Hakim
reinstallation problem
  • 2009/7/7 10:20

• Hakim

• Just popping in

• Since: 2009/5/28

Finally abandoned my attempt to restore an installation I stuffed up. Deleted everything including sql database and created another.

Created a directory called 'hustings', uploaded htdocs from the downloaded XOOPS package as well as the protector file.

Almost through the installation - up to installing standard modules (I think) pressed continue and program exited with error messages saying cannot find absolute path/hustings/install/list_of_files

Restarting results in a 500 internal server error. Nothing in the error log related to todays installation attempt.

A check with cpanel showed no install directory - it had been renamed to install_delete ...

Any clues?

Hakim (he who shoots himself in the foot daily)

culex
Re: reinstallation problem
  • 2009/7/7 14:13

• culex

• Module Developer

• Since: 2004/9/23

Check mainfile to see if you have the correct urls.

make sure mainfile.php is chmod(0777)

And check also permissions for the dirs
uploads/, xoops_data/ ,xoops_data/caches/, xoops_data/caches/xoops_cache/, xoops_data/caches/smarty_cache/og xoops_data/caches/smarty_compile/ (chmod 0777)

check folder structure so that you'll find xoops_version in www.yoursite.com/hustings/xoops_version.php

run install again. If still error, check to see if any tables are found in your database, or if anything has already been written to your mainfile.php

Hope it works out :)
Programming is like sex:
One mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life.

Hakim
  • 2009/7/8 5:59

• Hakim

• Just popping in

No. Failed again after all the changes listed above. Though this time I get a very primitive menu and a message 'module not found'. I notice during the installation process that mainfile.php has its permissions changed to 0444.
After the upload of original files, there is no xoops_version.php in the hustings directory. A search found 22 of them in various directories and I copied the largest and most recent of them from the module/system directory to hustings. Is this the right file?

I am going to go back to the drawing board and download another installation file and see if that makes any difference.

Mamba
  • 2009/7/8 6:39

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

@ Hakim: Run checksum to see if you have all needed files. To do so, copy the the checksum files from the main directory to your XOOPS directory, and then run it.

@ Culex: Why would he need xoops_version.php in the main directory? It is not part of the installation
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

ghia
  • 2009/7/8 8:06

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

Quote:
@ Culex: Why would he need xoops_version.php in the main directory? It is not part of the installation
This is an advice for checking if modules are placed correct in the directory by the upload, but is irrelevant to this problem.

culex
  • 2009/7/8 8:50

• culex

• Module Developer

Ah yes, ghia + mamba your right :-s So sorry to cause extra confusion Hakim, the xoops_version.php is not part of the installation files but used in modules.

What I meant was to check if the uploaded folder to /hustings was ok. So that mainfile.php is in the root. I don't know how I got xoops_version involved in this.
Programming is like sex:

Hakim
  • 2009/7/8 12:10

• Hakim

• Just popping in

I downloaded a new copy of the installation files from sourceforge. At the very bottom of a long list of files is a funny place to have the core installation files!

Now my understanding is that only the contents of HTDOCS needs to be in the public_html/hustings directory (the XOOPS root) and the protector file replaces mainfile.dist.php after installation is complete. Xoops_data and XOOPS library are copied to a level higher than public_html before installation and those directories and subdirectories are changed to 0777, as is mainfile.php. Is this correct?

Checksum says there are 3295 files.

How do I get XOOPS to load as soon as someone accesses public_html?

Thanks for your patience guy (and gals?). Once I am up and running, I am more than happy to join your documentation team. I don't know much about XOOPS yet (I don't think I needed to say that!) but can certainly write reasonable English and can edit competently.

Hakim

Hakim
  • 2009/7/8 12:14

• Hakim

• Just popping in

Thought I'd better add that I did have a working installation before this fiasco, started by me installing an incompatible module and then deleting the template files from the sql database.

Hakim

culex
  • 2009/7/8 12:38

• culex

• Module Developer

Hope I havent thrown you totally off, and confused you more than good is.

Only now I am confused a little so better ask before jumping to any other conclusions.

You have the content of HTDOCS (xoops root) placed inside a custom folder called Hustings ?

in that case your mainfile.php is found like this "http://www.yoursite.com/public_html/hustings/mainfile.php ??

if you want users to go directly to your XOOPS installation when entering ../public_html/, then the installation needs to be in /public_html/

Now users go to your XOOPS when entering /public_html/huskins/

Did I understand it right ?
Programming is like sex:

Hakim
  • 2009/7/8 13:01

• Hakim

• Just popping in

I will put the contents of htdocs in public_html. Is that what I need to do?

At the moment no one knows of the website.

Hakim

Login

Who's Online

237 user(s) are online (173 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 237

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits