irishrow
xcGallery - Making the Thumbnails look decent
  • 2007/10/13 23:52

• irishrow

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/2/2 1

Does any one have a tip for making the thumbnails look decent? We have used xcGallery in a XOOPS site and while the pictures are fine, the thumbnails are terrible, practically unviewable.

There's a setting in the config which we've changed from 90 to 100, we've increased the size of the thumbnail...all to no avail...the thumbs practically look like negatives...

Any ideas?

Peekay
Re: xcGallery - Making the Thumbnails look decent
  • 2007/10/14 0:37

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

I don't know which version you are using, but try this, from my first post in the module comments
Quote:
It's also important to select the right GD-lib version to get decent quality thumbnails. The default setting is for v1, but most servers will probably have v2.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

wwwdot
  • 2009/6/29 21:51

• wwwdot

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/9/9 1

I've selected each of the options in turn, and there is no difference... The thumbnails all look horrible. What do I do?Quote:

Peekay wrote:
I don't know which version you are using, but try this, from my first post in the module comments
Quote:
It's also important to select the right GD-lib version to get decent quality thumbnails. The default setting is for v1, but most servers will probably have v2.

ghia
  • 2009/6/29 22:44

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

Some kind of pictures let them easier compress then others. When there are no large objects or colour fields on the picture, you will end up with a grey square. See also to have a large range of contrast and good colour balance.
Did you set the quality of jpegs to 100?
Make the thumbnails also not too small eg 128.
Select GD2 for resizing.
And then it will look decent. But it will be a thumbnail after all and not a full fotograph.

wwwdot
  • 2009/6/30 0:40

• wwwdot

• Just popping in

Thank you for the reply, but the problem is still there. Yes, the jpeg quality is set at 100, the thumbnails are plenty big enough (I think they're at 200), and I've selected GD2. You can see my gallery athttp://brunais.com/modules/xcgal/. See the problem I'm talking about? Quote:

ghia wrote:
Some kind of pictures let them easier compress then others. When there are no large objects or colour fields on the picture, you will end up with a grey square. See also to have a large range of contrast and good colour balance.
Did you set the quality of jpegs to 100?
Make the thumbnails also not too small eg 128.
Select GD2 for resizing.
And then it will look decent. But it will be a thumbnail after all and not a full fotograph.

ghia
  • 2009/6/30 0:58

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

It is not only the thumbnail, but also the other (normal) size is affected.
Weird assumption: It seems you have not enough memory to process all three basic colours.
Could you do the following test?
Take eg /modules/xcgal/displayimage.php?pid=14&fullsize=1 and reduce it with your photo editing program from 1600x1200 to 800x600 and 400x300. This would normally have not any visual impact and loss of the kind you are suffering now. Upload them and process them.
How do the thumbnails look?

wwwdot
  • 2009/6/30 1:08

• wwwdot

• Just popping in

Actually, it is the thumbnails and the mid-sized ones that are affected. The full-sized ones are perfect (click on the mid-sized images). So the problem is in the reduction process. Why would I be having this problem while others are not? And choosing the GD2 instead of the default GD1 worked for the person above... I've tried all the options, including ImageMagick, but nothing changes...

skenow
  • 2009/6/30 2:09

• skenow

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/11/17

Did you regenerate the thumbs and midsize AFTER changing your graphics library? Changing the option in preferences will not affect any existing images, only newly uploaded images.

wwwdot
  • 2009/6/30 18:04

• wwwdot

• Just popping in

Thank you so much! I deleted all the pictures and re-added them, and now it's fine! Bless you!!! Quote:

skenow wrote:
Did you regenerate the thumbs and midsize AFTER changing your graphics library? Changing the option in preferences will not affect any existing images, only newly uploaded images.

Login

Who's Online

230 user(s) are online (152 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 230

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits