malexandria
Re: time to say goodbye to newbb?

I think most site owners get too hung up on their Forums and various bells and whistles. While the end users really don't care which forum package you use. All they want to be able to do is have a discussion, and use smilies.

I honestly can't see what all these other forums offer that NewBB DOESN'T. It even now has a notifications feature. About the only thing missing, maybe is the ability to follow threads in their email, which basically becomes a listserve at that point. Again it has notifications feature, threaded/flat few, smilies, and it even looks like phpbb, icon board, blah, blah. Best of all it's fully integrated into the core. So I don't get where this need or desire comes from to swap it with something else.

HughG
  • 2003/6/24 12:26

• HughG

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/2/21

For the most part, I think XOOPS is the next best thing since PB&J. But i still find myself going, "gosh i wish..." and it's usually in the areas of the forums.

Whistles and bells would be nice, but not needed. I think some of these just add to the clutter. Clutter in the user interface and clutter in the consequent posts.

I would perfer more basic features however...

Things like:

-Moderators able to delete a single post rather than the whole thread...
-Moderatorts being able to move a single post to another area rather than the whole thread..
-A mark all posts read ablility - (i get hounded on this by users quite a bit)

Those are the things I feel newBB is missing and have me looking (sometimes) at the other Forum offerings. The only thing that keeps me from going that route is the cringe i get when having to do core overwrites these require.

DaBoyz
  • 2003/6/24 12:45

• DaBoyz

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/8/8 1

Quote:
I honestly can't see what all these other forums offer that NewBB DOESN'T.

MODERATION like in the news module : webmaster can read a post before publishing ...

Some persons could answer that the forum will not be a real forum after that but I could answer that I don't want to activate the option at first but I would like to have the opportunity to do this on a specific forum if I needed to (otherwise, I must close all the module) ...

pod
  • 2003/6/24 13:42

• pod

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/4/19

Quote:
I think most site owners get too hung up on their Forums and various bells and whistles. While the end users really don't care which forum package you use. All they want to be able to do is have a discussion, and use smilies.

I think you are very wrong, I think the end users thrive on the novelty of a pimped out board. In fact I know this to be true, because when I tried months ago to switch my users from Ikonboard to postnuke (using phpbb), they all flipped out. Even in the transition to XOOPS I lost over half my members, but now that they are realizing that InvisionBoard is just as good as Ikonboard or better, they are coming back in droves, praising the new forum. They dont seem to care about the cool news & links & totally integrated comments system, they couldnt give a damn that its beautifully written unique code. All the emoticons in the world cannot compensate for excellence of communications.

Plus, I dont mean to rag on XOOPS cuz IMO its the best free CMS out there, but the XOOPS-standard private messenger is sorely lacking. After transferring to the IBF Module, you can track messages to know when they have been read & even delete them before they are read... very nifty features. I have also replaced the XOOPS avatar system with the IBF avatar system, because its so much more practical on so many levels, & it looks better too. The IBF Module adds a lot to XOOPS, period. Its about to be upgraded too, I cant wait...

Shufflebug
  • 2003/6/24 15:32

• Shufflebug

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/6/19

Quote:
but the XOOPS-standard private messenger is sorely lacking. After transferring to the IBF Module, you can track messages to know when they have been read & even delete them before they are read... very nifty features.

This is one of the features i miss too in newBB. Especially the thing you didn't mention thepod, the notification email that is sent when receiving a new PM !! I think this feature would take my users to log in more often on site, 'cause they know there's a new msg for them.
We have a global notification system in XOOPS 2 now, why not using this one to notify about new PMs as well ?? I think there's a big lack !

Shufflebug

p.s. thepod, what did you mean with Quote:
I have also replaced the XOOPS avatar system with the IBF avatar system, because its so much more practical on so many levels, & it looks better too.
?

tom
  • 2003/6/24 17:29

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

Quote:
This is coming from a total PHP / CMS newbie purely from the viewpoint of manageablity and functionality and site layout. I almost chose PHP-Nuke over XOOPS with one of the main reasons being PHP-Nukes use of the phpBB forums (I also like the Somara XP theme for PHP-Nuke, I'm sick I know ) . One of the other major issues I have is with XOOPS is the CSS aligment issues with the seemingly very broken IE 5.X.

2 things:

You could use the phpbb module or IBF module

There is a windows theme for xoops, infact I'm sure I seen two on one of the theme sites.

Hope this helps

tom
  • 2003/6/24 17:41

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

Quote:
I am currently running 4 XOOPS sites, all of which have been converted to use the IPBoard by koudanshi. The features of the IBF module far outweigh any issues about waiting for updates post-official-upgrade. If it werent for the availability of the IBF module, I would never have chosen XOOPS as my CMS.

Good luck updating your XOOPS site, when XOOPS CMS gets upgraded, that will be a fair wack of work, a long waiting time until the module dev updates his.

The problem with swoping the main forums for Xoops, is all the users, still using Newbb, what happens to there posts, Devs then have to create upgrade scripts, then XOOPS is no longer XOOPS but XoopsIBF and means we use a non GPL board, and are forced to keep links back to the IBF site, which from a business point of view don't look too good. of course this is all IMHO

tom
  • 2003/6/24 17:57

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

Quote:

Well said Malexandria, I don't get it too, Newbb is fine, we don't need this that and the other, imho.

The only thing I would like to see in XOOPS is notification of PM's via E-mail which I think would be cool, and the option to turn it on or off for different groups.

Apart from that, Newbb goes down a treat.

Sorry for making 3 posts, but because of the ammount of writing in each post, I felt it better to reply sep.

pod
  • 2003/6/25 2:43

• pod

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/4/19

Quote:
Only problem I've had is that I've been unable to get the login hack to work . However through tinkering I've managed to stop my site working at all , lucky I backed up. I'm using a W2K / IIS combo, are you able to point me in the direction of getting this login hack to work? I've tried doing everything discussed on the forums there, but nothing changes.

The login hack works flawlessly with XOOPS 2.02. Koudanshi has updated common.php (the only updated-to-2.03 login-hacked file) to allow login, but on 2.03 I have not managed to get it to "remember". I intend to compare the 2 common.php files I have tonight to make this work, I'll let u know if I get it to work as it should. Like I say tho, it works w/o a hitch on 2.02.
Koudanshi is very good about updating his files to work with XOOPS updates nearly as soon as XOOPS turns em out, & he is incredibly nice about helping with any issues that may arise with his modules. Even so, hes just 1 guy... which is the only reason I would suggest the XOOPS DEV team take on this module. Maybe its better as it is though... I know when I go to his site & ask a question that it will promptly be answered, I know I can rely on his modules as is.

Quote:
p.s. thepod, what did you mean by "I have also replaced the XOOPS avatar system with the IBF avatar system, because its so much more practical on so many levels, & it looks better too." ?

I've tweaked the userinfo template a lot... you can see if you look at my profile. Open up your userinfo template & replace the link for the "Edit Avatar" with "modules/ipboard/index.php?act=UserCP&CODE=24" & instead of directing ppl to the XOOPS avatar system, it will bring people to their IBF Avatar CP. If you register on my sitehttp://www.toolunity.com & view ur own profile, you will see what I mean.
With the next release of the IBF module the profiles will be even further integrated, seehttp://www.b4v.net/ecoblue/modules/ipboard/index.php?showuser=2 for an example of whats to come...

hope this helps

tom
  • 2003/6/25 2:51

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

Quote:
Koudanshi is very good about updating his files to work with XOOPS updates nearly as soon as XOOPS turns em out, & he is incredibly nice about helping with any issues that may arise with his modules.

That I do not doubt, I've spoken with Koudanshi, and he is one of the best, but if something was to happen in his family and god wish it never will happen, or if he takes a long holiday, or other unforseeable things arise, then you are still left waiting.

This would be better as the core module for XOOPS in order for support and upgrades, but then what would Koudanshi if the XOOPS dev's make it core, would he still be involved in development and even though he is an outstanding person, the Devs may not be looking for other Devs.

But I think IMHO we should stick with Newbb and if the Devs wish then work on that and upgrade it, incorperate new features.

Of course like I say this is IMO

Login

Who's Online

140 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 140

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits