securite
how to provide news feed from xoops
  • 2003/10/6 16:07

• securite

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/8/7 1

i have read all the posts on this site regarding xoopsheadline etc. but what i would like to know is just the opposite - how to provide news feed from my own XOOPS site to others? is there a function builtin or is there a script that i can download?

thanks

malexandria
Re: how to provide news feed from xoops

Unfortanetly there isn't a central way for the headline's module to automatically provide your news to other websites, that would be a great feature, but I'm not sure how you would impliment it without have a centralized web services area on the XOOPS domain.

In order to syndicate your news, you have to find news syndication companies and simply market your content the way you market your site. Do a google search on "free newsfeeds" and you can probably submit your backend.php file to them.

tjnemez
  • 2003/10/6 16:33

• tjnemez

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/9/21

i would like to syndicate my news as well. checked out free newsfeeds, but no luck.

securite
  • 2003/10/6 16:37

• securite

• Just popping in

thanks malexandria for the reply. but i am not thinking that big. what i have been looking for is something like this:

https://xoops.org/backend.php

or this:

http://lwn.net/headlines/rss

nothing fancy but just a means to share news with friends' website using xoops. is this doable?

rider
  • 2003/10/6 23:13

• rider

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/6/18

If they are using XOOPS as well it should be doable.

Clone the default setup for the XOOPS site feed and change the link from:

https://xoops.org/backend.php

to your site address:

http://rider.net.nz/backend.php

Initially the feed may not appear but after the update time the feed should filter through.

On my site I changed it to 1hr updates.

securite
  • 2003/10/6 23:37

• securite

• Just popping in

thanks rider for the tip! will try that....

techgnome
  • 2003/10/7 0:35

• techgnome

• Module Developer

• Since: 2002/8/9 5

backend.php is a part of the basic XOOPS install. and by default it uses code to get the website URL, so there's no need to do anything. Just run it.
As a side note, I have modified backend.php that allows three different types of feeds. 1)Last 10 news items, 2) last 10 items added to wfSection, and 3) Last 5 news items and last 5 wfSection articles.
Visit my site, DeveloperKB.com to see it in action.

TG

Coreace
  • 2003/10/7 12:34

• Coreace

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/8/26

' Unfortanetly there isn't a central way for the headline's module to automatically provide your news to other websites, that would be a great feature, but I'm not sure how you would impliment it without have a centralized web services area on the XOOPS domain.'

This should be possible and something perhaps your team can look into. I have seen other CMS's having this as an option. A RSS button that will generate the links and feed for you. e-Xoops has this feature built into all the modules, just tested it the other day and found it very useful when sharing info across sites.

lykoszine
  • 2003/10/7 13:22

• lykoszine

• Module Developer

• Since: 2002/1/2 2

The Lykos Syndication module has an RSS and a JS feed for news, links, downlaods and reviews.

It needs fixing for some bugs, and I plan to add Wfsections also.

Big_Bro
  • 2004/3/20 2:24

• Big_Bro

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/2/26

Is there a way to offer separate RSS feeds from the regular news block and from either xf or wfsections?

I have a situation where the editor of my xfsections wants to have her own RSS feed, and I'd rather not mix the main news block with the xfsections content in a single RSS feed.

Login

Who's Online

193 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 193

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits