jmass
Postgress or SAP-DB???
  • 2003/12/19 2:16

• jmass

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/12/18

I see that currently there is only support for MySQL. I also notice a few interesting points.

1> There is a Database Abstraction Object

2> There is support in the install to install on different DBs(though not implemented)

What is the status on multiple database support? I would love to help. If there is others working on it, let me know what I can do. If not, I would like to start.

J-Mass

jsabater
Re: Postgress or SAP-DB???
  • 2003/12/19 9:54

• jsabater

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/11/11

May I suggest Firebird (http://www.firebirdsql.org) as a good alternative? It's a complete, ANSI compliant database that supports triggers, stored procedures, and so on. Latest version is 1.5 rc7, which will probably be the last release candidate before 1.5. And it's GPL

jmass
  • 2003/12/19 15:11

• jmass

• Friend of XOOPS

What is wrong with Postgres or SAP-DB?

Postgress is BSD and SAP-DB is GPL.

Having said that, I have nothing against firebird, I have just never worked with it.

My main concern is MySQL's lacking in data integrity features, such as commit and roll-back.

SAP-DB is great, and Postgres is the old standard. How does firebird rate?

Herko
  • 2003/12/19 16:14

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

I talked to Kazu about this and can tell you this:

We're having the current XOOPS version (2.0.5.1) tested to work with Postgress. This should work fine, but we're not 100% sure. At this moment, XOOPS can generate sql files for MS SQL server, postgresql, mysql, firebird, and interbase. These layers haven't all been implemented yet, but it's possible. We're also looking at ingres db integration.

The problem now, is that all SQL files need to be converted to the other database formats. For every module. This puts the brunt of the pressure on the module developers, and we can't expect them to know the db schema's of all the mentioned databases.

The next version of XOOPS (2.1) will make it a lot easier for module developers to support other db's: XOOPS will automatically generate the correct SQL files for the supported databases, based on an XML schema file provided by the module(developer) itself. Thus, it would be easy to add another db support to XOOPS, without changing all the modules

Herko

jmass
  • 2003/12/23 2:18

• jmass

• Friend of XOOPS

That is great news!

One question...

There obviously needs to be these sql dump for each of these DBs. But won't there need to be some adjustment, or alternate versions of the DAO?

Jason

FastEddie
  • 2004/2/3 18:24

• FastEddie

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/2/6 2

What's the status of the PostgreSQL support?

Thanks,
-Ed

giba
  • 2004/3/24 17:55

• giba

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/4/26

What's the status of the PostgreSQL support?

Thanks !!!

Login

Who's Online

146 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 1

Guests: 145

aerograf,

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!