malexandria
Re: Post your feature requests for the newBB

I would also like to see the forums totally replace the news comments as well, so that way you are not duplicating discussion threads as what happens a lot with my site, where people will comment on a story and then create a forum thread for that same comment, it'd be nice if there was a way to tie those two together.

With that said, I would also like to have the ability to turn off the comments on a per article basis or site wide and force people into the forums to comment on stuff.

Stewdio
  • 2003/11/29 10:38

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

Invite Koudanshi from BBPixel.com to the core team and have his input. Of course you can't replicate phpbb 100%, but his experience will greatly help the team create a more usable system.

mike--h
  • 2003/11/29 12:52

• mike--h

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/6/22

1. The ability for all users to be able to select "full text" notification by email not just the adminQuote:
Notify me of any new posts (include full text in message).

am sure not many other forums can offer this feature as in depth as combination of newbb and notifcation system allows

2. The addition of existing "hacks" which allow using bb code to post up flash, real audio etc in a forum post
And the "hack" which allows the bbcode to be posted at the cursor postion

3. The ability for users to upload attachments

4. As others asked- the news post comments being submitted direct to newbb

5. Be nice to have a rough estimate of timescale if possible

a killer addition would be

the ability to post via email, tied in with the post full forum posts by email, this would imo be a immense feature, giving XOOPS the ability to run communties along lines of yahoo groups etc

carnuke
  • 2003/11/29 16:12

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

Quote:
a killer addition would be the ability to post via email, tied in with the post full forum posts by email

The word Yahoo (usually causes a gurgling sound in the back of the throat for many.) Anyway, one must acknowledge that they have one of the most successful community operations on the net, inspite of their atrocious subliminal advertising and marketing policy.

Having already carried out a survey to establish some of the popular features of the Yahoo board, it was clearly indicated that the 'email digest' 'remote email post to board' and 'expand messages' where the top most useful features. I spent some time posting on the phpbb forum to encourage the development of the email digest feature. This facility has now been written and available as a phpbb mod. One of the drawback of the phpbb digest is that it is delivered by using crontab. This is not suitable for many users.

Email digest only occurs on a few board systems, all of which are paid software, except yahoo and the recent mod to phpbb.

Rather than 're-inventing the wheel' may I suggest scrutinising the features of other boards, not only for the facilities but also the technical methodology. Anything that enhances quick, concise organised commuication should lead the way forward with minor gimmicks left as a back option.

My own research clearly indicates email digest, remote posting to board and expand messages as key features in this quest.

Regards, Richard

WarDick
  • 2003/11/29 16:29

• WarDick

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/9/13

Highlight a great Post as A News Story

I would like to be able to Highlight a Great Forum Post as a News Story on the Front Page of My Site. Sometimes the good ones get lost in TIME.
Resized Image

batmon
  • 2003/12/2 7:28

• batmon

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/11/24

I would like to see a bit unique BB if possible. Maybe able to upload image and display on the fourm?

I think it will be really cool if each registered user can have his own BB, and then user invite others to come and see his BB and exchange message across BBs.

Mithrandir

ALT + S = Submit

oh - and "mark forums read"

That's all I need

Anonymous
  • 2003/12/2 10:15

• Anonymous

• Since:

How about just making it a full fledged BB system?

Just add all the features IPB 1.3 has and it will rock!

Oh, and an import script to allow exisitng IPB and vB boards to be imported, like posts, forum, avatars, user names and passwords etc. etc.

Max

Mithrandir

We have already got the message that you want to use IPB or vB with XOOPS.

If you could tell what it is in particular you'd like NewBB to have, which it doesn't atm, it would be of much more use.
XOOPS is supposed to distinguish itself from others, which it doesn't by copying other work - but of course, distinguishing itself by being inferiour is not the way to go
So please be more specific.

techgnome
  • 2003/12/2 15:16

• techgnome

• Module Developer

• Since: 2002/8/9 5

Here is my 2 cents worth....
Ability to see all posts since last visit.
Ability to see all posts w/ no replies or less than X views (X can be either user or admin config'd)
Polls. Other BB system allow a poster to also create a poll as part of the thread. I only discovered yesterday that newBB doesn't have this feature -- found out the hard way.
Expanded threaded view. 99% of the time, I switch to flat view to make it easier to view all of the replies in a thread. I would be more likely to actually use the threaded mode, if the posts were expanded to the show the post rather than just the subject line of the post (which I then have to click). Maybe this can be another view option.

TG

Login

Who's Online

194 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 194

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits