Housey
Best Wiki Module
  • 2010/10/21 6:55

• Housey

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/1/2 1

Hi,

Can anyone suggest the best Wiki module?

Are there any demos of a good one?

Thanks in advance...

ghia
Re: Best Wiki Module
  • 2010/10/21 7:49

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

Never used one, but here is MediaWiki used.
But WiwiMod/SimplyWiki from skenow should also be a good one.

nmshah
  • 2010/10/21 12:37

• nmshah

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2007/7/2 8

If you are looking for a simple Wiki module then I feel the one by skenow is very good. MediaWiki I think has has a bigger learning curve compared to simplywiki

redheadedrod

So what Wiki modules do we currently have available? Mediawiki, dokuwiki and wiwimod/simplewiki? Are there any more?

I am working on trying to port the newer Mediawiki but since it is my first attempt at a real xoops module there is a bit of a learning curve so don't wait for it. However I expect there to be an easy upgrade path the the newer Mediawiki if I am successful.

MediaWiki is the basis for Wikipedia and there is a lot of support for it.

Rodney

Housey
  • 2010/11/21 10:41

• Housey

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/1/2 1

Hi,

Long time since i've been able to look at this again. Thanks for the replies.

I'm after a Wiki that will allow functionality like Wikipedia but importantly allow the addition of photos (and possibly videos but this is not that important).

Does simpleWiki allow photos to be added to articles?

cheers...

redheadedrod

MediaWiki DOES allow that stuff but I have suspended my work on anything until the end of the year because of some work and health related issues.

Your best bet otherwise is to get the others and play with them.

I was running into a bit of a road block here redoing the wiki because the current mediawiki online is old and doesn't really seem to support alot of the newer stuff. So I decided to port the newest media wiki to Xoops. However due to some things coming up I have no control over I have had to suspend anything I have been doing until I have completed some things. So I won't likely be back to working on this until late in December or after the first of the year.

I want to make an "Xpress" for media wiki but haven't had the time while taking 9 classes and working 60+ hours a week and fitting in being a parent somewhere.. But my classes and certifications should be done about christmas if all goes well and I will have more time. So if someone else wants to port that it would be great otherwise I expect to tinker with it a little here and there but won't get serious until I am done with my current non Xoops things.

Rodney

Mamba
  • 2010/11/21 17:36

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
I want to make an "Xpress" for media wiki

That would be fantastic!

Anybody who could help Rodney?
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

ghia
  • 2010/11/21 22:03

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

Quote:
Does simpleWiki allow photos to be added to articles?
I assume it does. It would me wonder that you cold not add images to the text.

skenow
  • 2010/11/21 22:42

• skenow

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/11/17

SimplyWiki supports WYSIWYG editors and the DHTML editor, which all support inserting images into the pages.

In my installations, I also install xcGallery and set the upload directory for FCKeditor to match the gallery uploads.

To see SimplyWiki in action, visit
Christian Web Resources - User Guides (Wiki)
Design n Bloom - About Us
Kienow Family - Our Stories
Cheers Wine & Spirits - Wiki

My thoughts about wiki markup - stay away from it! It isn't portable - HTML is. SimplyWiki uses special markup only for creating and linking pages, not as a substitute for HTML. I had a hell of a time trying to convert 500+ pages from MediaWiki markup to something I could use in SimplyWiki

bhndbrwneyes

is there a wiki mod that allows categories? I am currently using simplywiki and I created a page, then I created several pages under it. I want the parent page to act as a "category" and display links to all the pages that are under it, sorted by alphabetical order

Login

Who's Online

175 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 175

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits