sailjapan
Re: Slim or fat - Where is competition going?

Quote:
Is XOOPS maybee possible to identify by?
# Overall: big, versatile and powerful
# Power with fast learning, php not a demand (?)
# Somewhat not so "in detail" as some other cms with steeper learing curve.

Would U accept the 3 points as important characteristics for today?

I'd agree with those 3 points.
One of the things I like most about XOOPS is it's ability to do so much (with the addition of modules). Mr.Grey emphasizes the use of the word 'system'. I like the fact that I can treat it as a system on which I can run various 'tools' of my choosing. If XOOPS ever limited itself to being just one thing, I'd probably lose interest.

The thread started off titled "Where is the competition going?". I think it's turning into a thread about where XOOPS should go (which isn't a bad thing at all). I'm very excited about the ideas floating around for the 3.0 branch. I think the "versatile and powerful" part of the first of Mr.Grey's 3 statements above are the key. Whether XOOPS is big or not kind of depends on what one adds to it. Just as long as we have plenty to add on
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

MrGrey
  • 2008/10/29 11:20

• MrGrey

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/4/13

The world of Xoops

Does anyone today grasp the whole world of Xoops?

Does anyone have the total overview on...

# XOOPS modules and development?
# Xoops.org site?
# What cms's are the closest competition?

Yes I'm a noob, but I have made some 100ds of searches on the Xoops.org site and read plenty.

Things that would qualify to new good documents end up in "news" or only in forum.

No one seems to bother about the sections renewal. Modules lack any form of version-compatibility acknowledgement.
When searching old stuff appear BUT NOT PROPER NEW ONES that exist! Some of those are found more like random. From that I would like to suggest that, please...:

A) The existing site with all present containts is moved to a xoopsold.org. The xoops.org site is restarted. Use same structure, all tech and layout as today but clean out all docs, modules, messages etc.. and restart.
OR
B) Do the other way around and start a new xoops3.org site.

I believe that all would benefit from that. Development, newbies, creativity and...
all would get a new, fresh perspective on the contemporary world of XOOPS in all aspects.

emjoven
  • 2008/11/3 3:00

• emjoven

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/8/9 1

I agree with Mr. Grey here, why not create a new XOOPS site for the future version 3.0. This will make it easier for the newbies to find the best Module that works with the latest version of xoops. The Repository section still have modules back from the year 2004.

Right now its very hard to find the latest Module version for the version 2.3 because you need to search the News section to find one.

Mamba
  • 2008/11/3 10:26

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
Right now its very hard to find the latest Module version for the version 2.3 because you need to search the News section to find one.

Good point. We've already published a thread on that, but we need consolidate the info in one place (in the first message). We'll soon publish a list on our Wiki, as well.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

MrGrey
  • 2008/11/6 9:44

• MrGrey

• Just popping in

...this newbie goes bla, bla, bla... again

I guess that the packtpub place as finalist pulled whole lot of beginners, both absolute newbies as my self but also established php-nerds to tryout Xoops.

Now what i think that I see... although my horizont may not be total.

The debate in the forum seem to be very focused on system install, updates and on installing modules... most I think on modules and instaling them. Its not much on templates and themes. The Q's on templates seem also to refer to install and initial website start.

My conclusion is that the effective person would aim at lowering the newbies questions, not by scaring them off though

The effective pathway could then be understould as...

#1. Update and arrange modules for less newbie (starter and pros) problems.

#2. Restart the Xoops.org site (or Xoops3.org)

#3. Slightly polished (editor matching and some other smaller issues etc) system v2.4

After that I believe that the sphere of XOOPS will become more clear and visible... both on issues and opinions about pathway. (no surveys needed before v3)

sailjapan

Another of the things we're currently working on is the FAQ. We've accumulated an awfully large amount of out of date info and it's not been updated in ages.
Look forward to a re-vamped help section soon...ish.
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

MrGrey
  • 2008/11/16 11:34

• MrGrey

• Just popping in

Wich competitors

...would U say are most related or similar to Xoops?

Just my guess for 4 close competitors:

# eZpublish
# Joomla
# e104
# SPIP (contents area)

MrGrey
  • 2009/4/21 14:59

• MrGrey

• Just popping in

Have you seen a3webtech

First they make an interesting grouping of CMS after features:http://www.a3webtech.com/index.php/cms-2.html

Second interesting is a list over Bad CMS faults:http://www.a3webtech.com/index.php/cms-2a.html

I believe this site make sense, perhaps not inventing anything new but trying to make some distinctions and pinpoint things that are valuable to recognise. Although not new it probably still is interetsing for both newbies and developers. Newbiest for its descriptions and developers for structuring "CMS market" and critics.

trabis
  • 2009/4/21 17:47

• trabis

• Core Developer

• Since: 2006/9/1 1

Quote:

However, in this process there are two vital factors that need confirmation before anything else. If the chosen CMS fails on these it really isn't worth going any further.

Step 1: Go the the validator at the W3C and validate some pages of their portfolio sites. A web page needs less than 10 code faults to qualify even as partially correctly coded; and the fewer, the better. Five or less is perhaps an acceptable number, as they may have been introduced by the site owner adding content incorrectly. A small number of fail points like this can also be caused by faulty templates rather than errors in the core application.

Step 2: Page addresses (URLs) should be short, easily typed, clearly relevant to the site's business, and without any symbols in them (&,?, =, etc.).

If they fail miserably on both step 1 and step 2, then please just run away fast and don't look back. You'd be a fool to do otherwise.

After reading this I cannot give credit to the author, sorry.

iunderwood

Trabis,

I read through the rather verbose article there, and it seems that the whole point behind the series of rants is "SEO". While I do appreciate the site's take on standards to make optimization easier to do, they are way, way too hung up on it.

Then again, where I sit in a page rank doesn't matter so much to me when people search for me or my stuff. I also don't run a commercial site either.
++I;
Resized Image

Login

Who's Online

248 user(s) are online (159 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 248

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits