Very well said destrux!

mike--h
Re: time to say goodbye to newbb?
  • 2003/7/8 0:11

• mike--h

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/6/22

Some interesting comments to original post

Main line of thinking come about from as (I believe) XOOPS newwbb evolved from a stock standard phpbb.
With the work kous put in, it seems that his module offers a more advanced forum

Would say the question is what would be quicker,
the adoption of his module as it stands now
or the development of newbb to match what that module offers.

Of course the best solution would be to enhance newbb to offer the same features.
But to be blunt will this happen?
Look at the current situation, there's a few hacks going around offering more features. will these be added to the offical release, or just lost in time?

While realise its not as simple as may sound, and are other issues as well, if XOOPS has done it in past, then perhaps may be worth doing it again at some time

Ask this question with a smile, would this forum on xoops.org serve members better if it used phpbb or ipb forum modules:)

Have to add that have used the IPM Module for a fair while now, and find the comments "buggy as hell" a bit out of order, maybe in early days had teething probs but nowadays am sure that many of the XOOPS sites using it now will disagree with that statement.
Imo one of the most worthwhile mods and your man k deseves full credit for work with that, phpbb, and all other modules and additions.

nhallman
  • 2003/7/8 0:31

• nhallman

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/12/12

Koudanshi has done a great job, no doubts there. But the changes to the XOOPS core, esp. the user management, required by his module are far from ideal.

Any mods to newBB may also require changes to the XOOPS core, but would be far fewer and would be (I presume) more likely to be accepted by XOOPS devs as part of the XOOPS "canon" of modules.

I lead a university web development team that is working on developing some modules for XOOPS that will turn it into an effective Learning Management System (LMS). One major need is a more feature-filled BB.

If anyone wanted to undertake adding features to newBB while attempting to modify the core as little as possible, I would certainly be willing to contribute some of my staff's (of 3, we're a university, don't get too big of an idea ) time to the development.

destrux
  • 2003/7/8 0:43

• destrux

• Since: 2002/6/3 1

nhallman, if you would like more developers to possibly contribute to your LMS modules please check the xmode team site. This is a place for module developers to gather to work on new modules and to enhance existing modules. Talk to herko about the possibity of adding your project to the list of existing projects so that we may all contribute to the work and maybe take some of the weight off your staff, if you want of course.

Catzwolf
  • 2003/7/8 2:15

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

I do apologise on my term is buggy as hell, I mean't to say 'it was as buggy as hell'. My thoughts and feeling on this is not a direct attack at Kush as he has done some excellent work on that module.

But in saying that, my reason for using it still stands.

Catzwolf
  • 2003/7/8 2:23

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Destrux:

When I was updating the newBB forum, I actually made no changes to the core but the Database was modified heavily.

Infact, my whole purpose was to have the version I was working on updatable with IBF and newBB (the DB structure was taken form IBF orginally).

I would still like to update newBB to the same standard or as near as IBF, site stats etc and I was trying to get as close to that standard as much as my coding (then) would permit me.

I may have another crack at this, as I still have my original code there and I believe I could transfer this across to the XOOPS 2 version of newBB.

destrux
  • 2003/7/8 10:01

• destrux

• Since: 2002/6/3 1

Sounds great to me Catz

Olorin
Don't forget about the accesibility
  • 2003/7/8 12:36

• Olorin

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/7/5 1

Everyone has the right to enjoy the internet.Some use Internet Explorer,and some use Opera,others use other browsers.On the top of that,Some enjoy the internet without images,some need to use a voice browser.I mean I'm a bit fed up adding alt element.Why don't you define it as a default.
PHPBB,IPB,and NEWBB lack the accesibility a bit,I think.

Well,it is not only the problem of NEWBB,but also Xoops.I can see some needless javascripts.For instance,Comment Button,Avatar,Inbox,Edit,logout buttons in user.php(view account).I cannot deny that javascript is so usefull.But most carefull visiters disable javascript as a default.

I'm very interested in worring about the accesibility recently.Because I've just started to run my own site with Xoops.And I read the article :Spam-bot tests flunk the blind
I knew there are many people with disabilities in the world.Although it was a big shock that there are no less than 50 million people with disabilities (on eyes?) in the U.S. only.Probably,this inculdes the people with lazy eyes.But don't you think we should make an effort to open the door more widely?thank you for reading.

mike--h
Re: Don't forget about the accesibility
  • 2003/7/11 23:46

• mike--h

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/6/22

This is one area where I would think that the ability for users to choose and keep their own theme was a benefit.

Accesibility could be tailored directly to the users needs.

Be there needs as in the above post, or if users are using different browsers, or say some prefer a "light" look or a "more featured" look. Flash or non-flash, different screen resoloutions and so on,

Shame imo no longer available as it does offer many more options to xoops. And opens more doors to users to use the site.

nhallman
  • 2003/7/24 18:29

• nhallman

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/12/12

Quote:

destrux wrote:
nhallman, if you would like more developers to possibly contribute to your LMS modules please check the xmode team site

Thanks, I'll check it out...

Login

Who's Online

258 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 258

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits