barryc
Uploaded module folders not showing in admin
  • 2009/4/6 16:39

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/3/20

I have a very strange problem, at least to me. I have been working on upgrading my site to XOOPS 2.3.3. For some reason when I upload certain folders to the xoops/modules folder, then look at system admin/modules, I cannot see them. I therefore cannot install them. Other folders do show when uploaded. For example, I have uploaded the modules umfrage and subscription. When I look with admin/system/modules I see no uninstalled modules. Strangely, I have a second XOOPS 2.3.3 installation on the same server that I was using for testing. Those same modules are uploaded to that installation and they do show on the admin pages.

Can anyone suggest an explanation and a fix? It seems there must be some difference between the two installations of Xoops.

Barry Cooper
Barry Cooper
Sweet Home, Oregon

zyspec
Re: Uploaded module folders not showing in admin
  • 2009/4/6 17:46

• zyspec

• Module Developer

• Since: 2004/9/21

Here's a link to what sounds like a similar problem that I had...

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2168677&group_id=41586&atid=430840

I was basically told "it works for me" and this bug report was closed.

I can't tell from your report above if this is the same issue as you're seeing but sounds 'eerily' familiar

barryc
  • 2009/4/6 19:16

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

From what I can see, the problem you refer to was related to Protector being installed. It should be installed on both of the XOOPS installations that I have, and but I just looked, and although the Protector folder is present in the problem installation, it does not show in the list of installed modules (or in the uninstalled ones for that matter). Protector does show as installed in the good system and that one shows all uninstalled modules correctly. I wonder whether this is basis of the problem?

Barry
Barry Cooper
Sweet Home, Oregon

Mamba
  • 2009/4/6 20:21

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Most of the time these are the causes:

* you don't have 777 permission set correctly to the /xoops-data directory and its subdirectories
* you didn't clean up your /cache directory
* there is a conflict with your pre-existing XOOPS_TRUST_PATH directory, after you've updated an existing XOOPS installation (you have to make sure that the mainfile.php points to the correct XOOPS_TRUST_PATH directory
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

de_muis
  • 2009/4/6 20:46

• de_muis

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/11/8

In my opinion it is indeed the protector module.
Disable it and you wil see the uploaded modules.
I am not sure but when I had this problem I think I did it by set the module protector of in de database. It is a few weeks ago i cannot remember.
Good luck.

barryc
  • 2009/4/6 21:38

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

Mamba,

/xoops-data (called xoops-data23 on my installation) is outside the root and it and all folders are set to 777

I have cleaned out caches/smarty_compile multiple times as I worked on changes. I just emptied xoops_cache too. templates_c is also empty. The problem persists.

Here is now my XOOPS_TRUST_PATH is set in mainfile.php:

// For forward compatibility     
// Physical path to the XOOPS library directory WITHOUT trailing slash

define'XOOPS_PATH''/home1/public_html/xoops_lib23' );

// Physical path to the XOOPS datafiles (writable) directory WITHOUT trailing slash

define'XOOPS_VAR_PATH''/home1/akassoc/xoops_data23' );

// Alias of XOOPS_PATH, for compatibility, temporary solution

define("XOOPS_TRUST_PATH"XOOPS_PATH);

I am getting pretty frustrated. I had a second instllation of 2.3.3 that did show the uninstalled modules. It was minimally developed, so I copied files from my problem installation to it and copied the database tables also. Now I have the same problem there. Obviously some file, either in the XOOPS installation or in the db is causing this, but I can't figure out which.

Regarding the protector module, it apparently was not installed in this XOOPS installation, even though I thought I did. Possibly I made a mistake there. mainfile.dist.php does not contain the protector statements and I have set:

$ENABLE_PROTECTOR = false;

in mainfile.php.

I would be happy to give you temporary admin access if you want to look at it. The 2.3.3 site is not live yet as I'm still working on it.

Server details are:

Linux, php 5.2.9, mySQL 5.0.75

An help will be greatly appreciated. I don't particularly want to have to rebuild this whole thing again.

Barry Cooper
Barry Cooper
Sweet Home, Oregon

Mamba
  • 2009/4/6 23:05

• Mamba

Send me a PM with your access info, and I'll look into it.
Support XOOPS => DONATE

barryc
  • 2009/4/7 0:27

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

Just sent the info. Thanks for the offer of help.

BC
Barry Cooper
Sweet Home, Oregon

Mamba
  • 2009/4/7 6:23

• Mamba

OK, here are the issues:

1) The Protector doesn't have access to the XOOPS_TRUST_PATH directory.

You have installed it correctly outside of the Document Root, but even if the permissions are set to 777, the Host doesn't allow the access there. So you have to talk to your host about it.

The reason that the other installation did show the modules, was because that server did allow access to XOOPS_TRUST_PATH directory located outside of the Document Root.

Once I removed the /modules/protector directory, the other "non-installed" modules showed-up, except the Umfrage

2) Regarding Umfrage, you had an old version which didn't work with XOOPS 2.3.3. Once I updated it to 1.0.4, it is now also visible and ready to install.

Good luck with your host, when you talk to them to allow you to access the XOOPS_TRUST_PATH directory outside of Document Root. If not, you might need to change your host.
Support XOOPS => DONATE

Mamba
  • 2009/4/7 6:41

• Mamba

Quote:
I can't tell from your report above if this is the same issue as you're seeing but sounds 'eerily' familiar

Zyspec,

the problem is that if the Protector doesn't have access to XOOPS_TRUST_PATH directory, it removes visibility of itself, and then all the modules that follow it.

The same actually happened to me with AltSys.

It seems like these two modules are very sensitive to it, or XOOPS 2.3.3 makes them sensitive. I'll reopen your bug report, as we should investigate it and find a solution to this over-sensitivity.

As Barry's case show, even experienced XOOPS users might have problems with it, if they are not aware that their host doesn't allow them access to XOOPS_TRUST_PATH directory located outside of Document Root.
Support XOOPS => DONATE

Login

Who's Online

258 user(s) are online (177 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 258

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits