malexandria
Re: Is XOOPS used for business applications?

with Xoops, you can use it in most any environment (out of the box, or with a little custom code additions), it's only limited by your "imagination." You can check out my main primary site at http://www.eclipsemagazine.com

Jabbas
  • 2002/12/16 2:42

• Jabbas

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/10/21

I agree with the above statement ! XOOPS is adaptable to everyone's needs. I don't really see a limit to its possibilities.. if the developers keep at it, that is.. but things look rather ok in that department

massageatwork.be (in testfase)

Roco
  • 2003/1/6 2:47

• Roco

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/12/29

I have seen some outstanding sites from this post. I have been looking at XOOPS for a week now and it is amazing. I have no background in Php or portal systems just minor knowledge in graphics and html, but I have found the XOOPS system to be a learnable one for me. I have looked at several XOOPS sites and templates in the last week, read a ton of articles, and Jabbas the site you have listed is outstanding. Very interesting the possibilities are endless!
Here is a theme I liked and have just changed a few things to see what it was like.ASWD. Here is a gaming site my partner built for CS and DOD R.I.P.

-Tks

nuker
  • 2003/1/14 17:21

• nuker

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/12/14

i'm actually setting up XOOPS as an intranet. i'm no dev, but i'm learning alot about php and MySQL as i go along and i'm definitely benefitting from the experience.

alot of modules that have been created are useful and easily adaptable to what i need. currenltely a few guys are workin on a module that i just happen to need.

the support is fantastic. XOOPS rules!

dheltzel
  • 2003/1/20 17:48

• dheltzel

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/1/8 1

I have spent literally months looking at different "CMS/Portal/Weblog/Document Mgmt" solutions for my company as well as for web sites of a number of clubs I belong to. I'd love to find a product that would do it all for me, but it seems like that is just not possible with any product out there (including commercial products).

I have installed and started using a bunch of different CMS's, and currently have pilot sites up using slashcode, squishdot, plone, xoops, phpslash, opencms and tiki. At work I have Oracle's commercial product 9iAS as a pilot site. I've tried and discarded a lot of others as well.

I wish there were an un-biased review of the various products and some kind of feature matrix to aid in decision making. I've found some of these, but they are clearly "marketing material", and very biased to a certain product. There are probably white papers available from consultants, but even these are biased in favor of the products they like to install and support.

Each product has a definate "Focus" in it's features, and they support some usages much better than others. For example, XOOPS is a dream to install and admin (nice work guys and gals), but has nothing even approaching the document managment features of Oracle's Application Server or Zope/Plone. For my "club" sites that I run at home, that's a non-issue, so I like XOOPS very much (I like TikiWiki also and am having trouble choosing). However, at work, the lack of good versioning/auditing/rendering makes XOOPS a non-starter for Document Management. It's a shame too, do you know how much we are going to spend for Oracle and Documentum licenses and consultants fees ? Lets' just say it would support the entire XOOPS team in a rather lavish lifestyle for a long time (think "winning the lottery"). We spent about $35k for 2 consultants to have a bunch of meetings and write up a paper telling us the obvious ("You need a Document Management System, yesterday !!").

Anyway, your question about business use is quite hard to answer simply. Fortunately for you, this is a very promising area for consultants, and the more you know about the available solutions, the better you'll be able to serve your clients.

Dennis

ajk
  • 2003/1/20 21:14

• ajk

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/1/19

As long as you are not altering the code other than adding in mods or sblocks available. There should be NO problem with someon charging for their time or consultation to create a custom XOOPS site.

That is my interpertation of the GPL.

However, the ORIGINAL copyright can not be changed and the links must remain. You would need to buy a license to remove or append it if it is offered.

• 2003/2/6 5:29

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/2/6 5

I'm looking for a inventory management system for my company as well.. I've look through lots of software (on/offline product), database system, web-base solutions and find them all too complicated and have too many features.

It seems nobody want to create simple, task-orientated product and it seems DIY is the ONLY way to go.

I am in my 1st week understanding XOOPS and I have already see it as the main platform which I will use in the development stages for three separate business application.

Thank you XOOPS and all those who develop this great platform.

kevinv
  • 2003/4/10 17:54

• kevinv

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/1/4 1

Under the GPL you can sell XOOPS as much as you want (slap it on a CD, put it in a box, sell it at CompUSA). As long as you make the source code available, and you can do NOTHING about someone turning around and selling (or giving away) as many copies of that XOOPS they bought to others.

You can also build modules, from scratch, and put those modules under your own license. However if you incorporate any code from someone else's GPL module, or the core systems, your code must also be released under GPL.

If you modify any of the core or GPL modules, and sell or give away (i.e. distribute) that code then you must make that source code available too, and that code is also covered by the GPL.

If you modify the core and or GPL modules, and do not distribute the code (i.e. for an intranet or system where all clients are purchasing it as a service and it runs on your servers) then you do not need to release the source code.

Of course, this is PHP -- no compilation is possible so technically every time you give someone XOOPS they get the source code anyway... And if you build a module no matter what license you put it under they'll have the source code (so you could sue if they violate the license but it's much harder to hide the code like companies that sell binary-only stuff)

Kevin

shankwc
  • 2003/4/10 18:12

• shankwc

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/9/11

I'm trying to make money from XOOPS as well. I have my own site running it (http://extranet.acetechgroup.com) - am in midst of 2 major customized XOOPS implimentations - which should be ready by the end of the month. I've also been working on some custom modules, which I will be releasing. I think XOOPS has a bright future as the basis for some excellent systems.

mbogosian
  • 2003/4/10 21:20

• mbogosian

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/9/30

Quote:
dheltzel wrote:
I wish there were an un-biased review of the various products and some kind of feature matrix to aid in decision making. I've found some of these, but they are clearly "marketing material", and very biased to a certain product. There are probably white papers available from consultants, but even these are biased in favor of the products they like to install and support.

I don't think there will ever be such a thing as "an un-biased review", but a feature/activity/support/developer philosophy matrix would be really useful.

As far as evaluation is concerned, you should check out Scott Goodwin's OpenSourceCMS.com. It will save you tons of time in your evaluation process (at least of OpenSource CMS solutions), since you don't have to spend an hour on the installation step for each product you're evaluating. It rarely has the absolute latest releases, but they're reasonably up-to-date, and give a good idea of what the product is capable of.

You're right, though, that if you've got a custom problem, no solution is likely to do everything you want right out of the box. Thankfully, most CMS systems like XOOPS have the ability to extend functionality through modules/plug-ins. If you need a custom functionality not provided by the core product, see if anyone else has written a module to do what you want. If not, you can always make on yourself without having to rewrite the product code.

Login

Who's Online

154 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 154

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits