bb2120
Is XOOPS a suitable CMS for this application?
  • 2009/8/8 15:12

• bb2120

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/7/6 1

Hi everyone,
I've built a couple of XOOPS sites in the past but not since the 2.0.13 era - this is my first post in about 3 years. You could say my XOOPS knowledge is a little rusty :)

I've been asked by my stepbrother to make a site for his caravan sales business.

He's very specific about what he's after:

-> Trilingual (Ability to switch between 3 European languages)
-> A page to list new caravan stock
-> A page to list used caravan stock
-> A home page that shows latest stock of used and new caravans.
-> A contact form and a couple of static pages

The caravan stock pages should be quite straightforward, but there are many modules that could do this, and I'm not sure how I'd get the home page to display the latest stock.

The main headache however, is making the site multilingual. Would I need a separate caravan stock module for each language? The one and only administrator would be English.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

kaotik
Re: Is XOOPS a suitable CMS for this application?
  • 2009/8/8 15:42

• kaotik

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/2/19

I think you should go with either a multilanguage module (there are 3 that I can think of) or the multilanguage hack (I can't rememeber the name of link, maybe someone can post it). All of them would acomplish what you want. Then when inserting a caravan, create 1 article/page using [en]good morning[/en] [it]bon giorno[/it] [pt]bom dia[/pt]. This way you only have to maintain one page per caravan. Inside the brackets[] you can place text and images which works great at presenting diferent content depending on the users selected language.
www.kaotik.biz

kaotik
  • 2009/8/8 15:43

• kaotik

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/2/19

Both the multl language modules and hack will also switch your stock module text from one language to another.
www.kaotik.biz

DonCurioso

You have other way. Uses Google Translator like here... of course it´s not the same like kaotik says, but you´ll have your site with more than 40 robotic-translations at same time... more posibilities for sale, only one text, saves time&energy.

It´s only a suggestion
HispaXoops | Xoops España

That's the way i like it! | Nada mejor que una Alhambra bien helada con aceitunas...

frankblack
  • 2009/8/8 16:29

• frankblack

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/6/13

GOOGLE can be used for a quick translation or for a good laugh, but he/she wants to make money and therefore there must be work in it than an automatic translation.

So using the "bracket hacks" is a good start. By the end of the month I am going to release the first? module being multilingual without using brackets for multilingual content. I wish some more developers would spent some time adding this to their modules.

bb2120
  • 2009/8/8 18:30

• bb2120

• Not too shy to talk

Thanks for the helpful replies. XOOPS is sounding more suited to this application than I'd expected.

Google translation is a very good point actually. I'm not sure that he'll like it, but I'll certainly mention it to him.

I just want to clarify how the multilanguage module/hack works. Are you saying that once the module/hack is installed, the admin could simply enter all three translations in the appropriate brackets into the same textarea? That would be brilliant but sounds too good to be true! Would modules need to be rewritten or does it 'just work'?

And which modules would be suitable for displaying the caravan stock lists? I'll be reworking the templates whatever I choose and don't need payment processing so a shop would be overkill. Each, caravan entry just needs a title, description, photo and thumbnail.

Thanks again :)

bumciach
  • 2009/8/8 19:57

• bumciach

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2007/6/25

Quote:

bb2120 wrote:
Are you saying that once the module/hack is installed, the admin could simply enter all three translations in the appropriate brackets into the same textarea? That would be brilliant but sounds too good to be true! Would modules need to be rewritten or does it 'just work'?

Yes, it's true :)
I have played with xlanguage module some time ago. Generally you don't have to modify any module.
But there are some limitations.
For example, the titles of the blocks are 255 chars max. So you cannot overdo the length of the title or the number of languages

DonCurioso

Quote:
But there are some limitations.
For example, the titles of the blocks are 255 chars max. So you cannot overdo the length of the title or the number of languages

If you need more, you can change it... but 255 characters are enough for any title in any language...

Quote:
I just want to clarify how the multilanguage module/hack works. Are you saying that once the module/hack is installed, the admin could simply enter all three translations in the appropriate brackets into the same textarea? That would be brilliant but sounds too good to be true! Would modules need to be rewritten or does it 'just work'?

Just work !!!

Quote:
And which modules would be suitable for displaying the caravan stock lists? I'll be reworking the templates whatever I choose and don't need payment processing so a shop would be overkill. Each, caravan entry just needs a title, description, photo and thumbnail.

With only these four request, any module which manage content can do this.

Classifieds, Cat Ads, News, Oledrion, Mastop Publish... i feel any of them could be really useful.
HispaXoops | Xoops España

That's the way i like it! | Nada mejor que una Alhambra bien helada con aceitunas...

bb2120
  • 2009/8/12 22:16

• bb2120

• Not too shy to talk

Great news! Thanks for the help everyone. I've got a fresh copy of 2.2.3 being FTPed to my server and am looking forward to getting back into the world of XOOPS :)

DanCurioso... I'll try classifieds to begin with.

ghia
  • 2009/8/12 23:21

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

Quote:
I've got a fresh copy of 2.2.3
I hope you meant 2.3.3?

Login

Who's Online

186 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 186

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits