Mithrandir
Re: XOOPS 2.1 Core development Roadmap

You mean BOTH email and PM?
Or on a per-notification basis? (this forum = PM, this topic = email etc.)

Shine
  • 2003/11/2 14:33

• Shine

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2002/7/22

Although a lot as been said, I want to bring in my core wishlist.

Blocks:
Better blockadmin and positioning.
Being able to put blocks also on center(L-R-C)bottom.
Advanced Blocks assignment throughout a complete module.

Personal Messages:
Adding of outbox.
AdminSetting of Max. messages allowence of Pm. for in- and outbox.

Main Menu:
Better editable mainmenu with add/deactivate of sub-&submenu's possibilty.

Forms:
Being abble to edit the forms (user registering, contact etc.) into personal needs.

Image manager:
Ability to create subcategories.
Ability to upload other formats (pdf, tar etc) as the momentary zip.

Correcting the cache system and solve the long error messageslist. Because this list extends every update.
Cleaning up the core code of non used code/files. I.e. see topic:https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=12495&forum=20#forumpost50016
Think there will be a lot more.

As an admin being abble to use the java-windowlinkscript within every module. Specially contentmodules.

Running two xoopssites with use of one usersdatabase.

Documentation for devs, users, beginners .....

Grtz., Shine

Boobtoob
  • 2003/11/2 15:26

• Boobtoob

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2001/12/22

Hey guys, it's been a long time since I spoke up about anything and there's LOTS of great ideas for more core features. There's one that's been neglected for a VERY long time that still needs fixing. The mail function.

You can't generate an email to all users successfully to this day.

Just my 2c.

Eric
a.k.a Boobtoob

P.S. Great job new team!

chris
  • 2003/11/3 2:03

• chris

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/1/3 7

How about some way of attaching files to any article/ comment etc, similar to the way that Catz has done this with WF-Sections, but as a core function?

I realize that there would be security issues on an open site, but when using XOOPS on an intranet, the ability to attach files to NewBB postings or news is really important.

Chris

Herko
preliminary summary of roadmap discussion
  • 2003/11/3 13:52

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

To keep the discussion sharp and on-topic, here's what I make of the wish list so far. Please note that this is a wish list, not a list of features that will be added to the core in the next release. Some features will be easier to implement then others. It's up to the Core Team to decide which features to add in the next version, and up to the developers to see if that is a feasible option or not. If you already have written hacks that make these features possible, please let us know, so we can review the code and add it to the core, if applicable. Also, if you want to help with the development, let us know as well. For all you non-developers out there, there are a LOT of other things we need your help with, so don't worry
Rest assured, we'll all work hard and long to make XOOPS your CMS

One of the things that will have to be clear in this discussion (and this topic has been touched in this thread) is the difference between core and modules. From the next version, the core will no longer hold any of the modules developed by the core developers (newbb, news, mydownloads, mylinks, sections, xoopspartners, xoopsmembers, xoopspoll, etc.). The Core Development Team will focus on the kernel and the classes, thus focussing on the actual core of XOOPS. The Module development Team will be working on developing and upgrading the (previously core) modules.

(note that the following summary is just that, if you don't see your own request in this summary, and you think it should, please reply to this post . I did my best, and I think I have most of the requests)

Requested features

MULTILINGUAL CONTENT
Requested many times, also discussed on these forums a few times before, is the ability to make content multilingual. This also includes management of the languages and the current interface language definitions.

GREATER LAYOUT CONTROL
By being able to use a WYSIWYG editor to edit the content, greater block placement control, greater template control inside modules, easier and extended main menu control, more flexible block contents

GREATER USER PERSONALISATION
By admin defined user profiles, an extended PM system and better e-mail functions to and for users, user homepage preferences, privacy features for users, friends/foes system, mark all read in newbb, space in username

GREATER AND EXTENDED GROUP ACCESS CONTROL
user and category based access control, more granular, also for moderation and editors of content

GREATER DATABASE/CODEBASE CONTROL
By adding LDAP Authentication, shared user tables over mor then one site and more sites using one codebase, multiple instances of modules

FRIENDLIER URL'S AND SEARCH ENGINE FRIENDLYNESS
By rewriting URLs using mod_rewrite and better META tag handling

DOCUMENTATION
for everything you can think of

ADMIN INTERFACE ENHANCEMENTS
better and easier block management, admin interface customisation

MEDIA MANAGEMENT
for images, attachments, uploads, etc. a better media management with gretaer control

BETTER CACHE AND ERRORHANDLING
Better management of the cache features, as well as a good and comprehensive errorhandler

EXTENDED AND IMPROVED CONTENT MANAGEMENT
XML export for content, content available for offline browsing, user defined forms, backup system, more options for content items (nr of reads for admin only, PDF export, save, bookmark, etc.), unlimited headline characters, better category handling and management, versioning system, topic centric content organisation, javascript window link use

EXTENDED AND IMPROVED ADMIN
pseudo-cron in system admin

Draven
Re: preliminary summary of roadmap discussion
  • 2003/11/3 14:23

• Draven

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/5/28

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention..

Error reporting for admin ONLY. Debugging info should not show to other users, only admin group. I hate having to shopw everyone my debugging info when I'm trying to look at one thing. You should be able to set group access for this feature as well.

Daigoro
  • 2003/11/3 16:08

• Daigoro

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/7/3 2

Quote:
Draven wrote:
Error reporting for admin ONLY.

What about removing the error-reporting from the top of the html page? Store the errors in the database, or in a file on the server, and use a special php script to display the errors.
That would make debugging invisible to regular users, and it would allow for a smarter error display.

Mithrandir

I actually like the PHP-debug as it is; showing up, where the error is reported (e.g. in a cell in a table) helps me quickly find and remove the problem.

Making it webmaster-only would be great, tho'

Draven
  • 2003/11/3 16:17

• Draven

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/5/28

Quote:

Daigoro wrote:

Quote:
Draven wrote:
Error reporting for admin ONLY.

What about removing the error-reporting from the top of the html page? Store the errors in the database, or in a file on the server, and use a special php script to display the errors.
That would make debugging invisible to regular users, and it would allow for a smarter error display.

Actually all you have to do is wrap the error dsiplay in an auth check. It's easy enough to hack, my point is it would be nice not to have to hack each new version. Other than that I think the error reporting is already very helpfull.

markoh
  • 2003/11/3 17:42

• markoh

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/5/14

Herko, your missing the fundamental change/addition to the core:

Like some others and me already mentioned, its very important to get a broader control on users and the way they can access/view/write.
Now it's all group based but its better when you can do it on userbase. Even more control.

i think this is a must have function if XOOPS wants to stay as one of the main CMS'es..

Login

Who's Online

236 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 236

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits