kevinv
module to install modules
  • 2003/12/17 1:05

• kevinv

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/1/4 1

Just had this idea, but I don't have the programming know how to pull it off (nor the time to figure it out at the moment). Thought I would throw this out to anyone who wants to take it up.

I thought it would be neat to be able to do installs of modules from the internet via the modules interface or a special module. Perhaps some of the simpler XOOPS updates (like 2.0.5 to 2.0.5.1) could be made available this way too.

The way it would work (in my mind): a module developer would register her/his module with a central repository. The repository would be made available via a RSS feed.

The module interface (or module module would use the rss feed to show what modules are available. The admin would pick the module to install and via the info in the rss field, go grab it and put it in the proper place and install it.

If an update became available the admin would be notified the next time the module module was used.

The biggest problem I see is that the files would be installed as the same user that the web server runs as. Not sure if it would be possible to prompt for a username/password and chmod after download (really not sure how to fix this under IIS).

Things I would like to see in the module rss feed:
Module Name
Module Version
Module Developer
Module License
Module Description
Module Sample Page
Module Download

Kevin

Herko
Re: module to install modules
  • 2003/12/17 7:52

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

This idea has come up in the development teams as well, tho not as far as you describe The uploader as user is indeed an issue, but we can probably think of something for that

Herko

lykoszine
  • 2003/12/17 11:36

• lykoszine

• Module Developer

• Since: 2002/1/2 2

I think Mambo has one of these. Might be wroth looking at

talunceford

I've been toying with the very idea....

Resized Image

Ive got the workings of the system done....

just need to work on the RSS feed... or list of some sort....

chrisz
  • 2003/12/17 22:05

• chrisz

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/7/9 1

Quote:

talunceford wrote:
I've been toying with the very idea....

Ive got the workings of the system done....

just need to work on the RSS feed... or list of some sort....

I have but one word for what I just saw....SWEET!!!

Great job!!!
Chris

kevinv
  • 2003/12/18 0:43

• kevinv

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/1/4 1

That is pretty darn cool. Does it have the ability to download from another site instead of upload via the interface? (although upload is definitly a must too!)

Kevin

p.s. make smaller screenshots that makes screen scroll all over and is half empty....

talunceford

Right now it is strictly upload through the interface. Although uploading from another site is a very good idea. I need to do some research on how to write a function to do that.

Some of the features that I have now are:

Ability to upload module, unzip & delete zip file in one motion. Install the module from the directory list. Its very rough right now. Mostly because I scavanged code from differnt scripts available on the net, and haven't had enough time to strip the functions out and put them in their own individual functions.

The biggest thing is that it works. I think it will be a mini-module the way that it is going.

Here are some in action pics of the module...

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

I will keep you guys posted on the progress....

talunceford

Ono, how hard would it be to make an RSS feed for the downloads? Specifically the modules for X2.

talunceford

talunceford
Need some help with an untar class.....

While attending the school of hard knocks....

I found the need to be able to untar archives for this module. Go figure.... Anyway, I found a class for untarring tar'd files. Being limited in the knowledge object oriented programming experience is hurting my progress though. Could someone look at this code and tell me what I've done wrong?

I can get it to run through the code fine, but as far as extracting the archive, it doesn't. The script doesn't bomb, just doesn't extract. I know its something simple, but what that simple thing is, I am blind too.

####################################################### UNTAR FUNCTION #############################################################

/*
function untar() {
global $HTTP_POST_VARS;
global $dir, $unzip, $action;
$dir = $HTTP_POST_VARS['dir'];
$unzip = $HTTP_POST_VARS['unzip'];
$action = $HTTP_POST_VARS['action'];

// Include the Tarlib class
include XOOPS_ROOT_PATH.'/modules/xadmintools/class/class.tar.php';
$showcontents = "$dir/$unzip";
$untar = new gzfile($unzip);
$untar->extract('$unzip');
echo $showcontents;
@unlink($dir."/$unzip");

echo "<font color=FF0000 size=3><br>>>> $unzip Deleted! </font>";

redirect_header("unzip.php",10,"$unzip successfully extracted, and was deleted from server!");
}
######################################################### END UNTAR FUNCTION ###############################################################
*/

Or better yet, what variables would I need to get the tar class to work that comes with the XOOPS core?

Some sort of direction is greatly needed on this, and I'll take any advice given!

Any and all help on this is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Login

Who's Online

191 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 191

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits