zuluDROOG
Automatic account expiry
  • 2010/7/3 10:56

• zuluDROOG

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/9/18

Hi All,

It's been a long time since I've posted here. Actually it's been a long time between VISITS. The place looks terrific!

Anyway, my dilemma: My wife runs a small community site and wants to temporarily upgrade certain members after they have provided a donation. However, I want to create a group that will automatically demote these "paid" members (to a lesser status) after a pre-set period of time.

I don't want any sort of payment gateway software or expensive commercial third party add-on. The community is too small to warrant this. My wife is easily able to keep up with manually upgrading accounts as she receives a donation but we want them to downgrade automatically.

Is it possible?

Thanks for reading. Any advice would be appreciated!

mariane
Re: Automatic account expiry
  • 2010/7/3 18:19

• mariane

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2008/1/11

what you need exists in a paid module "Adhesion" for Herve. but if you dont need to pay, you have to do upgrade and downgrade manual
the road of success is always under construction

ghia
  • 2010/7/4 7:55

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

There are two subscription modules in the repository. Check them out.
They may have a part for manual adding a user in the admin, so you don't need the regular payment option.

zuluDROOG
  • 2010/7/4 8:08

• zuluDROOG

• Just popping in

SUBSCRIPTION! Ah-ha! That's the word I was needing. I'll check out the product from Third Eye Software (the other one pointed to a broken link) and see how it goes. Thank you very much!

ghia
  • 2010/7/4 8:12

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

Quote:
the other one pointed to a broken link
Which one?

zuluDROOG
  • 2010/7/4 8:36

• zuluDROOG

• Just popping in

MC Subscriptions:

https://xoops.org/modules/repository/singlefile.php?cid=101&lid=1570

The following link was broken:

http://www.nothrillshost.com/UK/xoops.htm

zuluDROOG
  • 2010/7/4 8:39

• zuluDROOG

• Just popping in

I should add: the download probably works fine. But I'm a bit perturbed from installing any module whose creator doesn't update the links. It doesn't instil a lot of... confidence. :)

mboyden
  • 2010/7/5 1:03

• mboyden

• Since: 2005/3/9 1

The subscription module from Third Eye is a solid but simple module that generally does what it advertises - it allows manual or automated adding to one or more groups by way of a payment gateway (paypal, ccbill, payflow at this point) at which point their subscription will automatically expire at a set time (and/or automatically renew) and (through a cron job) expires the users and removes them from the group. They have more than one gateway. The free version uses a manual gateway (effectively invoiced, and/or manually addable).

I haven't tried or used Adhesion, yet, but looks to be useful as well.

Good luck!
Pessimists see difficulty in opportunity; Optimists see opportunity in difficulty. --W Churchill

XOOPS: Latest | Debug | Hosting and Web Development

redheadedrod

Did you ever find something that works?

zuluDROOG
  • 2010/8/8 7:50

• zuluDROOG

• Just popping in

Sorry Rod, no. I downloaded Subscription (subscription-0.95-3.tar.gz) and was all ready to give it a go--100% convinced that this was the solution I needed. But, as things turned out, my wife decided to have a donation-drive (a-la Wikipedia style) and it has been our saving grace.

As far as account expiry goes, I think the Subscription module would likely meet our needs. Give it 12 months and we'll hit the users with that if the next "drive" doesn't go as well as this one.

Login

Who's Online

192 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 192

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits