Re: Permission Problem in XOOPS 2.3.2b
  • 2009/6/24 9:53

• arlenens

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/12/25

Thanks I will try to do that and inform them

GreenFlatDog

May I ask which module(s) gave you the problem and how many categories/topic/fields (c/t/f) are having their permission set? And also how many groups you have on the site?

It sounds as if you may have come up against the SUHOSIN issue as Ghia says, if so it is the combination of (c/t/f) and groups that causes the 'failure' and gives you some clue as to what to ask the hoster for.
GFD

arlenens
  • 2009/6/25 5:14

• arlenens

• Just popping in

I have informed our host to adjust the SUHOSIN settings. And now they have given me the phpinfo and asked me which particular thing we want to set.

The Module is the WF-downloads and Permission Settings. There are now 7 groups to access files esp publications. The groups/users are set to access different volumes depending on their subscription. So there will be more groups added, at least once a year. As for the files to be accessed, well we have now 22 volumes at 4 issues each and 10-20 articles per issue. Added to these are the other files for announcement and the like. We did not have problems before but we changed hosts and so encountered this time only.

May I ask then what particular aspect of SUHOSIN setting? Now the suhosin.post.max_vars is set at 200 for both local and master value.

arlenens
  • 2009/6/25 6:55

• arlenens

• Just popping in

This is the info related to suhosin.post in my phpinfo:

suhosin.post.disallow_nul 1 1
suhosin.post.disallow_ws 0 0
suhosin.post.max_array_depth 50 50
suhosin.post.max_array_index_length 64 64
suhosin.post.max_name_length 64 64
suhosin.post.max_totalname_length 256 256
suhosin.post.max_value_length 65000 65000
suhosin.post.max_vars 200 200

ghia
  • 2009/6/25 7:45

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

It should be the suhosin.post.max_vars 200 200, that need a bigger value.
If you can estimate how many permissions can be changed and how many not, you will know the minimum factor.

You speak of a local and public setting, but I assume the local is when you run the browser on the server itself and that may not an option for you, is it?
That would allow to leave the public setting to a safer lower value.

But you are on a collision course to hit that wall again.
The only long term solution will be that the permissions can be set more divised (in stead of all items for all groups, all items per group or all groups per item), but that requires a program changement.

arlenens
  • 2009/6/25 8:28

• arlenens

• Just popping in

ok thanks i will contact them to increase it up to the level that they can as host. we did not have problems with our former host but when we transferred to this new one that's when we meet this. so i am going to ask our old host for the suhosin settings they used before.

GreenFlatDog

Don't forget the suhosin.request.max_vars parameter.

As I understand it this sets the limit for post.max_vars and get.max_vars combined, so it needs to be at least as big as the bigger of the two.

I'm not familiar with WF-Downloads but if the permissions setting page is a table of check boxes with a 'submit' button then count the total number of check boxes. They may be in repeating blocks for each user group which makes it easier.

Then double it (not entirely sure why but my theory is each check box uses two variables in the post array). Then add a few more, say 10, to cover any other variables being posted at the same time.

With your existing setting of 200 it will allow about:
200 - 10 = 190 (10 'other' variables)
190/2 = 95 (1 check box = 2 vars)
95/7 = 13.6 (you say you have 7 groups)

So any more than 13 check boxes per group and you're in trouble!!
GFD

arlenens
  • 2009/7/10 16:11

• arlenens

• Just popping in

yes this is exactly what is going on. our host told me just now that they have already adjusted the settings. however the php info does not register the changes and also i still have the same problems. i will ask them again to review it.

by the way, how come our former host where we had no problem like this did not have any suhosin settings in the php info?

GreenFlatDog

arlenens: Glad to hear you're making progress.

SUHOSIN is an optional extension, not all hosters will be using it.

It can be applied to the server in two ways. The original method was by a patch to the PHP core. I believe this should have shown up in the footer of the CORE section on phpinfo report. I don't know if it would display its parameters.

The more recent method is by an extension like other php extensions. This shows up as its own block in the phpinfo report so you can see all the parameters.
GFD

GreenFlatDog

SUHOSIN update:
Recent tests have uncovered some more information about the GET, POST and REQUEST settings.

My earlier posts reported that the variables count from checkboxes seemed to be 2. So if a form was posting the results from 5 checkboxes expect SUHOSIN to count 10 variables. That seems to be the case when PHP is run on Apache as fast-cgi.

Running PHP in module mode 5 checkboxes are counted as 5 variables.

Something else to trip over!!
GFD

Login

Who's Online

109 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 109

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits