://www.php.net/downloads.php and install it. use the Windows installer version of PHP. Do not use the alpha versions. Install and say ok to everything.
• If you are asked during the installation of PHP about the type of your web server, choose None (or other web server), I will configure the web server manually and proceed.
• Open Abyss Web Server's console, select Server Configuration then press Advanced... and select CGI Parameters
• Set CGI Processing Enabled to Yes.
• Press Add... in the CGI Interpreters table.
• In the Interpreter Path field, enter the path of the php.exe executable file. If you have installed PHP in C:\Program Files\PHP, enter C:\Program Files\PHP\php.exe.
• Enter php in the Associated extensions, set Automatic Update of the CGI Paths (if available) to Yes, and press OK.
• Press Add... in the User CGI Environment Variables table.
• Enter REDIRECT_STATUS (with no leading or trailing spaces) in the Name field and 200 in the Value field and press OK.
• If you aren't using Abyss Web Server X1 version 1.2 or later, press Add... in the CGI Paths table, enter / in the CGI Path field and press OK.
• Press OK in the CGI Parameters dialog.
• Select Server Parameters.
• Press Add... in the Index Files table.
• Enter index.php in the Index file field and press OK.
• Press Restart to restart the server. (this info can be also found at http://www.aprelium.com )
c) Download mysq (the installer) from the closest mirror to you here: http://www.mysql.com/get/Downloads/MySQL-4.0/mysql-4.0.17-win.zip/from/pick#mirrors . Same advise, use the installer, do not use alpha versions. As soon as you download this big file unzip it in a temp folder, and then install by double clicking the setup file. Just follow the instructions and ready. To start the program go to C:\mysql\bin\ and double click “winmysqladmin.exe”, you will be asked to create a password, and you will se an small red-light in the task bar (it actually shoud turn green if all is fine).
Ready. Now unzip XOOPS in the web folder of abyss (C:\Program Files\Abyss Web Server\htdocs) You can delete the main page. Then go to your browser, type localhost and you should be directed to the installation page of xoops. In the database user value type: root ; leave empty the database password and put “test” in the database name. Keep on with te installation.
VERY IMPORTANT. THIS CONFIGURATION IS TO BE USED IN YOUR LOCAL SERVER, AND DO NOT GIVE ACCESS TO ANYONE FROM THE INTERNET, AS YOUR SQL IS NOT SECURE.
Next week I will post some tips on how to secure your server and make it public. (if someone knows how please post it)
Hope you find this usefull.
If some pro of XOOPS can test this and complement this will be better!

Herko
Re: An easy way to test xoops
  • 2004/1/7 19:31

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

A bit easier:

Download the excellent Miniserver at http://miniserver.sourceforge.net

Unpack to a desired folder. Running the start.bat will create a virtual drive called w:, which will function as your apache/php/mysql server root (so no installing/configuring needed!)
Copy your XOOPS site to the w:/www/ folder, fire up your browser, go to localhost/a/ (for the admin), fire up the MySQL server, and go to localhost/ to go through the XOOPS installer.

Easy peasy, you can even run it from a memory key, start it on any computer and take your development server with you in your pocket!!

Herko

studioC
  • 2004/1/7 20:40

• studioC

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/12/7

@herko, ...
that#s

Quote:
!!! Fcuknig amzanig huh !!!

i don#t dare thinking about the time i#ve spent to set up wamps and lamps ..... thats really easy even for me..
michael

Bassman
  • 2004/1/7 21:04

• Bassman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/5/23

I used PHPdev4.23 which is a self-installing setup, great for those unfamiliar with server setting up (like me )

Now, if it came with XOOPS instead of PHPWebsite, it would be perfect :o) (Maybe the developer needs an introduction to Xoops!)

svaha
  • 2004/1/7 23:00

• svaha

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/8/2 2

I downloaded Xampp from Apachefriends, it's a total packkage containing :
Quote:
Apache 2.0.48, MySQL 4.0.16, PHP 4.3.4 + PEAR, Perl 5.8.0, mod_php 4.3.4, mod_perl 1.99_10, mod_ssl 2.0.47, openssl 0.9.7b, PHPMyAdmin 2.5.3, Webalizer 2.01-10, Mercury Mail Transport System für Win32 und NetWare Systems v3.32, JpGraph 1.12.1, FileZilla FTP Server 0.8.5, SQLite 2.8.6, (WEB-DAV + MOD AUTH MySQL experimentell).

It's about 27 megs to download, but installed in a jippy. 10 minutes later I had my local site, it's really great for testing.

Aloha

EDIT : Ps thnx kaliman for setting up this topic, I had to search before I found something that was easy enough for me to use.

kaliman
  • 2004/1/8 14:35

• kaliman

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/12/17

Wow!
If I only knew all of this, I'd certanly saved a lot of time.
Thank you!

Jan304
  • 2004/1/8 17:40

• Jan304

• Official Support Member

• Since: 2002/3/31

Well, I don't know how these packages exactly work. I use since a loong time WAMP (in the beginning called ePHP), easy to use and, manual upgradeable (the structure stays as is with a normal install).

http://www.e-novative-download.com/setup_WAMP_1.5.0.exe

Login

Who's Online

917 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 917

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits